Author Topic: isp.com ip addresses are being blocked by server spam catchers  (Read 3580 times)

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
I have been helping a friend all day and night with a problem with his isp.com address. Recently he has started getting blocked by servers. One of his friends who's server was blocking him contacted his server to have my friend's isp.com address put on a OK or White list. His friend was told that that isp.com is apparently wholesaleing ip addresses and unfortunately to spammers so their range of addresses has been blocked.

He is now able to email that friend but still has problems with others who are on a professional email list. So he can't contact all of those people to request they go through all of that just so they can get his mails.

I checked all over the place to find out if this had been reported or written about in any groups or forums etc. and found no discussions. This might be the first place it is discussed since it is a recent development.

I have suggested he contact them and report the problem and see what they can do for him like possibly put him in another range of addresses. Maybe they aren't aware of the spammers as unlikely as that seems.

I have also suggested he set up a hotmail or a yahoo type of free email address and try using the interface to send out the notices from there instead of from his computer software program with the isp.com address.

Any other suggestions or comments are welcomed. I will keep you posted if there are any new developments.

Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
Re: isp.com ip addresses are being blocked by server spam catchers
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 03:53:23 AM »
My friend just mailed me that isp.com just told him they are working on the problem and to do the same thing I did which was for now to set up a hot mail or yahoo account and send mail from which ever site using the on line interface. They also requested him to send copies of the rejected mail notices to customer service.

I thought isp.com was supposed to be a leading server. This is really not a good thing for them. Once a server gets blocked by other major servers like bell south for example in this case, its bad news!

Well I hope for him and all their other customers that they will resolve it soon.

If they support spammers then hiss boo!  :yuck:
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 10:50:22 AM »
wow.   blacklisted!   Bad news on that one.  And a battle that needs to be fought by the host!

Hosts that do not have very high standards will get blacklisted and stay blacklisted far longer than other hosts. And every account on those servers will get harmed, whether or not they participated in the spamming.

Been with a couple hosts that have had to shut down all traffic on a server to stop a spammer and locate which account(s) were the culprits.  The process can take hours sometimes to identify which are really the problems because the bad guys spoof email addresses from other accounts on the server and make it appear that other accounts on the server are participating.  It's harsh to cease all traffic. Especially on the safe accounts to be down while the host deals with the situation. Happened with samisite a while back. But sometimes its necessary.  And taking harsh steps helps the host to get the server back off the black list.

If that host does not quickly take an active role, the blacklist will stay.

With my daytime employer, we have a gmail account set up so every order from our website goes to 1) our email server and 2) bcc to our gmail account.  If our order emails are interrupted, we still store a copy of the online order externally and can respond from gmail if necessary.  It's our safety net.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Restricted
  • Made it from scissors & paste to digital.......
    • Windowsill Orchids
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 11:26:23 AM »
Check out the spam-reports for the "nameservers" that show up in the whois as well as for the host itself.

Sometimes you can pick different nameservers for a domain, and get away from a wholesale blacklist without changing hosts. And you want to check this part out if you do change to another service, anyway.

If it is his email that is the issue, then he should certainly report the ISP. They are held more responsible than individuals who "spam" and if they are selling email addies without permission in the contract, he might be able to get money back on whatever he paid them by complaining to a consumer agency, because that is a serious violation in most places.

Wherever you go, there you are.....

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 02:09:05 PM »
Check out the spam-reports for the "nameservers" that show up in the whois as well as for the host itself.
Good idea!  Had not thought of that one.

Sometimes you can pick different nameservers for a domain, and get away from a wholesale blacklist without changing hosts.
True.   :yes:  Some servers are more apt to be reported than others, even on good hosts that really do try to police their servers for inappropriate use. 
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )