Author Topic: windows 7  (Read 8614 times)

Offline hidden

• eugenepictureframing
windows 7
« on: February 09, 2010, 09:31:01 PM »
I finally did it ... got a new 'puter. It is a Toshiba Satellite L555D-S7005. It is a 17 inch laptop but it doesn't look much bigger than my Gateway 15"  This is because the screen is only a half inch taller and 2 inches wider. This is so you can watch movies that are mostly in panoramic. Of course my biggest complaint is how much stuff they (Toshiba, Microsoft, Google, etc) already have on the hard drive. There is almost 20 gigs of manure imbedded in the hard drive when you get it! But this is why computers are relatively cheap.
     I have Cutesitebuilder 3 and 4 and they both work in Windows 7. I did have to download (what was it?) a couple of things to make them work ... So for all of you out there in computerland you can rejoice in knowing the cutesitebuilder will serve you for a few more years ....

By the way the price for this ' puter was $449.00! On sale at Office Depot. And this purchase led me to take my first computer (Compaq with windows 98se) to the recylclers ... I finally feel like I'm up to date ... for now!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: windows 7
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 11:41:32 PM »
Thanks for info about CSB 4 and Windows 7!  Great news!!!

You probably had to download the HELP FILE program.  It was discontinued for Vista.
If it was something different, please let us know what it was.

:hapscream:  Congratulations on your new computer.  Sounds like a great deal!    :clapping: :clapping:

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• eugenepictureframing
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 01:14:31 PM »
I do believe it was the winhlp32hlp and winhlp32.cnt ... I put my cutesitebuilder cd in my new computer and it told me what to do and how to get the files ... it was easy ...

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 02:39:40 PM »
WONDERFUL!!!

(Moving thread to CSB Frequently Asked Questions)
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 02:43:55 PM »
On Vista, the following instruction was necessary to get Preview/Publish to work.
May or may not be necessary for Windows 7.  Someone please let us know!

Since you have the problem with PREVIEW function... My first best guess is that
you should assign a specific folder in your publishing settings:

Go into your my docs folder and make a folder to hold your web previews.  Call it
WEBPREVIEW if you want.

PUBLISH > OPTIONS > HTML DIRECTORY.
  Check off box for SAVE COPY OF EXPORTED HTML LOCALLY.
  Use the BROWSE button  to go to the WEBPREVIEW folder, then in the second field
fill in a name of a folder to hold THIS website (if you have more than one website
this becomes very important!).
  Say Ok then try to PREVIEW the site.

This should cause CSB and WINDOWS to work together, avoiding the folder you were having access problems with.
  Don't try to publish until you have previewed once first.
  Then once you are successful, you can UNCHECK that LOCAL HTML BOX and publish.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• ???
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 01:15:59 PM »
Im glad to see that the use of CSB with Windows 7 looks positive. (a stay of execution for much loved old software...).
Ive just ordered a new pc with Windows 7 64 bit and will hopefully load CutesiteBuilder 4 onto it over the next few weeks and continue to successfully run my website from it and will let you know if there are any hitches.

Paul Talling
www.derelictlondon.com

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 05:31:34 PM »
OH My!  Tom is using the 32bit version I am sure. Don't know about the 64 bit version!  
Please DO let us know if you can run it on 64 bit version of Win7!

Welcome to the forum Paul!
 :welsign:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 10:26:14 AM »
Tom, which version of Windows 7 do you have that is compatible with CSB? Presently I am trying to a hang on to windows XP with teeth and claws and all, but if I can't, I'd like to know whether the home version of windows 7 will be OK , or the professional version, so I can continue with CSB.
Thnks

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 06:52:12 PM »
Tom told me today:
"As far as my new computer it has Windows 7 home premium ... 64 bit. When I cut my csb 4 cd into it it automatically told me where to go and what to download. I am now running csb5t on my new computer. Along with sitespinner pro."

He also confirmed that only one version of csb can be installed at a time.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• ???
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 05:43:51 PM »
So far so good with my new Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. Downloaded the software again, put in the key code, loaded my existing files and did a small update to my site and no probs so far but will keep you posted....

Mine is a large site and I do notice that the more I load onto the site the longer it takes to save files (it tends to freeze up the pc "not responding" for a few mins) in both XP & Win7 even with 4gb ram! The site is now approx 400mb in size & is becoming a cumbersome beast though Im loathe to give up CSB. I do the "save as" a new file name but its still slow but would rather live with it than learning new software. Besides Im sentimental and CSB has been with me since day 1 - of me uploading a handful of my pics back in 2003 to me gaining exposure in the UK media and getting a major publishing deal for 2 books as a result. :)
..... ah, just been reading other topics on the forum such as dividing up pages, etc so perhaps had better try some housekeeping.

Paul Talling
www.derelictlondon.com
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 05:54:41 PM by derelictlondon »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 08:18:07 PM »
400mb in size & is becoming a cumbersome

:ss-shocked: :ss-shocked: :ss-shocked: :ss-shocked: :ss-shocked:
GOOD GRACIOUS!!!!!!!!
I am AMAZED that you can even open and edit it!!!!

SUBDIRECTORIES are your friends!
You can put in redirects to keep your incoming links on Google/yahoo, etc.
Are you on a windows or linux server?

There are ways too besides subdirectories to get your website file(s) smaller and workable.
Lets start another thread for you and work you through revamp that will not hurt the ratings....

(I have lots of website software and believe me CSB is still my fav!)
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 10:56:11 PM »
Hi, I am wondering if someone has been successful in installing CSB 5 on a WIN 7 32 bit version? I am thinking to upgrade from Win XP to Win 7 home premium. I understand from above that CSB works on the 64  bit version, but my computer will only support a 32 bit version.

Thank you in advance.

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 08:54:47 AM »
Yep, and it worked right from the first time. Windows 7 is much faster than Win Vista and similar to XP in some ways. A few things are different but it is much more stable than both and almost as stable as Mac OS X.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 11:29:57 AM »
Excellent news!!!!!!!!  :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie:
-Samantha