Author Topic: Iframe - link to middle of page  (Read 7317 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Iframe - link to middle of page
« on: March 16, 2010, 12:42:03 AM »
This message was sent in PM by daisy2010.  I will answer publically so others can use the same info.

I can't figure out how to ask a question on this site/forum so I'm going straight to you, sorry, it's all so frustrating.

How do I link and display the middle of a page in an iframe, not from the top of the page.

I've set up a page (people.html) that has a list of people's names on it with an iframe. The iframe is linked to an html page with the photos and bios of those people(peoplepage.html). How do I link from a name on the people.html page to the same name/photo somewhere down on the peoplepage.html?

So I want the iframe to load and display from a specific part of the peoplepage.html.

The iframe has a vertical scroll bar.

If I need to make a bookmark or an anchor please explain as (obviously) I'm new at this.

First, let me say WELCOME to the forum!!

To post on the forum, you first had to be approved as a member. I did that this evening. Sorry for any frustration that may have caused. Unfortunately, the forum was being spammed when I had it set to AUTOMATIC membership so I now have it set to manual activation. Aggravating for new folks and I apologize for inconvenience.

You would not have been able to find a way to post before I approved you.  NOW you could easily post a new thread, or add to an existing one.

If you want to link to a specific place on a page, you must set anchors on that peoplepage.html page.
anchor
John Smith, 123 Main street

anchor
Sam Spade , 456 Detective Blvd

Etc.

Then the links that change the IFRAME would point to the anchor needed on the peoplepage.html page.

To instruct you on anchors, I need to know more about the
You did not say what sofware you are using to build your site, or give a website address so we could see for ourselves. 

> Please tell us the name of your site.
> Please tell us what software you use, and version.
Anchors are not treated the same in every situation. Some software requires special rules for anchors.

> Are you using FRAMED web pages? This is different than IFRAMES! (Frames are where the top or side of the page stay STATIC, stuck in place while you scroll the rest of the page? See examples here: http://www.samisite.com/publish/framesorno.htm)
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )