Author Topic: Changing tlx files when publishing???  (Read 4690 times)

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
Changing tlx files when publishing???
« on: February 27, 2008, 10:31:22 PM »
 :-\  Oh Sam, I need your help again.  I created a website for someone and will be using another hosting company than the one I've used the past 6 years. How or what do I change the .tlx files from the cutesite5 website when I use the FTP from my computer to the new host? Evidently, the hosting company cannot accept the .tlx files or want me to create index.html to dump the files in on their site. Guess I have never done that and not sure what they are talking about.

Please help!  :'(
Donna

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Changing tlx files when publishing???
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 12:20:44 AM »
1) The TLX file is the DESIGN file used only by CSB.  The only time you upload this to your host is if you want to store a backup copy.  No other program can use or read the tlx format.

2) The index.htm and other website files are created by CSB in the PREVIEW and the PUBLISH process.  You can assign a specific folder within your My Docs folder to hold all your web pages, then PREVIEW and your pages will be "published locally".  You can also publish an internal company website this way.  Then use an FTP program to upload individual pages (images, etc) up to your host if you want.    Go into the PUBLISH OPTIONS and go to the last tab to set your LOCAL HTML FOLDER location.

3) You CAN manually upload all your pages that are created during the PREVIEW process using FTP program.  But in most cases, you do not need to do that!  CSB allows us to build in MANY hosts!   :kickdancing:  You go into the PUBLISH OPTIONS and go to the HOST tab.  Now click ADD NEW SITE.  Fill in all the ftp information for the new host and save it.  In each of your tlx design files, you will now need to CHOOSE which host you will be using.
Just before you publish you look at the address of the site in the tiny box that holds your PUBLISH button.  Make sure the address you see there is the site you intend to publish.

Take a look at this page showing the publish settings for samisite.  
Each of your hosts will have to have these fields completed.  Take a few minutes to watch the tutorial.

On that page, you will see screen shots that all show SAMISITE settings.

Like many folks that use CSB, I have MANY sites that I access.
Some sites have several TLX files.  Some sites have only one tlx file.
And to complicate things, I even reuse the same host sometimes.  
At my host TCH, I have access to multiple accounts.  So I name the sites in CSB like this:  
TL-powweb, samisite-TCH, CI-TCH, TK-RR, TK-TCH, , etc.  
I can see the name of the site and host immediately. That way I can choose the right publishing settings for each of the website files I work on.  Each tlx file is assigned to the host of my choice.

This also makes it easy when you want to move to a new host.
123 site was hosted on a different server/company.   The old host was called 123-FDN and the new host became 123-TCH.  I could publish to both for a short time then stop publishing to the old one when I was sure the new one was ready to go.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 11:37:47 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 01:39:00 AM »
 :yes:  Again, thank you for the help and getting me out of mess that I created for myself.  I'll let you know when I get this all done, I'm sure I will have another question before I get it done correctly.

Thank you much,
Donna

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 01:36:45 PM »
If you have questions, speak up!  We gladly assist.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )