Author Topic: Best Web Host  (Read 7521 times)

Offline hidden

• ???
Best Web Host
« on: May 23, 2008, 10:56:34 PM »
It has been several years since I used a website host (Valueweb).  I am well versed in CSB 4 and would like a company that accepts this format (CSB4) for the upload.   It will be a non-commerce site at this time, primarily catalog of goods.   

Any recommendations would be helpful..... Oh and did I say I'm cheap.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Best Web Host
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 08:46:40 AM »
CSB tlx design file is not sent to any host.  It is used only on your own machine.
When you publish with it, CSB produces html, php and other website pages that are compatible with any host that allows an FTP connection!  All paid hosts allow that, and some free hosts too.
So....that opens the world to you.

Work with LOTS of hosts, and so many over the years. 
I use TotalChoiceHosting.com  (TCH) for this site and give them my best recommendation.
A starter site is less than $4/mo if you pay for a year ($44), 1400 MB of space, and 40GB of transfer (for emails, upload, download and visitors).  And believe me, it is PLENTY big enough.  They have been reliable for years, offer cPanel (my favorite control panel for websites) and even offer a forum to help!  And many CSB users have moved there.

Another you can consider is GoDaddy.com.  Their price is low also, offer more far more space but the main downside for them is the control panel.  It is confusing and convoluted!

I do not recommend any free sites at this point.  They all add so many ads (pop up, slide in, towers on the side or banners at top and bottom of page that can really cause havoc with your page design.

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 07:19:57 AM »
I contacted Total Choice as well and asked them what they require to host one of my sites. The first question they asked was if I would be transferring my domain. I was rather surprised by their question because I don't know how one can host a site without transferring the domain to the host but assumed that the question implied that there was some sort of prerequisite and I replied 'yes'. This is new stuff to me. In the past I just sent an email to my current ISP and they registered all my domains. Total Choice then said they do not do that part and referred me to h**ps://www.securepaynet.net which gives an error 404 (page does not exist). I don't know what all the 'parts' are but am a bit annoyed at my ignorance so I just left it there.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 11:46:17 AM »
Someone copied the address wrong on that TCH info.
They have one link to the domain registration home page here:
http://www.secureserver.net/default.asp?prog_id=simple&se=&isc=
And my personal link takes me to this page:
https://www.securepaynet.net/gdshop/rhp/default.asp?prog_id=simple&ci=
And the PHONE NUMBERS are:
If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to contact us:
Product and Technical Support:
(480) 624-2500
Billing Support:
(480) 624-2515

Domain registration is separate from your hosting. It is not required that you transfer domain registration to TCH. Usually you do not NEED to transfer your domain registration when you move to a new host!

The domain registration can be done ANYWHERE as long as you have a way to change the DNS (Domain Name Server)pointing record. Kinda like a sign post that directs traffic.  It tells visiting computers to take a left or right to find your website. Each host, each account will assign specific name servers to you if you do not have a dedicated IP address.
- Reputable registrars will give you a way to easily change your DNS and MX records. (MX records are related to email on that domain and where they should go.) These folks also will release the domain from their control so it can be maintained at a different company, if proper steps are taken. 
- Disreputable registrars can require you to host with them to get discounts on the domain name and HOLD that domain name hostage with that host!  These make it very difficult to point to another DNS server. And other registrars require you to keep the domain registration with them no matter where you host. They give you a way to  place new DNS/MX records but make it very difficult to transfer the domain registration.

Most of the accounts I work on the domain is registered at company A and the host is company B.
No problems.  One note...When your host moves you to a new server, you must make sure you are still pointing to the proper DNS record (either the name server or dedicated IP).

Two specific situations:
- I purchased the samisite.com name through TCH and also host with them.  This site points to name servers:
  Domain servers in listed order:
      NS1.TOTALCHOICEHOSTING.COM
      NS2.TOTALCHOICEHOSTING.COM

- lambertusa.com domain name is registered with Network Solutions and hosted with TCH.  When we moved the site from another host, I retained my registration at Network Solution, published my pages to TCH, uploaded files and finally went to Network Solutions and pointed the DNS records to the TCH name servers.  We have emails going to one server, website to a different server and it is simple to control at the name registrar.  There was NO REASON to move the domain registration away from Network Solutions.  We are paid up for many years, they are reliable and responsive.  More expensive than some registrars but the control panel makes it very easy to adjust settings, and they do support IP address records, not just name servers.

This is part of the welcome email from TCH for another account I work on. Note the instruction that you must visit YOUR REGISTRAR to update the DNS record....

DNS Instructions:
==========================================

If you purchased or hosted a new domain with TotalChoice please verify that your DNS pointers match those listed below, as we provide more than one set of DNS pointers. New domains take 24-72 hours to become active.

If you have transferred your domain to TotalChoice, you MUST visit your registrar and update your DNS pointers to the following:

dns3.totalchoicehosting.com
dns4.totalchoicehosting.com

(Please note it should be exactly in the same order)

Once DNS information of any domain has been changed/updated, it will take approximately 24-72 hours for the domain name to be propagated, at which point your site will be viewable by the domain name.

Domain Names are not included in the cost of the hosting plans and MUST be purchased separately.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 12:23:29 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 01:33:45 PM »
Thank you immensely for your posting. As usual, your post is full of information. :clapping:

I think my current ISP falls in the "Disreputable" category because they have been promising me for over 6 months that their uptime would improve and it has not. I have Internet Seer reports to prove it but the reports have had zero impact on my ISP.

While reading your post I have opened the secure site, thanks for the link.

