Author Topic: <iFrame> Need Help Achieving an Objective  (Read 4192 times)

Offline hidden

• Restricted
<iFrame> Need Help Achieving an Objective
« on: April 22, 2011, 10:41:32 PM »
 :help:

Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone could take the time to look at the video I have just prepared that explains in detail the objective I am trying to achieve
with iFrames?  Once you watch the video, it should be very easy to understand what I'm trying to accomplish. I chose to do the video because if I typed it out here, it might become more confusing than it really is. It's really a simple thing I'm trying to achieve.

If you know of a solution, whether it's with PHP or Java script, would you please come back here to the forum and post it here explaing what needs to be done and exactly were I need to place the code?

My video is located here:  peanutxpress.com/iframe/iFrame.html

This would be very much appreciated! Not only will it help me, it might help out others who are maybe trying to do the same thing.

thanks you,

vynum
http://vynum.com

HELPFULL LINKS ON iFrames

btinternet.com/~st_rise/main/mainfram.htm

« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 01:44:48 PM by Samrc »

Offline hidden

• Restricted
Re: <iFrame> Need Help Achieving an Objective
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 11:23:28 PM »
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are using Firefox, when going to the video link above, and you see the video, before you click the play > arrow.
immediately right click on the video to set flash/Firefox to cache at least 10 megs. If you don't do this, you will not see the TOC (Table of Contents) side
bar. I just found this out my self. I had Firefox limiting to caching files to 1 meg. This is to low really for any website.

So, do this and you'll be fine:

1.) Right click on video
2.) click on settings
3.) slide the slider to 10 megs.

This way the TOC will show up along side the video.

thanks again,

vynum
http://vynum.com

HELPFULL LINKS ON iFrames

btinternet.com/~st_rise/main/mainfram.htm

« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 01:06:11 PM by Samrc »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 02:05:09 PM »
I am using a portable device. Not able to se your video.
Will try to view later today when have access to pc.

Thanks for the info re other iframe tutorials. Will take a look.
Removed the links since they conflict with samisite's tutorial for iframes but kept site info for anyone that wants to view. Maybe the other site can advise before I can get to a pc to view...?
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 11:38:53 PM »
sounds great. I really do appreciate it. :clapping:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 01:31:42 AM »
Well.... I have viewed your video a couple times.  Your video did a very good job of explaining your concept, how you want it to work and what it is doing.

Normal iframe behavior:  The web page loads and iframe will always start with the same content loaded, whatever is contained in the iframe tags. <iframe src=___>Originally you had all buttons and menu links on index.html load content into the same iframe on a 3 panel layout.
With buttons on either side of the iframe you were contrained to fit wider content into a small space down the center.
Your new concept...load wider content (external links) into a second iframe instead, on near-duplicate home page index2.html without right border, using a 2 panel layout.
The remaining buttons on the wider page you want to have open in the ORIGINAL index.html page iframe (assigning target to an iframe on a different page)

NOPE. Not gonna happen in any language.  Contrary to the basic iframe behavior. 
Every time index.html loads, you will get the same starting page for that iframe. Period.
If both iframes were on the same page, you could control behavior of one from the other. But not from separate pages.

You MIGHT consider either of the following before going ahead with your concept: 
Though attactive, your design uses an iframe to create a FRAMED website. Most people think of framed pages as static top and side borders while page body is scrollable. Search engines generally do not like them. Generally, the reason is that your main page will have no content. When the code is scanned, and spiders walk your site, your home page will have graphics and links and no related content. By forcing all your main content into the iframe, search engines will not rank you as well as a non-framed page.  For example:  Your goal, your history and other pages have the content. And you certainly do not want to have Google or Yahoo, etc send visitors directly to those "content only" pages!  You expect your visitors to sit on the home page replace the body of the page. Google will say that your home page has no content. And since you do not want the content pages indexed by Google, what good is your website?   Yes you can use Javascript to force your goal and history,etc pages in the iframe everytime, but still, redirecting incoming links is not good practice.  Lowered search results. (Only one program consistently beat the problem by building in the iframe content into the home page also, CSB and it is no longer for sale.  Can read bout the code difference here: http://www.samisite.com/publish/spidersandrobots.htm#frames)  Iframes are terrific for some things but I would not recommend you create a fully framed website around an iframe. 

Having said that, it is YOUR design and if you choose to implement that concept then I would recommend you consider:
1) Best option: Make index.html a 2 panel page, eliminating a need for index2.html. Now all links/buttons can open in the existing iframe "iframebody"
Incorporate the right side elements below the iframe instead, among other options...
Include code that those content pages are forced to open within the iframe or the visitor is bounced to the index.html page. (Keeps the incoming visitor from loading a plain white page with no links, no site id.)
2) OR Change the name of the iframe on index2.html to the same as index.html "iframebody" and make all the links/buttons on index2.html load identically to those on index.html, into the target "iframebody"on that same page.  So once the visitor is sent to that page, they remain there unless they hit home and it takes them back to the original page.

You asked if you could display the "content page" in smaller format (shrink it) to fit within your 3 panel layout, preventing the lower scroll bar.
NOPE.  Iframes are simply a hole cut into your page allowing another page to show through (like a hole cut in paper and laid on top of a magazine.  You do not change the magazine, only allow it to be seen through the hole in the paper.
The only way to clear that lower scroll bar is to either make the content page less wide in it's page layout, and/or widening the iframe to fit.  Either way, it is more designing. (As you have already noted, turning off scroll bars is not the best option. Might work for some applications, but most vistors will not have the exact monitor/resolution/text configuration that you are using for testing and will run into issues seeing the content and get frustrated.)

I am sorry to dash your hopes on this one. It is obvious that you have spent a lot of time and effort on the site and I give you kudos for the work you have done! Very nice.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 08:59:27 AM »
By the way, the link you provided for the iframe info is invalid. 
It takes the user to BTYahoo mail site, not to a website that can be viewed by the public.
You must have referenced a page in your BT Yahoo account.
Will have to have the external URL address.

Samisite's main iframe tutorial
-Samantha