Author Topic: censorship in China - Firefox Plugin  (Read 6636 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
censorship in China - Firefox Plugin
« on: December 10, 2008, 03:30:12 PM »
"...this plugin routes all internet traffic to computers on the inside of the Chinese firewall, allowing web surfers to experience an Internet identical to that of Chinese"

h**p://www.chinachannel.hk/

Quite interesting information when you scroll down and look at the page.  May have to try it at home....
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
Re: censorship in China - Firefox Plugin
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 06:22:00 AM »
How Interesting! TY Sammy. I blogged this on a site that might be interested. Let us know if you try it. I might.
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 07:17:48 AM »
Interesting. Thanks Sami.

Incidentally, I installed 2 mice on my computer, not quite the double mouse mentioned here, but it is great when your hand gets tired.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 08:52:42 AM »
2 mice?  please explain. 
I use small mice, I get less fatigue with smaller optical mice. 
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 03:21:15 PM »
I alternate the mouse between right and left hand every 2 or 3 months. It seems to have eliminated the shoulder pain I used to get.

Rick
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 04:44:18 PM »
HMMMM>....   Interesting!   
But why have 2 mice?  Why not have just one and change the button orientation for left and right click?

I like the idea of swapping hands. 
I have carpal tunnel in the right wrist.  I had tingling or loss of sensation completely and worse sometimes but the final straw was that I picked up a soda to drink it and it fell from my grasp. Could not hold anything!  All caused by having a keyboard at the wrong height at my previous job.  Repetitious movement at a very bad angle.  Was told my only recourse is surgery. Was told I may be able to get partial use by "resting" the wrist (imobilize, no bending side-to-dide, front-to-back). Spent MONTHS in a brace 24 hours a day, only allowed to have it off in shower.  Yep... It worked.  I changed jobs, got a better angle and now very conscious of my wrist, angle and movement at home and work.  I avoid certain video games (Luxor is better than Zuma but both are BAD for side-to-side movement!) Sometimes I have to wear my brace for a few days to "rest" the wrist, but so far, no surgery!  :boogie:

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 09:54:02 AM »
Hi Sami,
2 mice?  please explain.
They are both USB so their drivers are active at the same time and moving either one moves the mouse pointer.

As they have different shapes, buttons and sizes, the tension that builds up from using one mouse, e.g. keeping the hand, fingers, arm and general posture in a particular position is partly released when the other mouse is used. I avoided having an operation to my hand by simply forcing myself to adapt to another mouse. Now I keep both and swap between the two when needed.

If only I was as ambidextrous as you Rick! They say only very intelligent folks can master the right and left hand equally.

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 05:15:45 PM »
Haha Ed, I didn't say I can do it equally. It does take some time to adapt. But I must say, after that adaptation time, a few hours, it just comes naturally to use either hand. I imagine most people can do it.

Rick

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 06:26:29 PM »
I learned to lefty for my boss's desk.  If I am working at his computer it is necessary!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 05:27:27 AM »
Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny samrt plepoe can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 05:29:44 AM »
Wow, Ed, that is amazing! I could read that at normal speed without hesitation!  :ss-shocked:

Rick

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 05:54:58 AM »
It can be interesting for you to know that I also could read it without vacillation, even if my English is obviously not that good as yours...

For Sami:
Remember yesterday when we talk about highlighting the words in a text that you want somebody read? or at least "catch" when "seeing" the text without not necessarily reading it? well, it's almost the same thing.

Good and interesting argument Ed, thanks.

T
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 06:50:34 AM »
Rick - See, I told you you were smart!

Tony - Your English is very good. My Italian is only good enough to get me into trouble.

Sami -  ???
  • Is there a quick way to Paste an image into a Reply box? E.g. right here, without manually having to upload to a server and then manually linking it to its URL? Reason why I'm asking is that often I want to share an image but just don't have the time to go thru the entire FTP process.
  • Second question: What do the 1st (Insert Flash) and 2nd (Insert Image) message icons, in the second row above the Reply box, do differently? I looks like the Insert Flash has a limited frame size of 200 by 200 pixels.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 11:22:58 AM »
1- I have disallowed people to upload anything to the samisite web space so there is no quick way to do that.  Sorry.  :(  I have enough space for now to do the forum database and my website. But to accept storage of members posted images would gobble the space very quickly!!!  I could revisit this issue and see if I can allow a LIMIT per person....

2- Flash has been disallowed on the forum too.  Space and active content issues to protect the site from nasties...
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 08:46:50 AM »
Hi Sami,

Thanks for the info. Yes, I agree, allowing users to post will quickly use up the space.