Author Topic: Old Radio Programs  (Read 3768 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Old Radio Programs
« on: November 12, 2012, 02:31:26 AM »
I was working on a project this afternoon and was listening to some of my programs.

I have an external drive with 185GB of radio programs.  (Some of it is duplication because I have some zip files, and extracted files.) But over 100GB is actual mp3 files, and still gathering more...   >:D

One of my favorite sites that had thousands of episodes is gone offline for good.
Another has gone through transformation and makes it harder to get files from them.

OTRR posts their files on Internet Archive at archive.org so I still visit there.
If you like the WHISTLER, they have a certified set that has 30 cds, including 17 cds of radio programs, the rest are the old 1/2 hour TV programs!  Very nice free collection.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
Re: Old Radio Programs
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 06:11:28 AM »
I have never heard of the Whistler, but I read that is was based on The Shadow, which I quite like. I will download some Whistler episodes and see what they are like.

Sami, I hope you have that external drive backed up!  :yes:

:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
Now that you mention it, the Whistler is like the Shadow.  :yes:
I really like the Whistler and had 508 episodes from a site that went offline. 
Always have a few of them on my MP3 Player no matter what else I have on it.  Great to listen to while you shop for groceries.

Don't like the WHISTLE at the beginning of the show, too high pitched.  But the stories are quite good, usually have some twist. 

Yes, I backup my little drives to the big drive.   :TUP:

Some of the shows I have are no longer online.  They have disputed ownership so YES.  I keep it backed up!  I could not replace some of it. And certainly do not have the TIME to do it.

Which shows do you like?

Here's the current list of OTRR certified programs (most available episodes/accurate) and links to get them. I see a few that I want...  :)
http://www.otrr.org/releases/links_current_by_title.php
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 03:01:30 PM »
I downloaded one Whistler zip file so I will check it out.

The ones I like:

The Lone Ranger
Superman
The Shadow
Gunsmoke
Tales of the Texas Rangers
Hop Harrigan
and many others, including some local Australian serials.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 12:44:34 AM »
On my android phone I have a free app that let's me stream thousands of shows free of charge.  Called "old time radio" and it offers menus, you choose category, show, episode and listen.  Not a radio broadcast of old shows. Not random or on their schedule. You just listen to anything when you want, any episode offered, anytime.  Too bad ipad does not have that. Some good apps for streaming but they cost on ipad. Separate apps for each show.

You can get 11 CDs of Gunsmoke episodes from OTRR list I linked to earlier post.
I have those and Texas rangers.  Like both.

I tend to listen to more mystery and crime, whistler, the saint (Vincent price), orson Welles programs, Boston Blackie, broadway is my beat, .....so many others in this area.

I want the twilight zone shows. Hard to get.  Shadow is too. They are usually pay only.

Oh...superman.   I do not have any of them.  Great idea.  Used to hear them on xm for a while.... Now I am on a mission for the man of steel.  If you have a link to those episodes, let me know please.   Found some on Internet archive.....
And some on http://www.oldradioworld.com/

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 12:50:13 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 03:00:06 PM »
I have 2Gb of many Superman episodes (three CD's), but now I am not sure where I got them! :-[ They are very good.

I also have 1.2Gb of Shadow episodes.

If you like, I am happy to put them on CD's and mail to you. Let me know by PM if you are interested.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 02:14:49 AM »
 :D  :D   Wow.  How lovely.
If they are in mp3 or zip format, you could put them in my dropbox folder.  I could "share" a folder with you and that would be just drag and drop. 

Or give you FTP access to a samisite folder and just have you upload.  Faster & cheaper...no burning or mailing... I would just download to my OTR storage disk and listen.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
Happy to do that either way, Sami. Send me the details as soon as possible, as I am off to China again on Monday.

Rick