Author Topic: FLASH FIX - get rid of the CLICK TO ACTIVATE in IE  (Read 13275 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
FLASH FIX - get rid of the CLICK TO ACTIVATE in IE
« on: February 17, 2007, 09:08:31 PM »
IE 6 and 7.  Not so needed for IE 8!
Please visit this page for a quick EASY fix to get rid of the dreaded Click to Activate the FLASH notice.    Simple line of code is placed on each page with flash, then upload the .js file to your site (to home directory).

When I hover my mouse over my Flash animations, why do I see the message "click to activate and use this control"?

Due to a legal ruling involving Microsoft, it has changed the way Internet Explorer displays Flash movies. Visitors to your site now have to click the Flash animation to make play it.

If this is not acceptable, there is a workaround.

1) Below the last <object> in your HTML page, insert the following line of Javascript:

<script type="text/javascript" src="ieupdate.js"></script>

2) Download a Javascript file from here.

3) Upload the file to the root of your website space (i.e. the first directory in your website structure) and make sure it is called ieupdate.js.

The message should no longer appear.

You can place the line of code (in step 2) in any pages on your website that have Flash animations. There is only need for the one ieupdate.js file.

Further reading
If you wish to find out more, here are some links that may be of assistance.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/ieupdate
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/activecontent/articles/devletter.html
http://blog.deconcept.com/2005/12/15/internet-explorer-eolas-changes-and-the-flash-plugin/

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 04:45:28 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
Re: FLASH FIX - get rid of the CLICK TO ACTIVATE in IE
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 08:24:01 AM »
Cool  8). Much smaller than the one I have been using up tp now.

:thankyousign:
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• leather patterns specifically for the leather craftsman
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
Thank you sami... Yes I use a lot of flash.... and this fix will be a big help.  I did not know there was a problem.  Again thanx.
God has a bigger purpose for your life than your biggest problem
<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 11:22:00 AM »
I used this fix today but the strangest thing happens and wonder if anyone has had the same problem and knows what is causing it. What happens is: The page loads with the flash following as normal with the border around the flash (the border is visible if you move your mouse pointer over the flash before the page is completely loaded). Then as soon as the Done appears in IE7's status bar, the flash reloads without the border. I don't know why it reloads and am wondering if this is normal. Maybe someone knows if there is another fix that only loads the flash once without a border.

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 10:19:47 AM »
I finally found the solution to the problem. One has to understand the problem before finding the solution and of course I was putting the cart before the horse. :agree:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 11:18:49 AM »
Congrats Etienne.  Glad you got it working.  I never had a problem with the code (using it in MANY places, MANY sites), but thought you had a conflict with another script or something of that nature.

Ironically, the point is going to be moot. 
Microsoft has finally agreed to get rid of that annoying border and click to activate in an IE update.

Microsoft Corp. will strip a "click to activate" warning from Internet Explorer 7 starting next month, a company product manager said yesterday, a side benefit of the settlement that Microsoft struck with Eolas Technologies Inc. in August.
Next month, Microsoft will preview the modified Internet Explorer (IE) that eliminates the warning that's been popping up on screens when users select multimedia content, such as clicking on a link to a Flash file or a PDF document. That notice first appeared in IE in April 2006, when Microsoft began requiring users to approve ActiveX controls the first time they were run from the browser.

Why they had it in the first place is unknown....other than to just plain irritate people.

Still think having the code in your web page is still good because not all visitors will have the IE update that removes the problem.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 02:57:20 PM »
Hi Sami,

I feel like billing Microsoft for wasted time. Can you imagine the value of everyone's time of people all over the globe that have had to ensure their flash is working without the border. It must be millions of dollars of lost effort. I'm glad they are getting rid of it and look forward to wasting some more time when they send the update.

Thanks for the quote. You are indeed up to date with developments!

Rgds,

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 06:22:34 PM »
Meant to post about it earlier so I am glad you brought it back up!  Gave me that  :v8slap: v8slap that I needed!  LOL

I recently had a VERY BAD experience with Windows Updates that totally disabled my Outlook and my Adobe Acrobat! And MS did NOTHING to resolve. Blamed Adobe even though the 2 programs were working fine BEFORE the update and both DISABLED after the update.  I RARELY recommend updating any MS software because the updates often cause more or different problems (sometimes worse) than the issue they are trying to patch.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 05:37:12 AM »
I seem to recall that the reason why Microsoft wanted to force the acceptance of running the ActiveX control that enables flash was because Adobe refused to remove their code that enables flash to take control over a web cam. I understood it to be that if someone browsing the Internet has a web cam attached to their computer, simply by looking at flash on a site would enable the flash owner to control the web cam of the viewers computer and that this would therefor be an infringement on privacy. I checked all my own flash and none are set to control the web cam. There are also other things the flash can control. I don't really know what Adobe are trying to achieve with this as I don't know of any flash application that would require control without the consent of a person viewing flash. I know that when one right clicks of a flash there is an option in the Settings menu that pops up that asks whether the flash owner can control the web cam. do you know what sort of application would need this?