Author Topic: Harry Potter...  (Read 7783 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Harry Potter...
« on: July 18, 2007, 09:37:30 PM »
Well...I just got back from the theater.  Saw Harry Potter 5.
Even though I've read the books, I found my self holding my breath. In my humble opinion, this movie is the best of the series so far.  :clapping:  Anyone else see the movie?

(Yes... I am a nerd and make no apologies for it!  Even paid $4 to Barnes and Noble to have the book 7 delivered to my door this coming saturday. :D Didn't want to fight crowds at bookstores for it on release day.)
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
    • The Slagles
Re: Harry Potter...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 09:27:51 PM »
The NY Times has jumped the gun and published a review of the book today in its online edition.  Don't know if it made any of the print editions.

I didn't read it in case it gave away the ending  :(

I wonder if Ms Rowling will sue them for breach of the release agreement?

Jim

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »
There are copies of a photographed book on the web.  All 784 pages.
The publisher has not said whether or not it is real but I am staying away from it.
I read 3 "supposedly real" posts about the ending of the book.  Each was different.

She dies, he dies, both guys die, ya ya.... :-\
Don't care about the professional reviews  :noshake:...good or bad, I have already bought the book.  :yes:
In fact, for the last 24 hours, I have been watching the book travel via UPS tracking.  It is now in my town!   :boogie: But not listed as out for delivery.  :(

The movie for book 5 was not specific like the book.  In the movie someone is whisked away but you are not sure of his fate. I went with people that do not read the books and they were discussing the fate of that person.  I told them that in the book 5 that person is dead. The word "dead" is used.  Since the movie was vague on that point, I am wondering if they will take license with the movies as we get closer to the end of the movie series.

Book 6 was far darker and more disturbing than the previous ones. Really like the fact that as the characters mature, the drama becomes more dark and evil. So will accept whatever the author has decided is the outcome of the 7 book series. 

When I think about it, I have to say I am a fan of series. Crime series, Fantasy and Sci fi.  Even westerns.
But the Harry Potter series is the first that I have ever read that the STYLE has changed and grown with each book. Most write a continuing story, from different perspectives, or they have different generations, or different locations (battles), etc leading to a final battle that decides the outcome.  But in other series, each book is approximately the same level of committment.  The Potter series is different that way.  Interestingly so.

Some FANTASY series that you may find interesting:
- Piers Anthony Immortals series (fantasy-grabs you from the beginning and throws you into a different realm. It's good against evil with a twist. This series was FUN to read and stayed with me ...the grim reaper/death is a JOB... This series makes you think out of the box. Met the author years ago toward the end of this series. :) Would highly recommend this series!)   His XANTH series is fluff, fast and fun, written for teens.
- Tolkein (of course)
- J D Robb - Death series (crime novels/fantasy/romance - Nora Roberts in sci-fi futuristic setting. light and fun)
- Christopher Stasheff  has several series that are fun:   Warlock series (fantasy, teen level light reading, fun and silly), Starship Troupers (fantasy/scifi, troup of actors), Wizard in Rhyme (fantasy, more adult than the warlock series, more intricate stories).
- Stephen R Donaldson has two that caught my attention: Mordents Need (2 HUGE books that I really enjoyed) and Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (fantasy-dark and depressing - starts with a rape and guilt and everything is tainted by that. Well written but heavy.  Not everyone's cup of tea but I have read the series a couple times.)

ETC....Being an avid reader, I could list for hours...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 10:38:30 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 10:42:58 PM »
Wow Sami we have  a lot of the same books.
I just reread Christopher Stasheff  Warlock series.

Have you looked at Terry Prachette books ?

Thanks for the reminder in the new Harry Potter book, I just ordered it from Amazon.
-turtle

treasure your pets   :turtleblink:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 12:14:14 AM »
Have you looked at Terry Prachette books ?
Nope...not heard of them.  Will take a look!

I just reread Christopher Stasheff  Warlock series.
Very COOL!   :clapping:  Tickled to hear that we share some of these in common!

I am the only one in the office that has a library in their home.  :D  And my collection is no where near what a friend of mine has.  She started me on Stasheff and I started her on Anthony.  :)  I keep certain authors books as they are often reread a few times, a few years apart. Usually enjoy them just as much the second time around, and have forgotten enough of the details they are fresh again.  I suppose if I listed all of them, you would think I am MAD as my collection really reflects a wide variety of moods and tastes.  When I try something new, if I don't care for the author, I pass the book on to others. If I like it, I tend to reach for more from the same author.

