Author Topic: How do I...  (Read 3573 times)

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
How do I...
« on: March 26, 2009, 09:13:59 AM »
We have a website that is used for a recreational youth baseball / softball organization.  We have a need to be able to let parents/children know that practice/games are cancelled in the event of bad weather.  A suggestion has come in to send a text notification out for this purpose.  One of the board members is asking if I can add an extra page on the site to allow for people to enter their 10 digit cell number and a drop down box to choose the carrier and a submit button.  Based on the choices it would automatically create the appropriate e-mail address (the cell phone # formatted for text purposes).  I am not sure how this would all be stored...I am so not a web developer...just someone who is helping out with this site.  He said he has someone who can help but I would like a better idea of what he is actually even speaking about and if it is possible with cutesitebuilder.  Here is his e-mail to me:  Can someone translate and tell me if it is possible?

We put up an extra page on the site for field condition text notifications.  On this page there are two fields to enter.  1, your 10 digit cell number and then a drop down box to choose your carrier and a submit button.  Based on those choices it will automatically create the e-mail address that we can send out field notifications to.  He also thought we could do some formatting to keep it live all the time and just send out the e-mail from the application so it stays current.
We would also need some simple text stating we would only use it for field condition updates during the season and major announcements during the off season.  Just so people don’t think there going to get spammed by MJBSA to their phone.

Thanks!
Barb

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: How do I...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 11:00:07 AM »
I would consider using a WIDGET to keep your users informed.

Consider first a TWITTER widget on your web page!  This is the perfect use for twitter.
You set up an account with twitter for your website. Anyone that wants to see it live will be able to see it in the widget window on the web page AND anyone that subscribes to that twitter will receive twitter messages on phones or computer screens.   http://twitter.com/downloads

Using internet explorer, you can see one in use on another CSB built website here:  h**p://www.ussrankin.org  and this is the instruction they give to their visitors:  h**p://www.ussrankin.org/twitter.htm
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »
good advice sammy :)
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 07:12:50 PM »
 :)
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )