Author Topic: Ability to Highlight text in Yellow...?  (Read 6714 times)

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
Ability to Highlight text in Yellow...?
« on: May 14, 2008, 03:10:45 PM »
I'm doing a marketing letter for a client and he has text highlighted for emphasis. I cannot find this in my manual. I have CSB5. Do we have this capability?  I was going to put the highlighted text in a table and do a background color, but found that won't work where the highlighting is only in part of the paragraph...  Thanks

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
Re: Ability to Highlight text in Yellow...?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 08:02:20 PM »
Maybe you could make the highlighted words a different color if the actual highlighting isn't a real requirement. Otherwise perhaps you might build it in a word file or other program that highlights and then publish that opening it in a Cute container page.
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 10:42:46 PM »
If you just want to have different color text for emphasis, that is simple.  Type/paste in your content.  Then select the characters, words, phrase sentence and click the font color you want to use.  I do this all throughout Samisite.  Most text is navy blue but I use different purples to highlight certain words for emphasis, without changing the background color. This is effective and does not detract from overall page design, yet calls attention to the text.

But if you mean that you want a BACKGROUND color behind the text you must consider HOW you want to do it.  You can use a table to highlight a section of text by turning on background color in cells.

Or you can add code.  CSS works well. I have used it on this page
You will see YELLOW highlight behind the information about the Templates. This should be used sparingly because it can be very distracting, very annoying to visitors!  Works in IE and Firefox:

Put this at the top of your page in an insert HTML box:
<style>
.highlighttext{
background-color:yellow;
font-weight:bold;
color: #6600CC;
}
</style>

Then the text that you want to highlight should be inserted using insert html also like this:

Code: [Select]
<a class="highlighttext" >NEED TEMPLATES?</a>
To make it a LINK, add a bit more:

Code: [Select]
<a class="highlighttext" href="http://www.samisite.com/templates/">OLD TEMPLATES</a>

If you need a full paragraph, you can set a DIV class.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 10:56:05 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 12:37:59 AM »
I didn't realize we could use CSS in CSB5.  Guess I need to wrap my head around that. I am in the process of learning Expression Web (Microsoft) where you can go directly into the html and work in that as well as the wysiwyg. I have not worked in the HTML in CSB5. I've added the affiliate links using the insert HTML, but have not been in and worked with other coding within the document. (Does that make sense?)  I don't think I know how to do that being CSB5 is an editor and not an html document... 

Also, I believe the client wants to use the highlighting that resembles a yellow highlighter. Personally, I'd rather use colored text...

Just to be sure, Sami, is there an easy way to explain about working in code?  I have in the past saved an HTML doc and then added code, but that was with another program.

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 12:45:20 AM »
Sammy - lol at me - I totally forgot you could insert the code.  :v8slap: Just saw marielle's latest post so .. you put what sammy instructed the exact same way you insert your affiliate links somewhere at the top of the page. Then add the others including the text you want highlighted down in the page where you want it. Sammy probably will come and explain it better but if you are up now like I am maybe this will help until then. Its easier than it sounds. lol
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 12:53:36 AM »
Thanks  :unsure:-- I'm not sure where at the top. I don't want to increase that header space that CSB5 did not correct. Does it matter where at the top I place that CSS code insert?  Also, will entering the code in a paragraph, at beginning and end of the phrase needing the highlight, leave clean spacing? It just seemed like the code took up room... but maybe I'm mistaken about that. As I said, I've only used it for affiliate links.

It's been awhile since I've been here. I was reading the forum about CSB5 sites becoming obsolete with new browsers, (seo ?), etc.  Just wondering if I need to pick up the pace in learning my Expression Web... 

Thanks for your support!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 01:56:01 PM »
Rushed for time. .....   This is SIMPLE.  EASY.  FAST. You are asking too many questions and putting up road blocks making this much harder than it is!!! Follow these simple instructions

- I gave you a simple <style> code above.  COPY it.
- Open CSB.
- Open your design file to the web page you want to edit.
- Click your cursor near the top of the text part of the web page.  Not the top border/header.  Just the regular part of the web page (CSB calls it the middle frame).  You do not need to adjust ANYTHING on your page to make it fit in.  It will go into the code that CSB generates and be invisible to your visitors.  I usually add my little style codes just under the page title if I have one.
- Click the INSERT menu on the tool bar.  Select ADVANCED HTML > INSERT HTML, etc.
- You get a box.
- PASTE the style code into the WHITE box.
- Below that, CLICK BROWSE to change your PLACEHOLDER image to some other image, small dot, small box, something that takes up very little space.  Should be a small GIF image from your computer somewhere.  I use a tiny white box with an S in it as my placeholder image.  Anytime I see that S box I know it means there's a style setting.  READ MORE ABOUT CHANGING YOUR PLACEHOLDER IMAGE HERE. My little S box is available for download from that page if you want it or any other placeholder image.
- Click INSERT/OK
Your style code is now in the page.
- Now click your cursor where you want the TEXT.
- Click the INSERT menu on the tool bar.  Select ADVANCED HTML > INSERT HTML, etc.
- You get a box.
- PASTE the text or link code as I mentioned into the WHITE box.
- Click INSERT/OK
- Publish.  Look a the result.  You can tweak as necessary.

Insert HTML box allows you to pass code snippets (ADD THEM) into the CSB page for photo galleries, slideshows, styles, stop right click, stop the image toolbar from hovering over your images in Internet Explorer, .  Samisite.com has hundreds of samples showing what can be done with code snippets!  You can not directly edit the web page code because CSB is a GENERATOR not and EDITOR.  MEW is both like Dreamweaver.

But simply put, you can use CSS style codes to adjust content if you need to do that.
Recommend that you put most/all your style codes together in the same insert HTML toward the top of your web page.  You can use style codes to create rollover buttons (as seen on my home page), to adjust backgrounds, all sorts of stuff!

It's been awhile since I've been here. I was reading the forum about CSB5 sites becoming obsolete with new browsers, (seo ?), etc.
Please check out this thread
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 02:02:26 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 04:24:10 PM »
Thanks... It worked!  I know it might sound weird (after having used this program for so long), but I hadn't been inserting much HTML...  What a concept!   
Signed, Sheepish:) :idea:

Thanks Again...

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 07:50:39 AM »
Glad to be of help!
-Samantha