Etienne

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 02:46:24 PM »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 08:29:15 PM »
Glad to help. Calling it the WEB was a good idea...everything interacts and interdepends on something else.
Knowing the terms and what to expect makes it far easier to get around.
I will be adding more to that BASICS post as I think of it....(added more tonight)

Etienne, your tpacc site is registered with TUCOWS.
You can leave your registration there if you want and just move your hosting.
The page I sent you to before was to transfer the DOMAIN registration.  You may or may not want to do that but it is NOT necessary to host at TCH.  The place to get JUST HOSTING with TCH is here.  Find the plan you want and click BUY NOW.

These are the basic steps for moving hosting only:
- You would get a new hosting account with the host of your choice.  When you sign up, you put in the domain name of the site you will be hosting.  Even if you already have another host for that domain, you put that domain in to buy the hosted space.
- Some hosts only offer one type of operating system (only Linux or only Windows).  But many hosts offer your choice between operating systems.
-----Windows: page names are not sensitive to capitalization. You can have the name myfile.htm or MyFile.htm and arrive at the same web page.
-----Linux:  page names are very specific.  MyFile.htm and myfile.htm are two separate pages. Links to web pages, pictures, files of all types must be exact.  Also when the host allows, Linux servers allow the use of .htaccess file to control many website options (password protection, ip blocking, image protection and more)
- You get a welcome email with your site information.
- Some hosts, like TCH, will give you a temporary address to use while you get all the files copied to the new host. Gives you the ability to get all the stuff ready to go.  While preparing the site, you can visit the temporary URL address to check your pages.
- Some hosts, like GoDaddy, don't supply a temporary address for previewing the site while you are preparing it. You can not see the site until your domain name propagates to the new host. 
- Upload all files (CSB and external) to new host.   Note: If you are transfering from a host with cpanel to a new host that also offers cpanel, some hosts, like TCH can do the full transfer for you making it practically painless.  All the settings and files would come over in a single batch!
- After you have all the files in place and have checked them, you go to your domain registrar and POINT to the new host DNS servers.
- 12-72 hours later, your site is fully propagated.  During that time, your site may be seen by some visitors at the OLD host, some may see it on the NEW host.  I like to make a tiny TWEAK to the new hosted files so I can tell the difference.  For example, add an extra link, or line of text or extra image, etc to home page and contact pages.  Then when you visit the site using the normal URL of the site during that 12-72 hour period, you will know WHICH version of the site is being viewed.  Word is spread from computer to computer to computer over the internet.  If your ISP has a quick updating name server, then you will promptly see the change.  If your ISP connects/updates name servers less often it will take you longer to see the NEW version of the page.
- Once the site is fully propagated, you can cancel your old HOSTING account.   Leave the REGISTRAR account active and don't forget to pay for the annual domain registration....it will be SEPARATE from your hosting fees.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 09:32:48 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 08:07:29 AM »
Hi Sami,

I am busy studying your valuable reply :) and will post a progress report in a couple of days when I am back. 8)

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 10:21:35 AM »
This information is invaluable. Its like having a plan all laid out for me. I've even printed it out and will be using it as a checklist.

I also was not aware that .htaccess does'nt work on a MS server. It makes sense because Linux runs Apache on its servers.

I can't thank you enough, Sami.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 01:38:19 PM »
Oh.gracious..I hope I gave you EVERY step.  Oh my....I did say BASIC STEPS....

Lets talk EMAILS.
Are you running emails through your domain name, through the hosted account?
- When you change your DNS settings, you will also update your MX record (for emails) set to point to the new host also if you have email going through the website.
- You will have to build your email accounts again at the new host.
        webmaster@....  and customerservice@..... etcs
- You will need to define each in your email accounts (on the control panel) and set how much space you want to allocate to each.
- If you are on TCH, set your main email address to :fail:   after you build your regular email addresses.  This tells the server that any emails that come in to undefined email addresses go to the blackhole.  They go in and are destroyed. You will never get emails addressed to jim@....sam@.... etc.  Spammers will test HUNDREDS of standard names against your domain name and this stops all unidentified emails from reaching you.  Lovely thing!

You will have to ADD a new host to your CSB list of hosts.  Then using the drop down CHOOSE the new host when you publish.  This leaves the old host intact, but aligns the new host with publishing.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 04:37:40 AM »
We only have a few domain e-mail addresses but I know how to handle this aspect. We also run a members database which is not handled entirely by me but I can say it is very well run and has plenty of protection and anti-spam. Unfortunatelly our current host uses EvolutionWare so I am not familiar with cPanel and :fail: ( :clapping: thanks) but it does have a type of control panel.

8)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 08:42:59 AM »
:fail: is the BLACKHOLE setting for cPanel.
If you use something else, check with the host for a similar setting for your default address. They may have a similar function.

From cPanel: The default email address will "catch" any mail that is sent to an invalid email address for your domain. All mail that is sent to an address that does not exist will go to the default email address. To send all default mail to the main mail account, simply type the user name of your cPanel account in the email address input field. 

Typing :fail: into the email address field defines that all that crud is dumped.  The sender is not notified of a bad address (that only confirms which addresses to avoid, meaning the rest sent to that domain are GOOD and can be sold!).
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 04:46:18 PM »
does TCH stand for Two Cows host?
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 08:25:19 PM »
No.  Tucows is his domain registrar.
TCH = TotalChoiceHosting.com  where samisite.com is hosted.  Link to plans given twice in this thread.  :D
He was considering TCH for his hosting.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 11:20:24 PM »
thanks speed reading after being away for a bit - I missed that connection and got stuck on two cows  :-[

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 12:14:00 PM »
better than being BEHIND the two cows!!!   rofl rofl
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 04:12:20 PM »
 :clapping: rofl