Thanks for the reminder in the new Harry Potter book, I just ordered it from Amazon.
I have been tracking my copy on UPS.  It has been in town for more than 24 hours!
 :banghead:

FUNNY NOTE:  Tonight I saw the UPS truck drive up my street, turn around and stop in front of my house.  My heart was beating fast...I ran to the front door and on to  the porch.  He was in the back of the truck looking for something.   He came forward....  Breath is being held, getting excited... 
Oh no...He moved the truck forward to my neighbor and delivered a box the size of a book!!!    :ss-shocked:
I called out and asked what address...He said the neighbor's number and laughed at me.  :yes:
I told him I was waiting for something and was told I had to wait til tomorrow!!!   rofl rofl rofl 
My UPS driver KNEW I had a HP book and did not bring it!!!  :banghead: :banghead: 
Apparently he was getting that "I'm waiting for something" all day! and was ready for it from me.  DRAT!!!
Now it's funny.  LOL
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 12:33:10 PM »
OK....seeya folks....the book has arrived  :clapping:
and I am going to hibernate!!!
 :boogie: :boogie: :kickdancing: :kickdancing: :boogie: :boogie:

Will check in after 759 pages have been read... :ss-shocked: :D
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
    • The Slagles
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 01:29:36 PM »
You've had it 45 minutes.  Finished Yet?  No, we don't want to know the ending.

My Mom was a librarian for over 30 years.  Our house was full of books as far back as I can remember. 

I read every day and finish a couple of books a week.  Even read the cereal boxes at breakfast  :)  Dropped off reading the print version of the newspaper though.  It's easer to read online.

Tolkein was required reading for a class in college.  I've reread the series every few years since then.  I love mysteries and JD Robb is one of my favorites.  I've read a few Nora Roberts too along with Tom Clancy, Robert Parker (Spencer, not the other Parker), J.A. Jance, W.E.B. Griffin, Tony Hillerman, and Janet Evanovich to name a few.

Jim

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 11:05:51 AM »
I was interrupted by real life.  My screen porch/utility room combo (home of my two female cats) had to be emergency cleaned.  I found a flea on one of the cats :ss-shocked: :yuck: :'( The old female has limited kidney function and can't have chemicals but I had no choice. Though I "advantage" the other cats on a regular basis, I chose to put a half dose on the old one. All bedding had to be stripped, washed, carpet vacuumed and sprayed with flea killer.  Even grabbed the internal cat's bedding and other things...spent sunday cleaning, washing, and KILLING instead of reading.  :'(    Have a ZERO tolerance on fleas. Death penalty on sight.

So I am only on page 350.  Slow reader, but would have gotten further if I had time..  Book is getting good. Past the setups (where people are, etc and getting into the meat now.  Had to go to work. BUMMER.  Would have liked to stay home and read. 

TONIGHT....more Harry Potter. 

And here's MY prediction (since I read book 6 a while back)....
Harry WILL survive, with the help of Ginny's love/friendship. The whole series has been about those themes...friends and love... and it makes sense that is part of the key to defeat evil. 
(I DO NOT READ THE END OF THE BOOK FIRST AND DON'T WANT TO KNOW IF I AM RIGHT/WRONG UNTIL I NATURALLY GET TO THE END OF THE BOOK SO IF YOU KNOW THE ENDING, DO NOT POST IT HERE!!! WARNING... IF YOU POST ABOUT THE ENDING, I WILL BAR YOU FROM POSTING AGAIN. :rules:)

-----------
For crime fiction I have read many of the authors you mention.  :D I am a fan of James Patterson (listening to ALONG CAME A SPIDER now and HONEYMOON was a really good surprise thriller), Johnathan Kellerman has a good series with the Alex Delaware books and equally enjoy his wife Faye Kellerman.  And of course for true crime, Ann Rule is tops.

A book I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND (audio or written form) is THE HISTORIAN by Elizabeth Kostova about Dracula.  Not a frightening story but historical drama so well written, you are not sure where the REAL and the fantasy are separated. Not my usual style but found it intriguing. Took the audio with my on my MP3 player to Germany last year on the recommendation of a friend. Excellent entertainment.

And to think, I was put into remedial class in 6th grade because I could not read fast enough. High comprehension, slow reader. Grades were fine, but the teacher felt that I would begin to slip if I did not learn to read faster. Was made to sit for a couple hours each day for WEEKS in front of a projector-like machine that forced you to read one word at a time, sentence at a time, paragraph at a time.... to force you to speed up. (faster = lower comprehension for me)  After a couple months of that I tested exactly the same as when I began!  They let me return to my regular class and my grades still remained fine, but by then I HATED READING....! My folks were so disappointed to have a non-reader in the family (everyone else couldn't stop reading).  Other than school-work that FORCED me to read  :yuck:, I avoided "pleasure reading" until my senior year in high school when a friend gave me a book that none of the girls my age could put down. I carried it for two months and listened to tons of nagging. Finally, dreading it, I began to read it...I WAS HOOKED.  Haven't stopped since! 

