Author Topic: adding external content - forum  (Read 5633 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
adding external content - forum
« on: January 15, 2008, 07:45:46 PM »
Though I am starting this thread, it is actually a series of PM's on the topic that I have made public.
These are good questions and topics like this should be public so others can read, learn, comment, assist.

So I am building a really cool new website...called xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com. I went to the forum thing you use for your website smf. And I am just curious do I upload it to my /home/sitelogin/www/forum? or /home/sitelogin/forum? Wasn't sure Any help you have would be great!

Thanks,
Ryan

(took out the website name since it is not live yet...)
-----------------

SAMRC:
Depends on how your host has your website set up.  My host uses public_html for the website folder.  So the location of my installation is
SMF Directory:   /home/usernameonacct/public_html/forum

The forum can be reached many ways because I have it in a subdirectory that I have made into a SUBDOMAIN.  Also have all addresses on samisite resolving to www. addresses too:

http://samisite.com/forum
http://forum.samisite.com

http://www.samisite.com/forum
http://www.forum.samisite.com

I use cPANEL for my control panel for the website which makes many of the settings easier.  Then SMF has its own admin panel of course.

-----------------

So where do you actually input the page on CSB? I guess I am a little confused...Sorry? I really need to get a forum on my website similar to what you have, I just need help figuring it out. THANKS!
Ryan

-----------------

SAMRC:
Please read this thread. 
It is about Picture upload script (I know it isn't about forums) but the answer I gave about the image gallery is the same for a forum.  http://samisite.com/forum/index.php?topic=372.msg3730#msg3730 
Scripts for galleries, forums, etc are done OUTSIDE of CSB.

You add links to your forum from with in your CSB built pages but you do not build it in or use CSB to upload it to your website.

These kinds of questions are best asked on the forum where others can learn and understand too.  Believe me, they are good questions.

--------------

Ok, well Im still a little confused because I really havent launched the page yet, im in the designing mode. But I get what your saying its like linking a CSB site to a myspace page? kind of... hahaha

Thanks for all your help....

Also how hard is it to incorporate alot of the stuff from coffeecup.com onto CSB pages?

Thanks,
Ryan
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 08:15:52 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: adding external content - forum
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 08:14:22 PM »
As you build a web site your content can be static (like my tutorials, home page, etc) or dynamic like the forum.
They require different skills. And different building materials.

You build static regular website pages with your CSB or other website builder that produces HTML and PHP pages that contain regular content.

But when you want a forum, or special gallery, or blog or guestbook, or other special content like that, you use SCRIPTS that are basically programs that you install on your website.  They create dynamic pages, use databases. Some scripts are paid, some are free. All need to be installed tweaked to fit and then maintained with upgrades, patches, etc.

You choose a layout design for your static pages: a theme, a tone, colors, backgrounds, fonts, etc.
Then when you go to add the EXTRA features of your website, you make them blend.
Ex: my home page is green with purple and I have a dragonfly logo.  So when I added the forum, I made the colors blend, added my dragonfly to the icons and made my own title and header images so the forum fits my website.

The external script pages are made OUTSIDE of CSB.  They appear in a separate subdirectory of your site.  I have no CSB built static web pages inside my forum directory.  All pages inside http://samisite.com/forum are made by the forum script.  My home page made in CSB links to the forum. And several other pages on my website link to the forum.  But they were made separately. With different tools.

But I get what your saying its like linking a CSB site to a myspace page? kind of...  :)
On the right track.  Sorta. The SCRIPT makes some of your pages and CSB makes the rest.  But BOTH would be on your hosted website.  BOTH would use your space, your bandwidth, your resources. You maintain control of the content and whether or not you have ads, how people can post, etc. If you point to myspace, you are leaving your web site and losing some of that control.

Also how hard is it to incorporate alot of the stuff from coffeecup.com onto CSB pages?
Depends on what coffeecup software you are using...coffeecup offers a TONS of stuff.  Animations are a breeze.
If you mean a FLASH piece made with coffeecup, it is easy.  You make the flash. Get the code.  Put the code and flash into Insert HTML box in CSB and publish. Bingo.  See samples and instructions here.  (Method 1 or 2 are recommended). Do not use the BUILT IN FLASH feature in CSB 5. 

But cross that bridge when you get there. You are diving into the shallow end of the pool from the high dive board.  Learn to swim first...you will get there.  I promise. :)

I really havent launched the page yet, im in the designing mode.
Don't wait....Publish. Publish soon, Publish often as KW (guru of CSB) often said.
You can always add, tweak adjust.... Better to find you have a problem BEFORE you get too far along, get it resolved before it becomes a nightmare!
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 11:55:33 AM »
OK SAM!!!...You talked me into it...I am going to launch...one problem! I would like to keep my overhead down for now...SO...Whats a good/great hosting company...thats not $17.95/month I use Hostway for all my other websites but this one is going to have a little less of a budget.

Thanks SAM!

