Author Topic: Who Moved My Cheese  (Read 7982 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Who Moved My Cheese
« on: July 18, 2012, 11:54:20 AM »
Years ago I was given a little book to read "Who Moved My Cheese"
It changed my life.  I was in a job that did not fit me well.
Read the book and decided to find a job that did fit better.

The book is a parable. A fictional story about two humans that live in a maze like mice.
The Humans are named HEM and HAW. 
When the food station did not provide the same taste, the same amount as it used to, HAW decides to head out into the maze to find better.  He finds some things, comes back to tell the other human HEM. HEM will not budge. He is sure the food station will get better even when it stops producing food.  He is too scared to move. To look for something else.  HAW goes back into the maze and searches. He leaves notes to his friend along the way as he learns new things:

Change Happens
         They Keep Moving The Cheese
Anticipate Change
         Get Ready For The Cheese To Move
Monitor Change
         Smell The Cheese Often So You Know When It Is Getting Old
Adapt To Change Quickly
         The Quicker You Let Go Of Old Cheese, The Sooner You Can Enjoy New Cheese
Change
         Move With The Cheese
Enjoy Change!
         Savor The Adventure And Enjoy The Taste Of New Cheese!
Be Ready To Change Quickly And Enjoy It Again
         They Keep Moving The Cheese.

In the end, HAW does just fine. He has learned change will happen and you must adapt.
He hopes that his friend learns too.

You can read the synopsis of the story here:
h**p://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_moved_my_cheese
Or buy the book online at amazon.com and other book retailers.

I left my job of 17 years, found a better "food station".  :TUP:
I learned to keep my sneakers on and not be afraid of change.
Have been going into the maze now and then and may have found another great food station.  :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 08:47:21 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
Re: Who Moved My Cheese
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 05:36:51 PM »
Hi Sami,

I never thought I'd ever read a review of a business related book here and enjoyed your great review. I know the book but only through the press.

Thanks.

PS Which version did you read?
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 09:32:29 PM »
I read the original version in May 2000 Ed.
Tiny white hardback book.  Front half is parable. 
Second half is the business discussion and application.

I am an avid reader. Never know what is next.   :D
Shall I give my opinions of other business related books I have read?  LOL
Read a good one about NOT opening a computer related business.  Very enlightening.

I have come back to this book a few times since that first revelation.
The funny thing:  It was given to me by my BOSS at the time. His boss had given it to him, he was passing it on.

He gave it to me to help me to get a better sense of the corporate view. We must do what is right for the company and the employees must adapt and move with the company. I had transferred in from a different subsidiary the year before. And liked my job at first, very much. It changed A LOT and I grew restless. Even started to look within the company for another position. Asked my boss for certain things to make the job better but budget was not possible....just wait, its coming!  My boss and I got along famously. Very dear man and I respected him highly. The silly little ridiculous book had the OPPOSITE effect on me than what he was expecting.  He told me flat out that he REGRETTED giving it to me! The book actually unlocked the last tether to the company after 17 years working there. It was like I was given the permission I needed to let go.  Go out into the maze to find something better! I quit 2 days after reading the book.  :hapscream:

Was reemployed within the week at a job that got me started with the WEB.  :TUP: 
So I guess you can blame that book for samisite.com and many other sites.   LOL   :clapping:

It gets bad reviews from some.  Pointless, friend of business, blah blah blah, just another pro-business, change is inevitable, etc.  But for ME, it was a key, given at the right time. I re-read it in May of this year on my KINDLE.   :TUP: 
Silly. And makes me SMILE. Good memories and good message to remember. 
I like to settle in some where, make a nest. This book reminds me to keep my sneakers nearby.

The most relevant quote for me TODAY is:
The Quicker You Let Go Of Old Cheese, The Sooner You Can Enjoy New Cheese
It applies to a certain aspect of my life today and I have it posted on the inside of my front door.

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 12:08:04 PM »
There are several versions on Amazon in book and Kindle format -ranging from Johnson to Ormon. What is the ISBN?

Yes, please do review the others.