Even read the cereal boxes at breakfast 
:D  Yup.. and cleaners in the bathroom if there is no magazine or other material! :D
And love audio books too.  Have tons of cds and cassettes and have an account with audible.com for my mp3 player. Usually listen in the car, makes driving far less stressful.  And feels like someone is in the back seat telling me a story. Look forward to driving to get the next installment.  :)

My boss can not understand how I can have more than one book in progress at a time. (usually 2: an audio book, and one or two paper backs in livingroom/bedroom or at my mothers house). Told her its like reading the book in segements...having a running saturday "serial". Part of the story each time, or mini series on tv. You watch other shows in between the parts and yet you can still remember the ongoing story line...She doesn't understand why you would want to... :yes: 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 01:06:10 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 10:53:21 AM »
 :boogie: :boogie: FINISHED at 2:18 this morning  :boogie: :boogie:
(Yawns as she types!)

No worry of disclosure...I won't give anything away, just my thoughts on the book, if you care to read them.  :)

When I picked up book 7 to read, I actually didn't care about who would live or die.  War is war and some people will die before the issue is settled. It is the tragic nature of war. And certainly people following this series in books or movies would agree it has been building to a war between good and evil. Like everyone, I had my preference but would accept whatever the author chose to do with her characters.  :yes:

Coming into book 7, I most wanted to confirm or correct my opinion of SNAPE. He is the only character that I have been fully invested in. I had a belief about SNAPE since book 1, and it strengthened greatly in book 6. I had no doubt.  Book 7 finally confirmed it!  :boogie:  :kickdancing:  :kickdancing:  :kickdancing: :boogie:   It was a WONDERFUL ADRENALIN RUSH...A really natural HIGH to find out that I was right about SNAPE! I really loved the character development for SNAPE throughout the series. From the sneers and contemptuous looks to the greasy black hair, the film portrayal of SNAPE is dead on accurate!   (My boss, who has only seen the 5 movies, never read the books, has the OPPOSITE opinion about SNAPE! Boy will she be surprised!  :D )

My review is simple: Some parts of the book were slow and maybe a bit tedious.  Others, I found myself holding my breath.  Questions are answered and the book eventually ties so many issues from all the books together.  Some characters are finally fleshed out fully, to provide better understanding of events. Others were left on the peripheral edge without further development. The book is full of things/places/people you will remember from previous books and adds new ideas to tempt and twist and add character dimension.

I lost track of one character somewhere and will need to glance back to see what happened (last time I knew he was alive but did not notice if he made it to the end or not). Having a visual imagination, I could SEE the book playing out in my head as if it were a movie, using the images and voices from the movies to flesh out the book. Though I would have chosen to do a couple things differently, and it was not my favorite book in the series, overall the book was a satisfactory end to the tale...Especially since I got my little thrill  (mentioned above) :clapping:

Thanks J K Rowling for a fun roller-coaster ride!  What's next???

Turtle and Jim, after you have read it, tell us what YOU think.  But don't spill the beans for others that want to read or wait for the movies (like my boss).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 03:40:16 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 02:05:09 PM »
My book is on the way, I have been tracking it.
Its in Michigan and should be here today or Monday.
But I will finish my current book first.
Of course I am the type that can wait until Xmas morning to open presents :)
I will be on vacation August 6th and can really dig into it then.
-turtle

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 03:35:08 PM »
Yes, I am a patient person also, to a point.  Had the book in my possession for a whole hour before I sat down to read it.  And never in the following days did I check the END of the book or read online reviews/comments that would taint it for me.  I like the anticipation almost as much as the actual event so I never snooped as a kid for christmas presents and was quite happy to wait for Christmas morning! :)

One of the ladies I work with has asked me 3 days this week who dies at the end.... She doesn't read the books and NEEDS to know...NOW.  After the 12th request, I made up an answer and delivered it with a straight face, filling in some details like how and by whom.  She was very happy for 30 minutes. Then she got very quiet and said she was depressed to know the answer!   LOL   I have not informed her of my deception...YET.   >:D  But I will. ;)
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 11:37:40 PM »
Well I started my vacation Monday and started the book in the afternoon and finished it Tuesday night.
Mine had a sticky curse on it,
I could not put it down and read until 4 am Monday night until I just could not keep my eyes open anymore.

I flip flopped on Snape after the last book, I just could not believe what happened.
I too was glad to see my first impression was right.

This was the best of the seven books, I really liked it.
I will enjoy re-reading all of them again in a few years.
-turtle

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 07:05:35 AM »
 :boogie: Congrats Turtle!  Wow you read fast!   :boogie:
My favorite in the series was 6 because of shock factor. I cried with that book.
Like you, I am looking forward to re-reading them.

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 05:12:36 AM »
Harry potter movies are always  best for me .