Author Topic: cable tv without wires...!  (Read 6798 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
cable tv without wires...!
« on: April 24, 2008, 04:47:30 PM »
Ok...I admit it....I am a gadget junkie
I like techno toys.  Usually don't get the top of the line (can't afford).  But often get tempted into buying a silly something.  I have ordered a cheap wireless video sender/receiver set.  Can't wait to get it.

Been in the house since 1992 and have little analog 5" B/W tvs in several rooms so I can get the basic AIR stations (antenna, non-cable).

This new toy would allow a second tv in a different room to have the same picture/sound as the first tv, wirelessly on the 2.4 GHz band (with 4 separate channels).  This means that in my old house that has concrete filled internal and external walls I don't have to run cable into my craft room or kitchen or dare I say...the bathroom.  The signal receiver will allow me to turn on the bedroom tv (which is connected to cable) and send the same picture to another television in a non-wired room!   :kickdancing: :boogie: :kickdancing:  You can have more than one receiver in the same house (range is 50-100ft).  When my little black and white analog sets stop receiving signal next year when everything goes digital, I can still receive a CABLE signal on them using this little toy.  :boogie: 
(The living room coaxial cable outlet is 2.5 ft below the ceiling, and caused a HUGE hole in the plaster! Major yuck behind the tv unit just to bring my antenna wire through the house so having something wireless would be lovely.)

Fingers crossed that it works well!   :luck:  Will report back once I get the unit.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: cable tv without wires...!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 12:15:36 AM »
Well I got the kit a week ago...tested it and had partial success.  Set it aside and came back to it again yesterday.

WONDERFUL RESULTS THIS TIME.   I attached the sender unit to the tv in the spare bedroom (where I have my PC). Last week, I hooked up the receiver unit to a 5" BW analog tv in a bathroom, then moved the sender and tv it to the kitchen and reception was fine in both places. One little tv uses coaxial cable, the other uses rca cables and since the kit includes both types of cables, I could set up in minutes! But I could not change channels as advertised...

THIS TIME I got nice reception in 3 different rooms, AND got the remote working in those rooms so I can change channels!  The IR cable that is attached to the sender unit has tiny black boxes on the cable.  The remote signal comes out of these two tiny boxes.  I tried attaching the boxes to the tv and the vcr and it did not work.  But when I put that cable in front of the vcr unit instead of ON the unit, it worked great.   

I am sold on this little piece of wizardry for my house. Will be ordering a second receiver unit so I can have a cheap little BW tv in two rooms that do not have cable wiring. This would mean that the bedroom, kitchen and bath will all have the same cable tv channel! The living room tv can still have a totally different channel if needed. 

NOTE: Next weekend I will try to use my WIRELESS laptop AND the WIRELESS video sender and see if they interfere....Don't have the laptop right now so that test will have to wait. Since I do not use my laptop wirelessly in the house most of the time, it should not be a major issue!
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
Re: cable tv without wires...!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 09:03:54 AM »
Sounds like fun. Keep us posted.
:dogwalksm: Ed