Author Topic: Improve my links  (Read 4601 times)

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
Improve my links
« on: August 13, 2009, 04:41:48 PM »
I want to improve the page at http://www.allmilitaryreunions.org/members.htm

Mainly I want to eliminate the "Web Site" column in the big table, and allow users to click the name of the Member to access their web site. I've done this for one Member already -- USS Rankin Association (down near the bottom of the table).

I think I'd like to eliminate the underlines on these links, but I don't remember how to do it. It would be great if the text for the link changes color when your mouse rolls over it. It would be even greater if it does NOT change color for the relatively few members who don't have web sites.

As a minor refinement, I'd like to know how (if?) you can change the yellow tool tip that shows up when you roll over a link. Right now it shows the URL of the link, which is fine. I might like to do something cooler.

I'd be quite receptive to any other suggestions for improving this page, and/or the similar ones that you get to by clicking the links along its top.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Improve my links
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 05:43:48 PM »
Your links will be easy to change.

1) CREATE YOUR LINKS
Create a new link using the site name as your link text.  Use the URL style link.  
Type in the url then add:       " title="your description here.    to the link.
You must end your URL with a " before you add your title code.
But DO NOT put a " at the end of the title!  CSB will do it for you.
This is how it looks in CSB4 or CSB5:

You can also just remove the tooltips.
Recommended:  Check out this page that shows details of the LINK and IMAGE tooltips.
Test the samples (view page in both IE and FIREFOX).  

Note that IE and FF use different rules but combined instructions resolves this issue:
IMAGE TOOLTIP:  ALT TAG AND TITLE TAG
INTERNET EXPLORER uses the ALT tag for a TOOLTIP.  CSB defaults to ALT tag.
FIREFOX uses the TITLE tag for a TOOLTIP, even on photos!  
SO USE THEM BOTH for best effect!  You can use them with or without a link.
Define the name of the image and your photo description.

As for COOL FACTOR, you can use something like OVERLIB (change color, font, background, etc) of the tooltip but I would would think just using the title tag noted above would resolve your issue.  

2) COLOR SETTINGS.
After you have your links in place, deal with the color settings.
You are using CSB 5 so you have TONS of options that other CSB versions offered.
Take a look at this page: http://www.samisite.com/csb5demo/link_colors.htm for screen prints and instructions
You have MANY choices for how to display your links and what settings to use.

(Samples Note: Click the menu along the side of that page and others in that directory. You can see/test the way the menu links look.  Each page in that directory has the same menu, but is using different techniques that CSB5 offers.)
- The NEW TEMPLATES page shows how the FONT color can change on rollover. I like this. Clean simple and no background color is used. CSB4 has rollover but forces user to have background color.
- On the COLORS page, the BACKGROUND color of the link changes.
- On the LINK COLORS page, the BACKGROUND color of the link and the FONT color changes.
- PHOTO WIZARD and PROBLEMS pages show you that CSB will let you turn off your underline on rollover but that will not remove the underline on the links.
On some of the samples, I adjusted the font to change to italics on rollover. You can choose to do that or not.

3) NO UNDERLINE
If you want NO LINKS UNDERLINED on the whole page, then you can use this code at the top of the page:
Code: [Select]
<STYLE>
<!--
A:link, A:visited, A:active
{ text-decoration: none }
A:hover
{ color: #CC0066; text-decoration: none }
U {text-decoration: none}
-->
</STYLE>
That code works well in IE and FIREFOX.  Result of that code can be seen on my test index page here.  I used CSB to change the link colors on rollover like normal and checked the box for no underline on rollover too...

Did not address any other suggestions for improvements on that or other pages.... not enough time....
But  will ask....Have you considered making an interactive map?
Rollover and you get info, or spots linked to other websites? 
I have a sample linked image map implemented in CSB on this page.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 05:55:25 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 09:13:03 PM »
Have definitely considered an interactive map. A major goal is to let people bring up info about our members, just by somehow clicking on or near the members on the map. I'm looking for map software that will allow this. New members are being added all the time, so I can't afford to do much manual work on it.

The software that makes the dots on the existing map is Microsoft Map, which came with old versions of Excel, but can still be used. I make the map, then do a screen capture.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 12:27:54 AM »
Hmmm... Have had Microsoft excel for more than 11 years.  Never heard of Microsoft Map.  Interesting.

These are the two guest maps I have seen most:

This site offers a guest map based on Google maps. Free service
No ads that I know of but running on donation type service. Dunno how long that type site will survive. Maybe years.

Bravenet has a free interactive guest map (visitors place a pushpin on their location and information/message). Each time the map is opened, there is a welcome message with ads to support service.  Been around for a very long time and quite popular.  (Not really a bravenet fan but have occasionally used some of the services...ok if you don't mind the ads). KW's CSBSUPPORT.COM has one of these. And here's another: h**p://routesinternational.com/guestbook.htm  Can't tell if they also generate pop under/over ad or not...some of the bravenet services do.

You can also download scripts to run a map service on your own website.  Danger of this is that if the script becomes insecure, your site could be hacked...  :unsure:

(edit:  I looked it up.  Microsoft map came with Excel 2000.  I had 97 and 2002, 2003.  Never used version 2000!  Nice feature.  Could have used it a few times. :v8slap:)
From MS website:  Microsoft Map, which is a feature of Excel 2000 that creates, displays and enables you to analyze information by geographical region, is not available with Microsoft Excel 2002 and later. In Microsoft Excel 2002 and later, you can display maps created by using Microsoft Map in an earlier version of Excel, but you cannot modify the maps or create new ones.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 12:43:10 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 12:57:12 AM »
I used Microsoft Map quite a bit at a job I had. When it went away, I figured out how to keep it (or some forum somewhere told me how), and I've used it occasionally ever since.

It's kind of non-intuitive, but once you figure it out, it's got some nice features. I mostly use it for converting a list of U.S. or Canadian postal codes into outline maps with dots where the postal codes are. It's pretty useful for visualizing where customers, members, etc. are.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 09:44:23 AM »
It's kind of non-intuitive, but once you figure it out, it's got some nice features. I mostly use it for converting a list of U.S. or Canadian postal codes into outline maps with dots where the postal codes are. It's pretty useful for visualizing where customers, members, etc. are.
THAT is EXACTLY what I had in mind when I said "could have used it a few times". We have many customers (some in Canada) in rural areas where mapping known freight terminals against their location would be very very useful.  

Mappoint is a very heavy mapping program for Excel that just cost too much for how often we would use it. Too bad MS doesn't offer a LITE version with just some of the options....  I did find a free Yahoo maps option works with Office 2003 that might come in handy for what we want....  Thanks for mentioning the program.  Given me some new ideas to pursue.   :)
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 11:38:37 AM »
MS Map lets you do Canada and the U.S., but not on the same map! So there's cutting and pasting, but you CAN make a useful map. Another problem is that its postal code database is pretty old, and there are a lot of ZIP codes that aren't in it.

There IS a need for a $29.95 lightweight map program. I haven't found one yet, though.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 01:42:46 PM »
I found these map options:

- MapinXL  $99   h**p://www.mapinxl.com/page/home 
    Looks VERY interesting.   But only works with office 2007.   :'(

- MapLand   $60 (on sale)  h**p://www.softill.com/   
    Really looks usable, objects are resizeable. Lots of features:  h**p://www.softill.com/new-features.html 
    Must  purchase map sets separately and that adds up.  Course if you only need one set, not too bad.
    $499 with ALL maps available  :ss-shocked:

- Mappoint 2006
    Found 2006 for $145.  h**p://www.compuvisor.com/microsoft-mappoint-2006-with-gps-locator-map-point-gps.html  Expect I will get a copy of this software. Don't need more than what it has.  And is compatible with the software we have now (office 2002 and 2003 on machines currently).  Chatted with online assistant and told it is 100% real, fully registerable with MS and can be used in a corporate environment.

- Yahoo MapMaker 
    free but made in 2005, no updates/support anywhere....
-Samantha