I'm glad your move was quick as I was worried but it seems to have turned out well. It really is like "The Quicker You Let Go Of Old Cheese, The Sooner You Can Enjoy New Cheese"

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 06:09:50 PM »
I read the original. Have hardback in storage.
Spencer Johnson author.

Kindle version http://www.amazon.com/Who-Moved-My-Cheese-ebook/dp/B004CR6AM4/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&qid=1342722350&sr=1-1

I will have to wait till my bookcases are unpacked from storage for some of the books.  That may be quite some time.

I read this originally in 2000. The job I got then lasted 10 years, the last year/year and half of which I saw my "food station" changing drastically.  Knew change was in the air.  And things were not so easy.  But the book was right..."Smell the cheese often so you know when it is getting old".  I went into the maze but this time there were others chasing too, and less stations... Different economy.  Different results.

Today that other phrase (The Quicker You Let Go Of Old Cheese, The Sooner You Can Enjoy New Cheese) is relevant in that I want to clear the house and move.  Can't enjoy my future till I untether the past.  I want to play in my craft room and must wait to get to the other side.  Just limited time and other obligations get in the way.   :)
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 07:09:16 PM »
Yes, I know what you mean and the craft is waiting to be enjoyed. I remember your pictures on Samisite being creative with crafts.

Thanks for the URL. I noticed this title: I Moved Your Cheese, by Deepak Malhotra : http://www.amazon.com/Moved-Your-Cheese-Business-ebook/dp/B005ESWA60/ref=pd_sim_kstore_3?ie=UTF8&m=AJZ1BLME50KG1

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 07:46:07 PM »
The synopsis says:
Who Moved My Cheese? ultimately advises us to unquestioningly accept our circumstances without exploring any possible alternatives
This is what I mean. So many people review the book with this type opinion.  I see the book differently.  It allowed me to see I HAD alternatives to be found. Just go and look for them and you WILL find something that fits! It gave me permission to look and not stay and accept my situation.  That is why Tony G (my boss) was so surprised that I had the reaction I did.   :D

Deepak Malhotra tells an inspiring story about a new generation of mice who begin to challenge assumptions and ask important questions. Rather than just accepting their situation and dutifully chasing the cheese
The new version might be interesting to read. I believe in asking questions and challenging assumptions and status quo (gets me in trouble sometimes  ;) ) Thanks for giving me the link.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 07:53:30 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 03:42:29 PM »
Ordered an audio CD of Who Moved My Cheese today (same Johnson version as your book but in audio). It will reach me in two weeks. Can't wait to listen.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 08:08:09 PM »
Short little book of little consequence.  I would expect you to take away the corporate message like most people do.  Please do tell me what you think!  :D

So far, I am the only person I know that it has pesonally empowered.

Concerning CD:  I would have ordered the "AUDIBLE" version of the book instead for 2 reasons:
1) content delivered immediately, put on player that accepts/plays audible files
2) The AUDIBLE program also allows you to burn CD's so you get BOTH formats for one purchase.
Can play CD in car, audible any other time.  :)  Actually I play my audible files in the car too using FM transmitter to hear the books on the car speakers.  LOVE MY AUDIBLE account!

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 07:23:36 AM »
Audible does not have it. It's the first place I checked as I'm also an Audible user and love it too.

It might be that the title is not available in my region as it did not show up in the search I did.  :-\
So now I have to wait for CD to arrive.  :'(

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 11:20:47 AM »
Amazon bought audible.
Amazon has it listed as audible here: http://www.amazon.com/Who-Moved-My-Cheese-Amazing/dp/0399144463/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342883266&sr=8-1&keywords=who+moved+my+cheese

And my area lists 2 versions on audible, a 10th year anniversary and original.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 04:06:13 PM »
Thanks for the links. Much appreciated. It seems as if I could have bought it from Amazon. At least it looks like so, but I usually find out at the end of cart checking-out which is frustrating. I have tons of stuff (not only books, e.g. a car seat cooler) in my wishlist that I was not able to buy. Amazon.com don't let USA outsiders know they can't buy things up front.

