Author Topic: Web developer toolbars  (Read 5301 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Web developer toolbars
« on: February 13, 2007, 05:42:56 PM »
I have been using WEBTOOL (free version at work, PRO paid version at home) from ICONICO.com for years.  So many nice features that help to diagnose website issues for people.

About a year ago, I got the MICROSOFT version of the Developer toolbar in Internet Explorer.  MS is up to beta 3  and it comes in handy.  View source shows in color coding using that bar and many more things.

Now I installed the FIREFOX Web Developer add-on toolbar!  Will compare them and see which I like best.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 05:48:12 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
Re: Web developer toolbars
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 07:43:35 PM »
This is a general note to anyone reading this -- Not necessarily talking to Samantha here, and not necessarily talking about these specific tool bars, but on behalf of affiliate marketers everywhere, please read all the info about a toolbar or a toolbar plug-in before you decide to use it, to make sure it doesn't mention that it redirects affiliate links to a different site or replaces affiliate links, code, or IDs with its own. This is a big enough problem that it's noticably affecting some affiliates' income, as the replaced link no longer connects the purchase to their site.

A large part of the problem is from scumware - of course, it'll do this without telling you about it. But even some of the well-known toolbars have been involved: Google Toolbar's Auto-link feature, for example. And since Firefox is open source, its plug-ins are vulnerable; a recent addition is one that's supposed to make browsing on Ebay easier, which ends up hijacking auctions you might click on.   

My expectation - and hope - would be that toolbars built for web development would be less likely to do things like this, but it's just a reminder to read all the information on anything you decide to use, and to be careful about what you download. Scumware can come "along for the ride" when you download an infected file, and you'll never know it's there. (And that's definitely not something Samantha needs to be reminded of, but might be a help to someone reading this.)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 09:24:37 PM »
 :whip: Scumware!    Unfortunately you should read the LICENSE for ANY piece of software as you install it. :rules: Even legit software can have ADDITIONAL bonuses...many of which have adware and scumware-like properties and the license USUALLY mentions these extras that can be uninstalled separately through the control panel. But you don't know it is there UNLESS you regularly read the license when you install!
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 08:17:25 AM »
I also installed the FF Web develpment toolbar. There are many tools there.

Thanks for the warning TG.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 08:28:03 AM by Etienne »
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 05:25:57 PM »
FF Web development toolbar is great
I have been using it for a long time and depend on it to troubleshoot css problems foe others/
-turtle

treasure your pets   :turtleblink: