Author Topic: System hangs  (Read 4870 times)

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
System hangs
« on: March 20, 2011, 06:30:57 AM »
After the last crash and repair, I'm experiencing randomly hang ups when accessing to any web page.
No mouse movement, no keyboard, no Task Manager. The screen just freezes up.
If you do nothing, after some minutes suddenly appears the fatidic blue screen, but just for milliseconds and then the system reinitialize by itself.
RAM and HDDs are fine, tested.
Any hint to isolate the problem source?

Windows XP sp3

Thanks
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
Re: System hangs
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 08:00:55 AM »
Tony, is it happening with IE or Firefox, or both? If only one, try the other one, see what happens.
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 10:10:09 AM »
Tony, is it happening with IE or Firefox, or both? If only one, try the other one, see what happens.

Thanks Rick,
Yes, it's exactly what I begun to do today, I normally use Firefox. I will try few days with IE.

Some day happens very often, today three times so far (with FF) and sometimes works fine for a few days...
My fear is that next time it doesn't start again... :(

Let's see if changing browser things go better.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 10:33:11 AM by Tony41 »
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 02:26:22 PM »
Uninstall your add-ons and plugins for Firefox. Once may be corrupted or incompatible.
Restart machine.
Try again with FF.  Update if necessary.  Run with no plugins/add ons for a day or so before putting them back.

If problem is not with FF directly then you may have a bad dll driver file that is causing issue.

You might try setting your startup to load your machine with VERY minimal drivers (do not load with printer, scanner, photo, email, adobe, etc).
A lighter startup might avoid the problem.
If you can run clean without them, then begin adding each back one by one.
Possible one of them is causing issues in background and needs to be reinstalled.

(note...I have intermittent internet again. Last night none at all.  Today sometimes one page loads then dies... ISP repair team scheduled for TUESDAY!   :banghead:)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 02:37:27 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 09:11:50 AM »
I recently downloaded FireFox Beta and installed it basic, with no adds-on.

Since yesterday I haven't had hangs, I'm using IE for testing.

<<<You might try setting your startup to load your machine with VERY minimal drivers (do not load with printer, scanner, photo, email, adobe, etc). >>>

:-\  Sorry, I don't know how to to star up that way...  :unsure: :( In the other hand, I couldn't work without printer, email and so on.

Each test can take days... the problem is very casual and unpredictable.

We will see...

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 08:07:25 AM »
No hangs so far...

:unsure:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 08:45:45 AM »
Tony, even when you turn things off for STARTUP they are still available.
For example, Adobe's Acrobat Reader is always listed in the startup options.  If you turn it off, it will not be hanging around in the background using resources.
But you CAN still use it!  Clicking the right file or program will cause the program to load.
The startup list is full of things that are "convience" but not "needed" all the time.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 08:55:52 AM »
Thanks Sami, I'm aware of this, but you talked about "drivers"...   :unsure:

Quote:
<<<You might try setting your startup to load your machine with VERY minimal drivers>>>

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 09:16:31 AM »
I wasn't meaning a SAFE boot up, just limiting what is running in the background.
Starting up the essentials.
Drivers are used for hardware and software.
Right now, you do not know if the problem is a hardware or software issue.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 02:31:30 PM »
UPDATE:

No more hangs, problem fixed  :TUP:

The cause was the new Graphic Board (ASUS EN8400GS SILENT - installed after a capacitor blown on the original board)
Board replaced with ASUS HD6450 SILENT

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 04:16:14 PM »
 :hapscream: :clapping: :hapscream: :clapping: :hapscream:
Congratulations!!!
-Samantha