Ryan

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 12:09:22 PM »
Whats your thoughts on sites like, GoDaddy? or h**p://www.startlogic.com/startlogic/index.bml
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 01:13:46 PM by Samrc »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 01:12:07 PM »
I use and recommend totalchoicehosting.com as a very reliable host.  Cost is $4/mo (or $44/year if you pay for a year in advance so less than $4/mo!) for the starter plan which comes with 20GB transfer, 700MB space, LINUX server with lots of free options for installs like the SMF forum you want.  They have a terrific forum and great up time.  I use other hosts.  But overall have been most satisfied with TCH for so many reasons.  Lots of CSB users have found their way to TCH and stayed.  Even some that had a difficult time for a while, decided to stay with them.  :)

GoDaddy has a fierce following.  Either love or hate it.  If you go with godaddy, make sure you are on a LINUX plan not windows as Linux plans have more options.  The control panel (used it last night) is confusing and convoluted. Hard to find things.  TCH uses cPanel for the admin and it is FAR EASIER to use. 

I know nothing about startlogic.com so can not discuss them other than to say they seem to offer large spaces and lots of bandwidth.  Personally none of the accounts I work on would benefit from that.

All hosts will have problems.  All hosts will have glitches.  Computers at hosts wear out. 
But how often is the site down, or unavailable? 
How good are the techs that keep the server fields running? 
Does your host explain or keep you informed? 
Does the host stand behind their rules, blocking and dumping sites that can damage the servers or put YOUR site in jeopardy?
Can you Instant Message for assistance?
These are things to consider. 

REMEMBER THAT THE CONTENT ON YOUR SITE IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.  YOU MUST KEEP IT UPDATED. SCRIPTS LIKE FORUMS, FORMS, CMS, etc can be compromised and as the owner of the site YOU must keep backups and YOU must keep the content current so your site is not compromised. Any host has the right to YANK your site DOWN to protect its resources.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 01:28:12 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 02:00:50 PM »
700MB of disk space doesn't sound like a lot? Is that a big concern?

Sam once again thank you!.....

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 05:44:48 PM »
700MB.... not quite a gig.  Gee that isn't much these days!    >:D rofl >:D

Please visit h**p://www.Lambertusa.com
It is a commercial site that I moved to TCH thinking we would need to start with the starter and bump up as I build. I have over 200 downloadable PDF docs on that site, more than 200 pages on the site in several subdirectories. We have several forms, lots of text and some images, animations, some flash, some slideshows.  Even have a couple games, private area for our sales reps, and testing areas that are out of view of public.
And all of that is only 363.58 MB!  Still on the starter level years later! But our bandwidth is moving up so we may need to bump to $5/mo soon.  :D 

With all the subdirectories, tutorials, forum with database, emails, forms, and STUFF, even this Samisite.com has less than 400MB stored online!  HTML and PHP pages are lightweight. Have to be to load in browsers well.  I run emails through my samisite.com domain, but clear them often and do not keep them stored online.

As I said the sites I build would not benefit from extra gobs of space. 

Unlike your home computer, you don't have a lot of extra crud stored on your webspace.  You upload finished web pages.  And when you no longer need something, you take it off.  Holiday graphics up for the month, then down.  At home you might have a 5MB photo.  But you would never place that photo on your site.  You must OPTIMIZE and prepare it for the web.  Most photos will be 20-100KB each. Otherwise people can not load your website into the browser!  And if someone is on dial-up, forget it!

But it depends on YOUR content. 
Movies, MP3 and other media files are hogs.  And they take your bandwidth.  Worst of all...they are linked from off site to feed other websites without your permission if you are not vigilent.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 06:05:57 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 09:42:09 AM »
Ya the site im building is going to be a "space hog" It is going to be tons of pictures, tons of video, and possibly some live streaming stuff later on.

Hmmmm...I think Im going to need a ton! ???  ???

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 10:02:12 AM »
Live streaming takes a TON of bandwidth. So choose your host with THAT in mind.

Each of us has specific needs for websites.  And hosts are not the same.  They do not offer the same packages. they do not offer the same service. 

TCH has reasonable packages with good size accounts and decent bandwidth allotments, and terrific service, uptime and excellent communications online, forum and other ways, but NO PHONE tech support. They do not promise more than they can deliver. Two things that are important to me:  1) TCH really cracks down on people that offer inappropriate content (spammers, warez software, etc) and break terms of service agreement and 2) they don't overload servers with too many accounts. That fits MY needs because it helps to protect my accounts!

Some folks will not host with them without PHONE tech support.
Some need more bandwidth than the standard packages offer but don't need more space... (You can do a lot with 700MB, and the second level is still only $5/mo with 1200 MB of space and 40GB of bandwidth at TCH.)

Choosing a host is a PERSONAL CHOICE based on YOUR SITE'S requirements. 
Read comments that current and former users about support, uptime and the control interface offered by the host. They can differ greatly, as do the optional installation choices.  They can make your life easier!
Wherever you host, see if you can get in with a basic plan and move up as you grow so you do not have to pay for more than you need.  Money is on the plate but should not be the MOST important reason to choose a host!!!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 10:07:43 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 10:33:38 AM »
New TCH Info:
Effective February 12th, 2008 all new accounts will include increased disk space and additional bandwidth. Some examples of the new plans are:
    * Our new Starter Plan will feature 40GB of Bandwidth and 1400MB of space!
    * Our new Simple Reseller Plan will feature 75GB of Bandwidth and 3000MB of space
    * Our dedicated clients, we will be increasing your bandwidth resources to 2000GB
We will be phasing these increases into effect over the next couple of weeks to our entire current client base.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 10:40:04 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha