Author Topic: ipod ITOUCH / IPHONE  (Read 25153 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
ipod ITOUCH / IPHONE
« on: June 19, 2009, 06:07:21 PM »
I LOVE  :hearts: LOVE  :hearts: LOVE  :hearts: playing with an ITOUCH 2nd generation that I received as a gift.  SO MUCH FUN!  Music and photos of course. But books (audio and printed), videos, full length movies, you tube, internet, GAMES that are silly and foolish.  I even tried out the flashlight option when working under the computer desk...handy!  I would not have bought it (cost) but have to say if I lost or broke it...I would try to come up with enough to replace it!  It has to be my most favorite gadget.  I have lots of FREE stuff on it, my own music (my mp3s that I burned from my own cd's) so it has not cost me big bucks to play with it.  I use it to "test" internet sites I build for functionality. 

I WISH the battery life was longer when using the video screen.  Since it isn't, I can recommend a simple battery from DURACELL that is GREAT for extending your time on PHONES, ipods (all kinds) and more.  I get an extra 2-3 hours for the ITOUCH on video and far more for music only.  Got mine from Amazon for $19.99.

You can do everything but call and take pictures.  I have a camera and a phone, so I do not need those functions anyway.  
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
Re: ipod ITOUCH / IPHONE
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 08:59:24 PM »
I have the iPhone 3G 16GB which is absolutely fantastic! My favourite gadget too! It does all the same things as your iTouch, but of course is a phone too.

Just waiting to get back home next week so I can update to the recently released v3.0 software. It does a lot more, including stereo bluetooth from the built-in iPod, cut and paste and heaps more.

I also have the 80GB iPod, but mostly use the iPhone these days.

A great gadget!
Rick
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 10:42:38 PM »
I have never owned an ipod. Never got into the ipod drama. Couldn't see the need to have 30, 60, 80 or more gigabytes of space.  I do not listen to THAT much music!  And always have to recharge...  :yuck:  

I got a 1g mp3 player from Iriver because it used a AAA battery.  I took it to Germany with me and listened to a 18 hour book, some music and a few mp3 old-time radio shows.  Upgraded to a 2G version, an IRIVER T60 2GB mp3 player that I hang around my neck on a lariat/headphone. It's a tiny triangular tube (about 2" long), lightweight and so convenient. I listen to a little FM radio, or my music, but usally my audio books and old-time radio shows are on it.  :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:  Has been my constant companion for a couple years.  Cheap. And the AAA battery gives me about 28 hours of play, and replaceable ANYWHERE. Worthless to other people, it is priceless to me! Can EASILY get two 12-16 hour books plus music plus mp3 radio shows on it. I would be lost without it.  When I drive, I plug it into my FM transmitter and listen to the story through the car speakers. Makes the driving less stressful and on 1+ plus drives, it helps to keep me alert! If I had to choose just ONE toy, I would be torn between my low-tech tiny mp3 player, or my high-tech itouch.... Often wear my T60 listening to a story while I am playing a game on my itouch... I COULD put my stories on the itouch too. But it is a bit heavy to hang around the neck!   ;)

I have debated paying the $10 for the v3 upgrade for the itouch....
Most of the helpful stuff would be more important to iphone users... Will probably do it next week...

I like my HTC Mogul smart phone (touch screen, camera, sliding keyboard, mobile windows, GPS/navigation, games, email, and everything I could possibly want in a phone).  Pleased with it, firmware updates are simple and it syncs great with my PC. It works. Does the job well. No complaints.

But I LOVE  :hearts: my Itouch toy in every way: the feel of it, the ease of it, the simplicity of it, the FUN of it.
The only down side is battery time. To have the phone AND itouch in one unit would be lovely, if I could afford to use it... My current phone was under a different usage plan (no longer offered) and I was grandfathered in.  I pay about $60 less per month than most people with my phone, and yet I have a full data plan and full use of all features.  :)  Timing was right.  ATT has the USA rights for the iphone.  I am on Sprint. I won't switch phone service to get an iphone.  BUT, when the iphone contract with ATT expires next year, I am HOPING Sprint will finally offer it, and that I can afford the phone plan...  
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 06:06:38 AM »
I like the iPod 80GB primarily because I can fit all almost all of my music on it. I have hundreds of vinyl records and CD's collected over the years, and I have put almost all of them onto this tiny "cigarette box" - amazing. It is perfect for me because I travel a lot - so when I go up to my boat for a month or two I can easily take all my music with me, and it connects directly into the boat's stereo system - perfect! I don't have any problem with the battery life, it lasts 18 hours or so, and I can easily recharge it from my laptop, power outlet, car, or solar charger. It really is a great gadget.

I bought one of the first iPods ever available - in Hong Kong - before anyone had heard of iPods. It was 20GB and I only recently replaced it with the 80GB.

It probably is worth paying the $10 to upgrade your iTouch to v3. I always believe in keeping software up to date, and the v3 does offer some useful improvements.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 10:00:26 AM »
Replying from my toy.  What a joy.
Did I tell you that my Ipod has a purple shell?!  :). It's so PRETTY and practical too. I will post a pic later today. It's sheer so you can see the ipod logo through it, yet has a pattern inside to maximize the light when it hits the grippy texture. So GLAD I put it on my toy!

Wish there was an easy way to move cursor foreword/backward while in typing mode.  When i try to place my finger into the typed words, it seems I land a character away from where I want to be!
Yes, I expect that I will do the update...maybe I will get that control along with cut and paste???

I can see where the large iPod for someone like you would come in handy.  As long as you have a way to charge it easily, what a benefit to have it on all your travels.  When I was traveling, I had no access to computer so the AAA battery has been a lifesaver. Just run into a grocery or convenience store and more power.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 01:56:18 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 05:56:47 PM »
Sami, here's the trick! When you put your finger on the typed words, you get a "magnified" image of the place where the cursor is, right? No matter where the cursor is, just slide your finger along the line, and the cursor follows you to the place you want it to be! Well, that is the case for the iPhone. I imagine the iTouch is the same.

Rick

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 11:17:09 PM »
:hapscream:  OMG! THANK YOU RICK! I can not believe it!  I usually have it in landscape mode while typing and never saw the magnifying glass!  The keypad takes up most of the horizontal space, and the little magnifying glass was ABOVE the visual area.  When I went back to the portrait layout, I SAW and USED that lovely little tool.  Now I feel stupid for never having seen it. THANK YOU for pointing it out to me!   :boogie:

I played FLIGHT CONTROL for an hour today.  Addicting little nothing game. Well worth the dollar.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 11:33:30 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 03:00:21 AM »
Happy you found that "magnifying glass"!

The games application I use the most is Yahtzee. It is a great little game which is great to play when you have some time to fill in, such as waiting for a plane, etc.

Just got back home, and doing the v3 update right this minute! Will let you know.

Rick

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 09:20:41 AM »
Are you playing IZEE or Yahtzee Adventure? Those are the only games like that.  (I have a real Yahtzee game in my cupboard.  Used to play it or backgammon all the time!)

Just found ColorCross.  I got addicted to that on a co-worker's Nintendo DS unit. For months, I borrowed her DS at lunch so I could play a hidden object game or ColorCross!  It's expensive for the itouch though.

One of the reasons to upgrade to 3.0 is to get a horizontal keyboard.  But I already get one when I am on the forum, etc.  See:

I don't do my mail in this toy.  I use my PHONE for that.
Do you not have a sideways keyboard for the mail?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 10:06:25 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 08:02:13 PM »
Yes, it is Yahtzee Adventures that I use - great graphics!

I do have a sideways keyboard application for mail, but that is now redundant, as v3 has a landscape keyboard for most of the major applications, including mail. The cut and paste from one application to another is great too.

I use the iPhone for mail, but only when away from my PC or laptop. It is quite good for mail, but still not as convenient as the PC.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 05:35:17 PM »
So you LIKE the 3.0 upgrade?   ???

Flight Control, Bloons, and Unblock me free are my favorite game apps right now.
Love the simple built-in clock with the TIMER and STOPWATCH modes - use them all the time. Work in the background while doing other things.  Convenient!  Great for cooking  :P
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 06:37:37 PM »
The 3.0 upgrade is OK. Nothing revolutionary but some useful improvements. Apple says over 100 changes, but actually there are only a handful of useful everyday improvements. For me, these are: stereo bluetooth, landscape keyboard, cut copy and paste between applications (works well!), search facility, and MMS (which should have been there from the beginning)

Having an iPhone, I got v3 for free, but I think if I had an iTouch, I would pay the money, as I always like to keep software up to date.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 06:43:53 PM by rickasaurus »

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 06:33:07 AM »
Are the iPhone speakers good for using it as a hands-free phone when on the move? I am looking for a mobile GSM phone that can take two sim cards which are simultaneously on-air at the same time. Do you know of any?
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 05:26:48 PM »
Ed, the iPhone speakers/mic work well as a hands-free. I use it often. It also has bluetooth so you can use a bluetooth hands-free which I mostly use when driving. I have a bluetooth "bug" which clips onto the sunvisor and works really well. Sorry, not aware of phones which can take two sim cards on air at the same time.

Rick

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 07:06:40 PM »
Sorry, not aware of phones which can take two sim cards on air at the same time.
same here
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 08:00:32 AM »
Hey Sami, you have got me hooked on Flight Control!

I am up to 91 so far on the one with seaplanes. How about you?

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 12:44:51 PM »
 rofl  Addictive isn't it???    rofl   It is really a great time waster!
You have given me a target to reach.  :clapping:   I hate the BIG planes as they do not travel at the same rate. I end up crashing when one of them is in the mix! 

I have been playing UNBLOCK ME (free version) simple wood slider game this weekend. It's a logic game gotta think a few steps ahead on some of them, which is very difficult for me.  I am up to level 194 (skipped about 10 or 11 so far and will have to go back to them.

And I am embarrassed  :-[ to say that I have been a bubble town player for over a year now.  Have the pc version of the software that has the TOWN game and an unlimited arcade version (vertical and ball modes).  The town took me no time at all to complete on the pc, but the arcade mode has very difficult levels that I can not complete. Have gotten my money worth.  This weekend I added bubble town to my itouch too.   :-[ 

I got my 3.0 update (had to pay for it :yuck:) but like the copy/paste function.  Comes in handy for emails (when I am in a wifi range).

Got any other apps lately?

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 05:58:46 PM »
I enjoy Flight Control but it can be frustrating! Yes, I agree, you need to be careful of the faster speed of the larger planes. I also got Unblock Me after you mentioned it, but I am hopeless at it. Had lots of trouble with the lowest level. Seems my brain is not compatible with it! hehe

I have heaps of applications, but not many games. The applications I use the most, apart from the standard ones, are: Wifi Discover (for transferring files between iphone and PC), Skype, Chinese dictionary, Oxford Dictionary, Aye Tides (tide charts), Yahtzee, Shanghai Metro map, iTap (use iPhone as a wireless mouse for controlling my model trains), and most recently, Flight Control.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 06:28:12 PM »
I use my phone for mapping/navigation since I can be connected to the phone network just about everywhere.
Skype might be quite nice on the itouch for here at home...HMMM... will consider that one...

I need a wifi app...since I have the itouch instead of iphone, I do not have constant connectivity.
Can connect at home/work only at this point.
That limits the connected 'uses' compared to an iphone.  
So I call it my 'toy'.
I tend to use it for games, reading books, listening to audio files.  

I was pleased to find that just before going to see the new star trek movie, I was able to download and read the 4 star trek comic books that tell the story of the how Spock went back in time and who the bad guy from the movie really is. (:-[ guilty pleasure)

I have my 8GB unit almost full.  Lots of apps.  I have a spanish dictionary (not very good) and a spanish tutor (again not very good). Still looking for better of those.  

Your ITAP looks really neat!  Has some good reviews too.  Would never have thought about using your phone as a wireless mouse!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 10:28:18 PM »
Flight control has now added a free update that allows itouch and iphones to interact!
If you have someone near you with compatible equipment you can send your planes to them!!!    rofl
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 01:37:27 AM »
Just got the update. I will give it a try. My wife has an iPhone too.

Rick

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 09:19:47 AM »
I am so sad.   :verysad:   no one to play it with  :verysad:
The people around here with iphones are to SERIOUS and will not PLAY.   :'(
And my family/friends all have other types of equipment. No itouch/iphones.    :verysad:

Tell me how it goes!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 06:20:36 PM »
Oh! So sad!  :'(

I did not have time to try it yet. Hmm, I wonder if it can work over the internet, then we could play together!  >:D

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 04:54:33 PM »
Neat idea  :clapping:    That flight control looks like it would be a fun 2 player game, sending planes to the other person.

I have been playing TAP DEFENSE too.   (I am a fan of the online game bloon tower defense kongregate.com/games/Ninjakiwi/bloons-tower-defense and tap defense is the closest I have found for the itouch.)  
Told you I consider this my TOY.   :D  Like the quick little games that take only a few minutes to play. Can fit them in at the bank, waiting in line somewhere, etc.

I have a nintendo ds too that would allow multi-player games. And one of my co-workers was bringing hers so we could battle during lunch, but they no longer allow them on the property.  She was accessing hers during working time :nofinger: so none of us get to play during lunch. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 05:14:26 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 06:22:44 PM »
I only have a few games on my iPhone. Generally I am not so interested in computer games, and have none on my PCs. I have the ones on the iPhone for exactly the reason you mentioned - they are great for filling in time when waiting for something. Yahtzee is still my favourite of the ones I have.

It is incredible that within 1 year, the Apple App Store has around 13,000 games!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 07:06:38 PM »
I am SOOOO impressed with the quality of the apps.  Beautiful and load well.  They can do so much with so little.

The first game I got is tiny, simple and really pretty ugly: TRACE.   FUN logic.  Just have to draw a line for your little man to walk on. Simple. Child's play!   >:D   ADDICTIVE!  Finished it quickly and am HOPING they come out with an update or new version of it.

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2009, 08:12:26 PM »
I found a fantastic new iPhone application today, which shows just how incredibly useful the iPhone/iTouch concept is.

I may have mentioned before, one of my hobbies is model trains. All my trains are digitally controlled by a "DCC" controller so that many trains can run and be independently controlled at the same time. In addition, this controller connects by ethernet to my network, so that it can be even more comprehensively controlled by train controller software on my PC.

Today, I found an iPhone application which turns my iPhone into a wireless controller for the entire train system! It links by wifi to my network, and through that to the DCC controller, emulating all the key functions of the controller. Now I can walk all around my train layout, operating it wirelessly with the iPhone, without the cost of buying an expensive, dedicated wireless controller. Magic!

Rick

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 11:03:18 PM »
 :bdballoon:  :clapping: :bdballoon:  :clapping: :bdballoon:
How fabulous!  What's the name of the app?
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 05:39:37 PM »
TouchCab

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 11:14:19 PM »
WOW!  That app is great in the writeup.  If it does half of what it says, what a find.

(We had trains and cars growing up in Germany.  My dad made this whole room with mountains, people, towns, you name it. Autos had to wait for the trains (had neat crossings with arms that would drop down). Was GREAT family fun.  :clapping: Could each control something. Sold off all to get money to come back to states.  Sad day!) :(

By the way, on the iphone, how do you save a website's user name/password so you don't have to put it in each time?  I have a page on a website that is limited to just one person. He has to put in username/password every time.

Yet this site for me keeps me signed in on my itouch..... Don't know what to tell him to do differently.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 11:19:39 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2009, 06:29:27 AM »
From what I can see, iPhone (Safari) does not have facility to retain login details. It comes back to the particular website to create the cookies. This site also logs me in automatically on my iPhone, I think because the site itself asks you how long you want to stay logged in for, with one option being "forever".

I can't think of any other explanation.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2009, 12:40:50 PM »
Thanks.  I could not find a way and I am glad to find out I am not blind.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2009, 06:43:01 AM »
I'm allowed to upgrade my mobile phone according to contract rules, and have been considering the new iPhone 3Gs (especially for it's clear screen) but am not sure I will adapt easily as I have been using the Windows Mobile OS (currently WM6) on various devices such as a Motorola non-touch screen device or a touch screen device such as a Samsung i780 which is very flexible and there is tons of software on the web, some free but often not worth the hassle of installing. Have any of you had the experience of both systems and know how they compare? I am asking because as far as I know the Apple iPhone is the only device that can handle the iPhone OS so I can't trial it on my Windows compatible devices. There are lots of reviews on the web but they all seem to be biased.

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2009, 08:24:08 AM »
I can't compare the iPhone with anything I have used Ed. I had an old Palm years ago, but the iPhone is light years ahead of that. It really is an amazing machine, could not do without it now!

Rick

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2009, 09:20:26 AM »
Have any of you had the experience of both systems and know how they compare?
Yup.  Me.  :)  

I have a Sprint Mogul (HTC Mogul PPC-6800) smartphone phone with WM6, touch screen, sliding full keyboard, gps w/navigation software, mobile office (word, excel, powerpoint), Internet Explorer and Skyfire browsers and more.

I also have an Itouch 2g (has all features except phone) and have access to multiple IPhone 3G phones in the office (help to set them up and hear the current comments about them).

As to getting used to the difference of the OS, the iphone is SIMPLE and EASY to learn and use.  I recently recommended to our company owner that when he replace his flip style phones (4 employees) for smart phones, they should go with iphone instead of WM6 powered smartphones. The WM6 is a small computer comes complete with the standard start menu. Two employees are not real tech savy and I knew that the iphone/itunes interface would be a MUCH better fit overall for them.  THEY LOVE the iphone and have had no problems adapting.

I like BOTH.  But I am glad to have two different types of technology.
Each has it's special features and best abilities.
I will gather a few of my thoughts about pro/cons of each both and post later today.  :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 09:30:22 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2009, 12:36:51 PM »
Thanks Rick and Sam. I've used so many add on software programs for Windows Mobile that I've lost track. For me its almost an extension of my arm I can't function without. However, WM can take a long time to make things work whereas it sounds like iPhone just works from day one. Ive done "everything" with WM devices in the past, from presentations to boiling an egg. However, currently my main use is voice calls, email, SMS & MMS, syncing to network, & music when in the air.

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2009, 07:00:27 PM »
With iPhone you can add movies to your music when flying. Many low cost airlines charge for movies these days so I just pull out my iPhone. The picture quality is excellent.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2009, 12:57:55 AM »
Long winded.

I like BOTH.  Each has it's special features and best abilities.
- For internet, most activity, I prefer the Iphone. The movement is natural and you can see the webpages in full or move in to read sections easily. MUCH EASIER to move around the web page and update on the forum, etc.  Iphone/Itouch uses SAFARI for surfing. Quite nice.  But as discussed earlier in this thread, does not remember passwords for secure pages/sites.  I use my itouch to look at existing web pages to see if I need to move/adjust the content to be centered better, etc.  You would be amazed at how handy that aspect is.  Bookmarking is faster and easier. Iphone does not show flash.

- Internet Explorer on WM6 is less responsive, old style (menu driven rather than touch driven) and will not show the webpage in full, tables overlap, pages do not hold the shape properly. However, if you put Skyfire in your WM6 device, it's closer to the iphone experience for looking at and interacting with the web (not the same, but MUCH closer).  MUCH prefer it over my IE in the WM6 phone.  Skyfire does allow you to see flash on your mobile device.  

- Both show PDF documents well but again the navigation onscreen on the iphone is superior.  Some tables in WM6 are good while I have an excel created web page that can not be seen properly in FF on pc or Safari on iphone/itouch.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could open excel and word files fine in itouch to view.  Could not edit either like I can on WM6, but I expect there is probably an app for that.  ;)

- Apps on Iphone/itouch are great, easy to find, easy to install/uninstall/update/backup. Productivity to games, trivia, hardware, can even run your model trains like Rick does with the iphone.  Tons free, many low cost. Generally, they are FAR less expensive than apps for WM6 (compared to what I have bought, considered for both units).  As far as using your phone for presentations, I am not sure if the itouch can do that. Might look at the apps in itunes to see....

- Quality of the screen, imagery is superior on the iphone/itouch vs my Mogul w/WM6.  

- The itouch/iphone plays downloaded movies, tv shows, music, audio books with excellent quality. I could do some of that on my Mogul/WM6 but the screen quality and controls on iphone/itouch are superior for entertainment features.  Note that iphone will not play windows media files and WM6 does not play the files that are compatible w/itouch.  WM6 will work on sites like hulu.com (to watch tv shows online) that work with flash.  Iphone won't, but does work for some videos on YouTube.com  I have watched full length 2+ hour movies on my itouch with amazing clarity. (I have watched a few episodes of missed shows on my cell phone using hulu.com when stuck somewhere waiting for 30 minutes or more...)

- Iphone is easy to load/remove content using Itunes. Easy to choose the content to load on the unit (check boxes in lists).  WM6 uses Active Sync. I have had to upgrade my ram and OS on my Mogul 3 times.  Each time I lose settings, applications must be reinstalled, some lose the progress.  I retain most of the settings but lose some of the special ringtones I use. I have backed up and upgraded the itouch.  Easier and better than WM6. One time while updating the itouch, I got a REALLY BAD error, program said I had to use a backup of the previous settings to fix (would not work at all). It took me less than 5 minutes to get the itouch back to EXACTLY where it had been, then went through the process again to upgrade the OS. Smooth as silk. No data or settings loss even with the major error!! Much prefer that to the Active Sync that is not an exact replica of the WM6 phone.

- The battery on my Mogul WM6 lasts far longer than my itouch.  This is a great disappointment.  Iphones have longer battery life than itouch but still not as strong as my Mogul. Keep a cord available if you have iphone/iitouch and use the screen alot. (Can set the brightness down to help conserve battery).

-  Iphone's upgrade to OS 3.0 gave full copy/paste functions making texting on both about the same for ability and simplicity.  Much prefer my slide-out QWERTY keyboard on my Mogul to the keyboard on the iphone/itouch.  But, when in horizontal mode, the keyboard is wider/bigger on ipod and is acceptable.  Note: If you have fat fingers, you should TRY it first. You can not use a regular stylus with the iphone/itouch. Some men don't care for the onscreen keyboard.  There are special stylus units available for iphones but don't know if they really work as well as finger.  I can use my finger on the Mogul's touch screen, but I prefer using a stylus for some features. Mogul screen stays cleaner (more stylus time = less finger slime).  :) Typing an email on my Mogul is much faster and easier than the iphone/itouch because of the keyboard function.  Also like the tactile feel of the buttons being pushed. Don't get that from onscreen keyboard.

- The iphone/itouch has sensitivity for how level you are holding the unit.  This leads to some fun apps, and some very practical uses.  The unit senses when you have changed from vertical to horizontal mode and will flip your screen without your intervention.  My Mogul will sometimes flip, sometimes I have to remind it.  :P

- Both units file/sort images but the iphone/itouch does it better.  Everything is in one storage area, not part on the phone, part on a storage card.  Sometimes I find it frustrating that if I take an image with my phone, it stores on the phone and I have to move it to the storage card.  Iphone/itouch has ONE storage area. Yes you can make folders to store your images, but easier than WM6.

- WM6 is cranky sometimes. The resources are sometimes slow to recover (opening, closing apps).  I phone tends to recover faster/better but this is something that still plagues the iphone/itouch with some apps that are resource hogs. Overall, itouch/iphone are better than WM6 but both need improvement.  WM6 is more difficult to get around in, but does tend to offer many excellent options.  Iphone OS is simple and straight forward. All options are basically in the SETTINGS area. No real menus like WM6.

- I use my itouch to boil eggs!  Really.  I LOVE the timer in the itouch/iphone.  You can set simple count down timer to go off (like the scifi sound...can hear it in the other room) and use it when I am cooking.  I have a kitchen timer going for one thing, itouch going for something else.

- Phone book in iphone will sync well with OUTLOOK, GMAIL and other software. But if you use business contact manager (BCM) with Outlook, you will require a 3rd party software to get it to work.  There is only one choice for that too and it is expensive. Microsoft will not support ipods, and say so boldly on their site. If you are trying to sync your phone to a SERVER instead of a local pc for email, iphone may not be your best bet at this time.

- Cost...well, here my Mogul with WM6 wins hands down. It was one of the most advanced smart phones when it came out and I chose it over the Palm equivalent for two reasons: slide out keyboard and prefered WM6 to Palm OS (bad experience with another person using it and could NOT get it resolved without a lot of data loss!).  WM6 phone in my area is available on Sprint. The monthly plan I pay for on the Mogul (with touch screen, WM6, gps, navigation, audible, internet, .....more) includes unlimited data and is 1/3 the cost of the iphone plans (in this area).  I am not on the Sprint 3G network. That would bump my cost UP to 2/3 the iphone monthly plan through AT&T. I am satisfied with standard internet access for my phone at this point.  IF Sprint offered the iphone the next time I upgrade, I would consider it strongly, IF the cost of the monthly plan keeps me in the same range I am now.  Of course your phone/data plans will be different than my area but generally speaking the iphone data plans cost more than most other smart phones...they can charge it because people are willing to pay it.   :)  Think that will eventually level out.

Sound quality on phone calls is about the same on my phone/boss's iphone.

As I said, I recommended the iphone to my boss.  He and another employee are very non-tech people and find the controls, app, interface with itunes very easy.  One had a Palm OS on his smart phone and never really learned to use it.  He is zooming through the iphone like a pro. Right choice for him!  

MOGUL/WM6 favorite features: keyboard, mo connection price, MS office fully compatible, stylus, gps/navigation software makes life much easier, battery life
Iphone/Itouch favorite features: "cool" factor, the "it" toy, more sensitive touch screen with FLICK and TILT movements (makes you smile to use it), internet use, entertainment (movies, music, videos, photos) quality is superior to my WM6 unit, ease and quantity of tiny useful apps, smooth interface with pc with less loss than Active Sync.

If you know someone that has an iphone, ask to borrow it.  Get a feel for it.  
If it fits your hands and budget, it will probably fit your needs.  
Impressive piece of technology that just makes you want to find out what ELSE this little thing can do!
Makes the competition look clunky and disorganized by comparison.  
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 10:03:51 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2009, 10:08:42 AM »
 :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
 :thankyousign:
Hi Sami & Rick,

Wow Sami! I read your post with lots of interest. Thanks to you and also to Rick for the good tip. I am a music junkie, so my headphones travel with me and I read books until I am oblidged to put the light off for fear of disturbing the neighboring seats.

Sami, one can download a trial of SPB Shell 3.0 here: h**p://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/?en
It has transformed my WM into a finger friendly almost stylus free touch phone and works exceptionally well on my Samsung i780. I also prefer a hard key keyboard.

The iPhone specs say it has "assisted GPS" navigation and I have no idea what they mean by that. The i780 has a built-in Garmin GPS and software that works well, and one can buy additional maps. TomTom can also be installed on some WM devices. I however, prefer a separate GPS device though.

Overall, the iPhone seems to be the most user friendly PDA/mobile phone. My options are currently; Apple iPhone, Samsung Omnia, or maybe a Blackberry (either the bold or the touch screen one)

Thanks

PS I love the feature on the iPhone where when one takes a photo and say decide to focus on something closer or further, simply by tapping that area on the screen, makes that the focusing point.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2009, 03:02:32 PM »
My mogul could be mostly finger control but the screen is not as sensitive as the ipod unit.  Expects a finer selection than the tip of a finger.  AND that TILT ability is not on my WM6 phone (newer WM6 units will have a version of it).  Iphone was unique, first and best for that feature.

