Author Topic: browser  (Read 6048 times)

Offline hidden

• eugenepictureframing
browser
« on: May 23, 2012, 07:01:15 PM »
It's been awhile since I've been here but I am still using Cutesitebuilder on some of my websites. My new problem (I've never seen this) is when I go to preview my site I get a message that tells me "no web browser installed." How could that be as I am running internet explorer?

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: browser
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 04:25:48 PM »
This error has been around for 10 years.

Just need to define IE or FireFox, Chrome, Safari etc as the Default Browser.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• eugenepictureframing
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 01:53:44 PM »
so how do I "define" Internet Explorer to Cutesitebuilder?

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 11:44:02 AM »
You define it in Internet Explorer.  This tells ALL programs that it is default.

Open IE.
Click TOOLS on menu
Click Internet Options
Click the PROGRAMS tab (look along top of window)
First option is the make IE the DEFAULT.

Similar process if you wanted to use FireFox or Chrome, etc.  Setting is made in browser. This is system-wide.

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• eugenepictureframing
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 06:01:11 AM »
finally got back to the topic ... when I go to internet options ... to programs ... it says internet explorer is the default browser ... but below the phrase "tell me if internet explorer is not ..." there is another phrase that says ... "internet explorer 64 bit cannot be the default browser."  So now what do I do? 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 11:49:17 AM »
Q: Why isn't 64bit IE the default browser? Why can't I set the 64bit version of IE as the default browser?

A: This was an explicit choice made by the IE team, which may change at some point in the future. The problem is that users might inadvertently get "stuck" using the 64bit version and not realize it. This might cause some problems.”
Found that in SEVERAL support sites. Including on MS support.
IE is really becoming a MESS.   here's more info re IE 64 bit version: 
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2009/05/29/q-a-64-bit-internet-explorer.aspx

You may have BOTH versions of IE installed (32bit and 64bit)  Check your system and open IE 32 bit, make it the default browser.

My preference:  do as millions have and move to FireFox!
Wasn't a fan for years but a couple years ago I moved to it and have been so glad I did!
Download it here:  http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/?from=sfx&uid=151435&t=216
Set it as your default browser.  You can import your bookmarks from IE and just keep going.
Less problems (my IE used to crash, FF doesn't).
It is safer, more secure, better password management and bookmarks/favicons are not stored in the temporary files (they don't suddenly disappear). 
A couple great add-ons I use are:
   Download helper
   Adblock Plus
   Web Developer  (my favorite!)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 11:55:26 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 04:25:44 AM »

...It is safer, more secure, better password management and bookmarks/favicons are not stored in the temporary files (they don't suddenly disappear). 

Sami, I do have this problem... What am I doing wrong?
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 12:07:14 PM »
Favicons (icons for the web pages you bookmark) will disappear when you use Internet Explorer.  Fact of life.
The icons are stored in temporary internet files and when you clear your temp files, the favicons (favorites + icons) are dumped too. No way to stop this behavior because Microsoft will not fix it.  MS also has not fixed many of the vulnerabilities that kept causing my computer to have headaches when working on the web.  They forced me to go to other options.

Firefox does not store the favicons in the same way.  When you add a page to your favorites in FireFox, the favicons are stored differently so even when you clear your temp folder, the favicons remain.

As I mentioned before, you might consider downloading FireFox and trying it out.  You might end up making it your primary browser as I did.  Since IE version 8 instabilities, many of us moved away from IE. 
I have IE and still use it for certain sites, but FireFox is my primary browser.  Pages load faster for me, I can grab videos, use web developer to "see" how sites are made, and certainly the saved passwords are easier to manage in than in IE too.  I got tired of web pages locking up in IE.  They don't in FF. Even with the "compatibility mode" IE has difficulty showing old or new web pages. I got tired of popups (even with a popup blocker), don't have them with FF. FF plays well with my photo and web building programs.

Use whichever browser YOU like.  It is a personal choice.   
There are compromises no matter which browser you use.  For me, FF has the least downside, most to gain.
I know Rick also uses FF as primary. 

FF Favicons:  Bookmarks imported from IE may have missing favicons. Visit the page.  Delete the bookmark. Copy the URL to clipboard.  Close FF and come back in.  Then visit the page and make a fresh bookmark. This time your favicon will stay.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 01:25:11 PM »
Sorry Sami, I forgot to tell you that I'm using FireFox almost since its beginning... I don't use IE.
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 01:34:52 PM »
Thanks Tony.   :TUP:
Version 9 FF had a known problem with favicons.  Hundreds of posts about that.
Version 10 is supposed to be fixed but some people are still reporting problems with favicons.

Many people are using an add-on to assist with the favicons.
This one checks the data and looks for broken missing links and favicons:
h**ps://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/checkplaces/
It might help you.

Checks your bookmarks are valid and the pages still exist, checks for duplicates and for empty folders and can restore missing favicons. Also checks and compacts (vacuums) your Places database.

h**p://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/922147
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 01:40:08 PM »
Thank you Sami, I'll check it later...
Anyway, it is not  a big problem   :D

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 01:57:45 PM »
While answering you, I decided to check MY version of FF. 
Turns out I have been using version 6! (fully updated, but not current version)

So I went to FIREFOX home page and downloaded the latest version, 13.
Installed it (replaced my old version 6) and now I am good to go again.
THANKS for making me question mine!!!
 :thankyousign: :flowers:

You might check YOUR version too.  Click HELP ABOUT to see what you are running.
You might need to upgrade too.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 03:44:15 PM »
I'm updated with V13 too.
Time ago, I selected FF automatic updating   :TUP:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 07:35:10 PM »
I thought mine was set for auto update. 
Glad I checked!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 02:32:32 PM »
Sami, today FF changed to version 14.0   ;)

Offline hidden

• eugenepictureframing
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »
back again ... I didn't know lots of people have this issue ... I am now using Firefox and liking it ... and thanks again!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 03:05:57 PM »
Glad you are liking it.    :yes:

Be sure to get the add-ons I mentioned.  Very helpful.  And you will need the flash plugin of course.

I would have used FireFox for testing only if Internet Explorer was stable. They forced me to change. 
The browser kept hanging or crashing and having mulitple other difficulties that other people were also reporting so I finally just said it is not worth the headache. 

Firefox has been far superior experience.

Keep IE on your machine. There may be times that certain sites will require IE.

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 03:17:10 PM »
I got and installed the add-on CheckPlaces 2.6.2 but favicons still invisibles...  :(
They do have changed from a dotted empty square to a gray circle with something drawing in that I haven't discovered what is it  ???

I do have IE installed  ;)

Thanks

Offline hidden

• eugenepictureframing
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2012, 11:51:10 AM »
I'm back to say I am now using Firefox also and liking it ... thanks, Sami!