Author Topic: pics and descriptions  (Read 5357 times)

Offline hidden

• eugenepictureframing
pics and descriptions
« on: August 27, 2007, 02:07:47 PM »
This topic is most likely somewhere in the forum but sometimes it takes me forever to find a topic I am looking for ... so my problem is ...  I made a row of small pictures on a webpage with descriptions underneath them. But after they publish they come out out of whack of different screens. The words are not aligned under the pictures. When I made the webpage I would put the pictures in a row and then space the fonts underneath them. So I am thinking this is the problem. How will it come out if I put one picture with the font underneath it - then move over a few spaces and put another picture with fonts underneath it ... and continue down the line. Will this make the pics and fonts come out in line on different screens? How is everyone? It is beautiful in Western Oregon and it looks like an early fall ... time to go catch some salmon....Tom in Oregon

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
Re: pics and descriptions
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 02:37:42 PM »
I would use a table and put the images in a cell and the description below it to keep the together.
-turtle

treasure your pets   :turtleblink:

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 10:23:55 AM »
What turtle said. A two-row table with the pic in the top row and the description in the second row beneath it. You can use the table properties to add spacing between the different pictures. One tip if you haven't used tables before: If you want your borders to be invisible, put your cursor anywhere inside the table, select table>all cells in table>borders, and change both the inner and outer border settings to the dotted lines. This will make them invisible no matter what browser a visitor is using - turning the borders off only works for some.

---------After weeks of both temps and humidity in the high 90's, we've finally had a few relatively cool days in eastern Nebraska. During the hot weather, my brother visited and turned my little second-floor-apartment balcony into a "screened-in porch" so I could open the door and let in fresh air without worrying about the cat believing she could make the jump to the ground floor. On the cooler days now I've been able to have the door open, and she loves "her" porch.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 11:40:04 AM »
 :agree:

-----
Screened porches are a kitties favorite spot in the world.  Can view and dream, can even a lizard if it finds a way in! An no dogs to chase them!
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• eugenepictureframing
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 02:52:34 AM »
Does anyone know of any other way to put the captions underneath a row of pictures evenly without using tables? Or are table the only way to do this?

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 08:02:37 AM »
Tables are the best way as stated by all the above because you can adjust them exactly the way you want. Have you seen Samantha's page here. Without using some form of control, the captions will not 'stay put' especially if your page is scalable to the visitors window size. There are too many variables such as the font type and size, the picture's width and height etc. One can manually code fixed space tags if, say your page frame is fixed in a table itself but its not so simple. There are many ways to do things. Another way is to use flash where you can create e.g. slide shows. You can also use specific software built to scroll pictures, e.g. CoffeeCup Flash Photo Gallery. Yet another way is to use iFrames. Once again, see Samantha's page here. See also this thread in the forum.

Can you post a test page URL so we can see the exact problem?
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 05:15:09 PM »
You didn't say what software you are using but I assume it is cute? In which case tables is the only way I ever found to do what you are describing. Some software such as the one I am using now lets you put anything anywhere you want it on the page without tables. If that is really a big issue for you, there are several out there that let you do that. I use Site Spinner. You can see an example of table free placements that I did with Spinner here: savetheferry.org
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• eugenepictureframing
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 01:46:47 AM »
Thank you all very much. You are all very helpful. I am gathering information for a friend I am helping to build a website with Cute. My websites, www.fishin-musician.com, www.tomwatersriverguide.com, and www.eugenepictureframing.com can use the knowledge I gained from you helpful people. But it is my friend who is building a website to sell photo cards that will benefit most from this forum. She is just starting out and here url is www.oregongiftcards.com. She has tons of pics and captions all through her website. I will have her visit Samisite and check out the information in this forum...she will be happy! And again, Thanks everyone! Tom in Oregon ... It got to 92 degree today!

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 07:17:07 PM »
I looked at her site, and it definitely needs tables. Is there some reason she doesn't want to use them? If the borders were made invisible, it would look just like it does now - except the captions would be beneath the pictures no matter what screen resolution was used.

Offline hidden

• eugenepictureframing
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 01:43:36 AM »
I'm back after a couple of busy days...My friend is completely new to website building. But she is busy now learning to use tables to get those pics and captions under control... I also need to put some pics in tables on my own website. So after you put the pics and fonts in the tables...how do you make the tables invisible when you go to publish?

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 08:00:26 PM »
Right click Table  choose Properties  > Table
leave the border on and hide the table borders selecting the dotted lines.
-turtle

treasure your pets   :turtleblink:

Offline hidden

• eugenepictureframing
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 09:59:03 PM »
thanks you Master!

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner