Author Topic: Firefox Plugin problem  (Read 3443 times)

D.Unsup

Firefox Plugin problem
« on: August 27, 2009, 09:46:08 AM »
Having some trouble with getting plugins to work with Firefox and SuSE 9. I have flash installed but it may have came with the install. But I am having trouble with Java it keeps saying I need to get the plugin and it seems to install ok but it still doesnt work right. And with Media player plugins I am trying to use mplayer and its plugin but it doesnt seem to work right. It takes a really long time to start the applet. Does anyone have some tips on making sure firefox is installed right and the plugins are installed correctly.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Firefox Plugin problem
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 11:08:45 AM »
For Java, you should check the version of JAVA installed on your computer.

If you have an old java engine installed the newer java plugins for Firefox and other browsers may not work completely.
Go to your control panel. In the classic mode (XP) you will see a JAVA option. Open it and you will find out information about the version of JAVA you have installed.  Even if "up to date", older versions may not have the same capabilities as newer versions. They also have more vulnerabilities leaving your computer vulnerable to certain kinds of bad stuff.

Sun Java is located here:  http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp
(Note if you are on win 98 or ME you can not use that version.  You must stay with the last 5.0 update.)
If you have a older versions of JAVA on your system, install the new version and then remove all old versions.
Think they are up to 6.16 now. (I am running 6.13 and plugins work fine on my machines)

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )