Author Topic: Login for Site Builder website  (Read 6429 times)

Offline hidden

• ???
Login for Site Builder website
« on: March 01, 2007, 09:18:33 PM »
Well, hello.
I am jbe and new. I am considering using Trellix for my small business, and want customers to pay for the entrance annually, and I am looking for a "login" -solution for this Trellix site builder...if there is any. Anyway, I am from Norway and very new ...not yet a site builder.
jbe

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Login for Site Builder website
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 11:50:39 PM »
WELCOME to the forum!!

Trellix Site Builder is great for small personal sites.
But for a business, you may not want to use it.

It is fast and easy to build webpages. Has nice options and is easy to learn.
The problem is that you will not be able to MOVE your website.
There are many reasons you may need to move a website. And they become very important for BUSINESS websites.
1. the host server is not stable
2. you have service problems
3. your site maintenance is poor
4. the price of the services gets too expensive
5. your host can not support functions you need for your website
and more.

I personally had to move our business website to a new host because of price and functions.

When you use a program (like Site Spinner, or Front Page, or Dreamweaver, etc) you can create web pages that can be sent to ANY HOST.  If you have to move to another host, you can.

Trellix Site Builder is a program on the host computer.  You never install it on your own computer.
If you need to move to another host, you will have to REBUILD your website at the new host.  For some people that is not a problem.  They use the Trellix Site Builder website as a start and take the chance that it will be a long time before they need to move the website.  Just as long as you KNOW, you can make the right decision for your business.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 12:00:24 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 11:58:53 PM »
Hi jbe, welcome to Samisite Forum!  :welsign:

Rick
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 11:58:46 AM »
Hi, jbe.  I have a few small personal sites built with online Trellix - the main advantage being that, since it's web based, I can make and publish updates from anywhere. But for a business site - even a small one - the limitations far outweigh that one advantage (and you can get that advantage in many other ways).

You've run into one limitation already. With online Trellix you don't have the access to your files on the server that you need to support a paid log-in, or any other way to limit access (password protect, etc.). You could check with your specific host to see if they provide c-panel or any other kind of file manager that allows you to do this with the online program, but I'd be surprised if they do. If you want to perform any other business-type functions (payment for services, shopping cart, etc.), it will just get more difficult.

Online Trellix is specifically built for personal websites as opposed to business. In fact, the host I have my online Trellix sites with forbids any use for commercial purposes. Your host may not be that strict, but the bottom line is that if you use online Trellix for a business site, you'll be using a program that's not meant to build the kind of site you want, and you'll be fighting that every time you decide to do something new. If you're hoping to get people searching for your site, there are also drawbacks in that area.

I'd suggest you look at the "Website Building Software" part of this forum. Since most of us here use CSB, which has recently been discontinued, finding a simple-to-use program that will do what we need it to is a common interest. I think if you read through the descriptions in that part of the forum, you'll find something that's inexpensive, easy to use, and made with small business sites in mind.