I've heard of h**p://www.myus.com/ which ships things internationally, but I'm not sure if it works.

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 07:21:45 PM »
Ed, occasionally when buying on Amazon, I have seen a notice right at the start of the purchase, that "this item is not available for delivery to your region." I think this is because of agreements with the original supplier/license holder, who may have arrangements with a distributor in that area.

Probably it is necessary to log on to your account before searching for a product, so that they know your location right at the beginning.

Rick
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 12:13:02 PM »
We have a "global" economy in so many ways now.

I am in Florida, USA.  My websites are hosted in several different states.
I buy my photo/web design program from England. Their parent company is in Germany.
The disk and book ship to me via Royal Post from UK with no thought about it.

Frustrating when you know something exists and you can't get it.
Example digital media that is available in one country but not another.  If it exists, make it available!
I watch TV shows from other countries, when possible. But some websites block content based on region and it is frustrating.
I know profit and/or control is the key. Just wish the consumer was kept in the equation.
 :banghead: :banghead:

Sorry Ed.  When I looked it up, I was sure your Amazon would also offer it.  I forget sometimes that Amazon USA, Amazon UK, Amazon... are separate entities though they carry the same name.  Same with Audible and others.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 08:59:12 AM »
Global indeed, but transactions have to be controlled to properly account for foreign exchange transactions which is a good thing. I'm hoping the EU survives its crisis because it certainly made things easier for trade, travel, etc.

Rick, I've seen the message but only seldom, and on the rare occasion, for printed books. I'll remember to log in first. Thanks for the tip.

Not to worry though, iPod works fine with non-Audible media and I run an app called iBookmark that keeps my place. Also use Ambling app which is similar to and cheaper than Audible and I'm trying out Audiobooks app too.

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 05:48:55 PM »
My local library has an arrangement with a lending service called Overdrive Media. e-books and audio books are available to "borrow" for free. I have used it extensively for both e-books and audio books. They do not have the range of books which Amazon/Audible have, but the range is OK, and the price is right!

I suggest you check if your library has this kind of service. You can also search the Overdrive website for your library: h**p://www.overdrive.com/

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 10:37:39 PM »
Yes I use that service too.   :TUP:
But when I leave Orlando for good I lose it.  :(
The library in the area where I want to go to is not connected into the service.

Audible account is expensive unless I get books on special sales. Then they are good price. I bought 8 books a while back and am working my way through them.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 10:11:06 AM »
Rick, thanks for the URL. I will check.

BTW, I tried the Audiobooks app, but am not impressed.

On a different topic, I was referred to a site today and it offers free site hosting: h**p://www.weebly.com . Never heard of them before, but the sites there look good. They also have e-commerce.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 08:46:29 PM »
Good to know Ed.  The freebie I used to use is gone.

I said I get books from Audible when on sale.  Well.  Today I was sent a "christmas in july" FREE book from audible.  Any one of five they are offering. 
Thank you for being a member! Choose your gift below and download it free until August 1st.

Have any of you read these?  I am not sure which I should choose.
Fantasy:      Dominion
Romance:       Mistletoe and Margaritas
Mystery/Thriller:      In Session   (a Dr Morgan book)
non-fiction:       The Autobiography of Black Hawk
sci-fi:       The Sagan Diary

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 11:15:11 AM »
I haven't read the Sagan diary but saw the TV series years ago which was excellent. All about the planets, stars etc. and very well produced. Some say it borders on the edge of fiction, but being an astronomy fan since childhood, the series was very enjoyable. I haven't read the other titles.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 11:12:46 PM »
Thanks. I had not heard of it but am in the mood for a sci-fi book.
Will listen to the sample and make my decision later this weekend.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 06:01:58 AM »
I found this video of e-book management quite interesting: h**p://calibre-ebook.com/

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 06:52:33 AM »
I have been using Calibre for a couple of years now. It is very capable software for managing the myriad different e-book formats.

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 03:46:51 PM »
Thanks Rick. It's good to know. Might get it too.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2012, 08:23:04 AM »
interesting....worth a look!  :yes:
-Samantha