Author Topic: Text Scrolling over background Image  (Read 7000 times)

Offline hidden

• ???
Text Scrolling over background Image
« on: March 06, 2008, 01:27:47 AM »
I have been using CSB since the Trellix days and finally am stumped. I can scroll the text over my back ground image in the working mode. but when I publish it the text and image move together. The boxes are unchecked so it shouldn't do that.

Any ideas on a fix?

Ron

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Text Scrolling over background Image
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 07:30:23 AM »
Can you point us to a sample so we can see?

Take a look at this background image info.
CSB does have some quirks and I tried to cover most of them in that section.

or this watermark testing may be of help.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 10:33:49 AM »
Hi - Long time no see - I've been tied up with other things :-[ . I'm dropping in because ronleonard sent me a PM about this (probably because I've been nowhere to be found :-[ ). In the belief that if one person asks a question, 10 more people have the same problem but don't ask, here's the reply I sent to him:

The possibility that first comes to mind is that you've always published with frames before and are now publishing without frames. As far as I know, there's no way to scroll text over the background when you publish with frames. It will scroll in design mode, because that always uses frames. A couple of ideas:

If you want to keep your site basically without frames, but have a page or set of pages where the scrolling text is really important, you can publish that part as a subdirectory. If there are a lot of pages involved, it's easiest to do a "save as" and give it a new name, then delete all the pages you don't want changed. If only a page or two, you can start a new .tlx file and copy and paste pages from the current file to the new one, as long as you have both .tlx files open at the same time during the entire process. Since a subdirectory is published separately, you can publish it with frames while still publishing the rest of your site without them. Then, of course, you need to delete the moved pages from your main file and publish it again.

Also, I think Sami has tutorials on her site about scrolling text over a background using a table. I've never tried that and don't know how it's done - or even if it would work in your situation - but you could check it out.

If you haven't switched from publishing with frames to publishing without frames, it would take some more diagnosis to figure out what the problem is. But that's the most common cause when this comes up.

ETA: I just looked at the watermark page Sami linked to, and it covers the frames/no-frames situation, too.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 10:41:24 AM by tgshaw »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 01:28:59 PM »
Nice to see you Trudy!   :boogie: :kickdancing: :boogie:  Even if for only a short time.

Appreciate the post here on the forum!  I agree that it is always best to keep answers like that in public forum for others to read too.  Don't know why a pm was sent  ??? since it was not a private issue (like password, etc matters)... ???

I covered a ton of the background and image/watermark issues with samples. Don't know that ALL the angles were addressed but most were.

(moved post to the CSB general questions area for better organization)
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »
Don't know why a pm was sent   since it was not a private issue (like password, etc matters)...
Well, if he figured it was the only way to get a response from me, he was right - I haven't even been lurking here for a long time. I got an email notification about the PM or would never have seen it.

Maybe that's not so good, though, since I see one completely wrong thing in my reply (if I see one there are likely more).

The last sentence in the first paragraph, of course, should read "As far as I know, there's no way to scroll text over the background when you publish without frames."

Sorry. And a couple more  :-[ :-[

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 05:15:08 PM »
Not to worry.  Just glad you were back for SOME reason!   :D
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 11:11:23 PM »
Problem: The site in question is published with FRAMES.
And the background image scrolls with the page.
But preference is for image to stay put while text scrolls over top, as in a watermark.

Resolution: Shown in my WATERMARKS area, as noted in my previous post!  :yes:
See sample made in CSB on this page.

The code that I used is from Dynamic Drive and instructions for use are on this page.
-Samantha