Author Topic: I have two problems I need help with.  (Read 3706 times)

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
I have two problems I need help with.
« on: June 15, 2013, 07:38:59 PM »
When I look at my published website I have a picture that has below it "this link target can not be found".  Therefore you can not click on the arrow at the top and go to the next 4 pictures I have after it.  In trying to fix the problem I deleted the picture from CSB but it is still in the published website, even though I have resaved and re-published.  How can I fix this problem? 

My 2nd problem is that all of a sudden my website has squares around some of the pictures when you view it.  I also have one page that will not let me type all the way across, it puts my sentence into a column.  Any idea what the problem is? 

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
Re: I have two problems I need help with.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 07:46:42 PM »
I should add that I am not all that good with building a website, but managed to do it somehow.  My website that I have these two problems with is www.lowellgardenclub.com

any help would be appreciated. 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 03:51:48 PM »
Hi!  nice to have you on the forum.

I am at your site.  Can see that you build with CSB 5.  That's good.
If necessary, I would be able to review your working file and tell you what needs to be adjusted.

Lets deal with a few issues:
In trying to fix the problem I deleted the picture from CSB but it is still in the published website, even though I have resaved and re-published.  How can I fix this problem? 
It's possible that the image has been removed from the site, but you can't see the change.
You may be seeing a "cached" version of your website. 
Everytime you visit a website, your computer saves a copy of the webpage on your own computer, in the temporary internet files.  Then the next time you visit, your own PC will show you the page you visited last time, from your own temporary files.  This was done as default behavior on computers for years.  This cut the loading time for people on dial-up connections by at least 1/2.  Now a days that is not the best setting to use. 

You might want to clear your temporary internet files and check the page again.  And change your setting so that you ALWAYS see the page fresh each time.   Here's how to do that in Internet Explorer:
Go into your TOOLS, Internet Options
Under Browsing History, click Settings
Then change your bullet to Every time I visit the webpage.
As you can see in this picture.

When I look at my published website I have a picture that has below it "this link target can not be found".

You did not supply the name of the web page that has this problem so I can see it and advise. I wandered but did not see the item you mention.  Let me know where to find this.

I STRONGLY recommend that you compact your file to remove stray coding leftover in the file.
Open CSB.  Open your website file as normal.
Now choose FILE SAVE AS and give the tlx design file a NEW NAME.
You can add the date into the file, or version # etc.
Example:  if you called your website design file lowellgarden.tlx   Open it, File Save As and give it a new name lowellgarden-2013-06-16.tlx  Then use the NEW file for your website building. This should be done every now and then to keep the CSB design file clean and compact, reducing errors and corruptions in the file.  Always keep your older file so you can go back to it if the newer file develops problems.  Problems with pictures are often (but not always) a sign of corruption in the design file.

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 05:53:19 PM »
Thank you for your help, I did both things you suggested and it did fix the one problem!  I am so happy to get that resolved!   I still have the squares around some of my pictures and still have the one area where it is putting my sentence in a column instead of letting me type across the page.  If you want to take a look it is at www.lowellgardenclub.com and on the page Garden Walk 2013. 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 08:19:58 PM »
I still have the squares around some of my pictures
You have your table lines turned on, showing lines.
Don't turn off your table borders.  They show in FireFox and other browsers.   Make them invisible!
Right click Table  choose Properties  > Table     Hide the table borders using the dotted lines.

still have the one area where it is putting my sentence in a column instead of letting me type across the page
The text showing under the ad for 2013 "Please Click on first picture below to enlarge, then click on arrow at top left corner to go to next picture."  is placed in a table.  Copy the text and placed it directly on the page and it will go across the page.  Delete the table.

Note that if you can not see the table, you are looking at your website in internet explorer.  Firefox shows the tables and table lines when you turn OFF the table lines by removing the checkmark.  Always leave it checked an use the invisible setting (dotted lines) if you want to use tables to align but not show the tables themselves.
You can access hidden tables by right clicking on the table area and going into the TABLE PROPERTIES. to adjust as needed.

Check out FIREFOX browser and the   Web Developer Toolbar.  It allows you to see, highlight tables, cells, find extra spaces, and lots of stuff.... free tools that REALLY help when diagnosing problems.  Or post here and we'll guide you.   :yes:
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 11:15:53 PM »
That fixed it!  Thank you so much!  One more question and this one is not real important, but would make my pages look better.  when I add more pictures, the thumbnails show spaces between them...this always happens unless I put all the pictures on at the same time.  Example is on "our photo" tab
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 09:29:14 PM by Samrc »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 09:28:47 PM »
click to see screen shot of what I see on your page   

You are putting your images into tables. (Your table lines do not show, I made them show on my screen only)
If you are not seeing your tables while editing, blanks and spaces happen that you do not expect.

While you are working with the images, I recommend you turn ON the table lines to a solid line so you can see what you are doing.  Just before publishing, change the table lines to DOTTED to hide them again.
Put your cursor beside one of the inner pics, then
Right click Table  choose Properties  > Table    > borders 

Another thing you might want to do:  IN CSB, on the TOOLS menu, choose OPTIONS, TEXT tab.
Check the box to show hidden characters, especially SPACES.  You will see ...... where ever you have extra spaces.  They DO NOT publish!  You can leave this on all the time (I do) to keep from having          extra     spaces that can cause problems!

You can remove returns between tables, or highlight a table and move it to the line below the previous table to close the gap between existing tables.  Or you can right click and insert rows into existing tables and move your pictures.  Lots of ways to tighten up the page.  :yes:

Your link in your last post was broken so I took it out.  :)
-Samantha