If you are a reader, consider the Iphone for reading.   :yes:
I have a couple book apps on my itouch, including a free KINDLE app!  I can purchase a book from Amazon, download through itunes and read in my itouch.  If I had a Kindle (don't but wish I did) you can sync your reading from both units!  SWEET. Both the reader apps allow excellent control of speed, font (size and type), lighting, colors, makes it very pleasnt to read books from my itouch. Also use Audible downloadable books in both my Mogul and itouch. itouch wins again because my standard headphones fit.  Have to use a converter plug on my Mogul.  :banghead:

Read about the ASSISTED GPS in IPHONE here: h**p://artoftheiphone.com/2008/06/10/iphone-3g-what-is-assisted-gps/

I have a gps chip in my cell phone. And Telenav (sprint navigation) with constant continual updates live. No maps in my phone.  Never becomes outdated since getting live feed each time you connect to the service. Visual maps, Audible directions, can see different types of maps, directions (just arrows, moving map, traffic options, etc). Glad it is part of the phone. No separate hardware, no separate program to load/update.  Fully portable and will connect to server anywhere I get phone service. I have used it as a compass, to locate businesses/phone numbers instead of calling 411 or googling.   Love this service!!!   Would not want to lose it.  Comes in handy, like having a phone directory AND atlas in my pocket...even shows me the gas prices at local stores (right within 6 hours usually!).  My mother has a Tom Tom (made by Garmin) and it is quite nice.  My phone can do everything she can do!

Course if you have access to the web, you can get info live online from NAVTEQ.COM too....directions, traffic, etc.

The way iphone handles photos in general, and taking images is the best I have seen without having special apps installed.

Out of the box, the iphone/itouch does more, more easily and quicker than any phone I have used or tried. Then you add the apps and OMG... What a TOY!  These people really made something Fabulous.

Don't get me wrong. iphone/itouch are not perfect. There are some things they can not do. And Microsoft does not want to play with them.  But in general, the iphone and itouch make you WANT to find new ways to use them!  They trigger imagination....
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 03:14:56 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2009, 06:18:27 AM »
I've thought about the Kindle and the new Kindle DX, but will wait until a color version becomes available, if it does. Audible is great and works very well over the i780 speaker too when e.g. in a car and driving long distances alone. On a plane with a good novel, you can close your eyes, listen and the journey seems shorter. One needs good headphones to block out the background noise though. I've tried noise canceling headphones from Sony, but constant noise still gets through and they only block-out a sudden rise in noise and not all of it, like a bang.

Thanks for the ref. on AGPS which is clear now. The iPhone determines its location on a map from data obtained via cellphone network towers without a GPS radio built-in instead of directly from satellites with a GPS radio. The towers that the iPhone use, are linked to a server that uses GPS.

One thing I still have to find out about is "push email", like the Blackberry has. I can get a similar service from my cellphone service provider (SP) that will provide it for any WM device that has GPRS/3G, for a monthly subscription, but then all my email has to be routed through the SP's server, and I'm unaware of what is implied regarding our mail server set-up for that to work. Another aspect, may be the increased GPRS/3G costs for all the emails. One thing leads to another, never ends!

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2009, 06:34:09 AM »
Ed, I am intrigued! What is the purpose of the novel?  :hapscream:

On a plane with a good novel, you can close your eyes, listen and the journey seems shorter.

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2009, 08:07:23 AM »
I'd say its purpose is entertainment, and in this particular case, the greater the entertainment value the shorter the agony of the being confined to the seat and limited airplane space over the duration of the flight which can be 8-11 hours.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2009, 01:15:04 PM »
Audible is great and works very well over the i780 speaker too when e.g. in a car and driving long distances alone. On a plane with a good novel, you can close your eyes, listen and the journey seems shorter.

ABSOLUTELY!  My Audible account is my one true vice that I really don't want to ever give up.
I plug the mp3 player into my auto (using FM transmitter) and drive long distances listening to books.  Used to rent/borrow tapes and cds.  Then found audible and my life changed for the GOOD!  A trip that I make weekly is several hours round trip. Turn on my book and I do not notice the time. I stay awake better, I am more aware of my surroundings and tuned into the road because my mind is being challenged.  When I flew the last few times, my mp3 player helped keep my sanity.  So much hurry/wait time. And I did not have my PC with me.  When I went to Germany a couple years ago, I loaded my mp3 player with 2 LONG Audible books.  While experiencing train travel through the German countryside, I listened to a book which had sections about the two characters traveling throughout Europe, some on trains...fit with the trip. Added to my enjoyment of the trip!

I have been known to wear my mp3 player, listening to a book, while doing MANY other  tasks.  I wore my mp3 player to work for two years, working at my desk.  Sometimes listening to a book, sometimes music or talk (old radio programs). I have my tiny mp3 player with me in my purse now and when I go grocery shopping later, I will put it on (one ear covered)!

