Author Topic: HELP! Converting CSB to a MAC  (Read 5285 times)

Offline hidden

• Restricted
HELP! Converting CSB to a MAC
« on: April 22, 2010, 04:24:55 PM »
I have read the FAQ, but I am still having a challenging time.

I created my website on CSB on my PC two years ago. I love it.  It's easy and I am building it myself.  Now I have a MAC and want to transfer my site.  My PC is old and even with upgrades does not perform as well as my MAC.

I read up about some window emulators like Virtual Box etc. But I am not internet savvy. I learn as I go. I also understand the possibility of having to find another software.  But how would i copy and paste from PC to MAC?  and what software should I be looking at?

What would you recommend?  :help:

Check out the site :thankyousign:
www.SnapPopnRock.com

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
Re: HELP! Converting CSB to a MAC
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 04:49:49 PM »
CSB does not run on native Apples with only Mac OS as it was written for Windows. Solution: Some Macs can dual boot with either Windows or Mac OSX. This can be done using Apple Boot Camp to create a partition on your hard drive for Windows programs. All the instructions are on the Apple web site. However, as you mentioned "Windows emulators"; a popular one is Parallels which allows one to run certain Windows software in the Mac OSX. You would do this by booting-up your Mac normally, and then choosing CSB which would then run in virtual Windows. There is a penalty for doing this as it will run slower than it would run on normal Windows, but you might not even notice the difference as presumably your newer Mac is faster than your older PC. I have not run CSB via Parallels (Latest version is 5) so I don't know if it is compatible, but I have run it the Boot Camp root and it works fine.  
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 08:35:23 AM »
Thanks E! Did not know that CSB would run in Boot Camp!  Nice to know.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 09:18:06 PM »
Thank you for the info. :clapping:. I am working it out now... What should the required GB be to run a website?  :thankyousign:

Offline hidden

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 11:04:57 PM »
also, can i download windows xp home edition online or it must be a cd installation? :thankyousign:

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 07:06:40 AM »
The GB question that is asked by Boot Camp when partitioning is not only about the web site, so one has to make adequate provision for the operating system and any additional software that may be installed. The advisable allocation for Windows 7 is 50GB but the minimum is far less. Say that only CSB is run. CSB only requires less than 50 MB to function. If your tlx file and web site goodies is say 500MB of disk space, you would need 50GB+50MB+500MB=50.55GB. However, as software is added as time goes by, anything under 150GB will probably cause a major headache so its better to be prepared now than sorry later.

I don't think Windows XP is available any more, but if it were it would be a huge download eating up a lot of bandwidth.

:dogwalksm: Ed