What is the purpose of the novel?

Purpose of a novel????   ??? ??? ???
Oh my! This question makes me ask, Rick are you a pleasure reader?
People accustomed to sitting down to just read for pleasure not work wouldn't usually ask a question like that.
Why do people read books at all?  So many reasons....!
Entertainment.  Enjoyment.  Edification.  Escape.  

In paper, electronic or audio format, it makes no difference to me.  I am an avid reader with a very eclectic taste.
Sappy romance (Harlequin novels) with stupid females are NOT on my reading list!  Political, biographical, murder, investigation, true crime, sci-fi, fantasy, horror are all game!
Most pleasure readers will even read the side of a box or bag if that is all that is available....
 rofl
I work with a lot of people that would NEVER pick up a novel for pleasure. Waste of time.

My headphones were made for only a few years then the company sold that part of the business to another company.  The new company discontinued the line I really like and now produce very HIGH COST units.  I bought several of the type I like from Ebay when they were discontinued (at 12% of original cost!!!).  They do well with noise reduction.  They are not designed to be like the BOSE headsets that block out airplane engines, but do enough for me. I am set for years to come...break a set, grab another from my stash.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 04:26:26 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2009, 07:01:41 PM »
Sorry guys, I missed Ed's point.  :-[ I was wondering what he does with the novel while he has his eyes closed listening to music. Now I realise, he was talking about an audio book! Oops!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2009, 11:36:10 PM »
 rofl rofl rofl :clapping:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2009, 09:10:24 AM »
Rick - now I understand why you asked your question. Audible works with the iPhone and other iPods too:
h**p://www.audible.com/adbl/site/LandingPages/AAXLandingPage.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

I did not know this, but it also works with the Kindle and a Garmin Nuvi, probably via bluetooth.

Sami - I am the same about Audible and have even burned CD's for my Mom as some of the books are burnable. A colleague has the "on the ear" BOSE and bought them because they are slightly smaller than the "over the ear" BOSE type. Initially he thought they were good, but said that wearing them for an hour+ becomes unbearable due to the pressure. If I ever get them I will sacrifice the space saving for the comfort and go for the bigger ones, but gee! they are expensive and I'm not sure they are worth it. I saw a shop in downtown Chicago that is dedicated to BOSE products. Philips has some noise canceling ones too that are more reasonably priced.

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2009, 07:56:29 PM »
Thanks Ed! I was not aware of Audible. Downloading a David Baldacci book right now! Trying out the enhanced audio.

Rick

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2009, 08:08:21 PM »
Audible.com has thousands of books for download and is compatible with virtually all mp3 players.  Even models they do not officially recognize.  I have had 2 Iriver mp3 players (second shown below) and dearly love them. Sound quality is EXCELLENT! Though inexpensive and less storage (compared to ipods) both allowed me to have use AAA batteries.  No matter where I go, this is with me and does not need recharging. Just stop to get a battery and go. Perfect for traveling.  This version has FM radio AND player together and usually hang it from my lariat/headphone combination (love them!). The older one was a bit thicker and no radio but just as great quality of sound.  Audible does not acknowledge the one shown, but it works GREAT with audible.  Currently have 3 books loaded, 120 songs and 12 hours of old radio classics and some interviews.  Plenty of room for me.  I swap content when I finish my books.

Audible came preinstalled on my mogul phone,  :boogie:  works with my itouch  :D , and is installed on my pc and laptop. Any type of recorded material (EXCEPT HARRY POTTER SERIES!) and with the memberships, the cost goes down considerably compared to what I paid for books on cassettes and cds. Some of the "Specials" they offer can save $$ too. I also have burned some on disks for my mom to enjoy.  Offered some stories to my boss (also an avid reader) for driving but she is thinks it would distract her too much.  ???

Good to know about the Bose on ear.  If I flew alot, I would get the big ones.  Otherwise the ones I have are exactly the right fit/sound for me.

Do you ever listen to the weekday New York Times/Wall Street Journal audio subscriptions?  I haven't ever. Might be nice for daily commuters...  

Started my post while you were typing Rick... Glad to see you have given it a try.... You will get hooked!
(The last Baldacci audio I got was split second in audio format 4.  Have not tried the enhanced yet)
I apologize for assuming that you knew what me meant by "Audible" Rick. I understand your novel question now.  Makes perfect sense! (Though at the time you really had me stumped!  :-[)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 08:56:20 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2009, 11:28:55 AM »
I listen to news podcasts regularly, either in iTunes or on my WM device when in the air.

Have you seen MusicBridge (h**p://jrmwillis.googlepages.com), a shareware program which syncs data between WMP and iTunes.