Author Topic: Hard drive failure  (Read 4777 times)

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
Hard drive failure
« on: December 31, 2008, 02:23:10 PM »
Oh - I need help.  I manage a website for our local youth baseball/softball association.  The website was turned over to me a couple years ago.  I lost my hard drive on my PC a few weeks ago - and lost EVERYTHING.  I did not have a backup of any files..shame on me.  I plan to buy an external hard drive this weekend - and ensure I backup everything often!  I guess we learn from our mistakes, huh?

I think I will be able to get the serial number so that I can reload the software.  The last person who managed ths site spoke to GlobalScape and they were able to find our information, I'm just waiting on an email from them with the activation code.

I read on the old forum that a couple others had this problem.  My problem is going to be getting the website back onto my PC so that I can continue modifications to it.  Help!  I thought I saw on one post that I will need an FTP program to do this?  Is this the only way?  If so, that is fine, just looking for suggestions on what I should use.  Do I need to contact my hosting site?  What all will I need to FTP to my PC?

Thanks so much!  I'm freaking out!
Barb

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
Re: Hard drive failure
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 02:26:31 PM »
Sorry - I see that you have a post at the beginning for someone with a similar problem. I'll read it...let me know if I can follow those directions.  I'll need to get everything from the site.  Thanks in advance!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 05:14:19 PM »
I am so sorry that you have had such a bad time.
No blaming.  Consider yourself hugged.  (((((HUG))))))

Yes.  The thread that we have going for Tony41 is accurate for YOU too.
Hate to tell you that you have a ton of work ahead of you.

I wish you a better new year!

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions....
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 08:07:24 PM »
I posted over the New Years holidays that my hard drive had crashed. I now have finally gotten the software reloaded on my new PC.  Next step....ftp all of the files down.

What ftp program should I use?  Is there any freeware out there that will work to do this?  I think I have all of the host information..but concerned I may not understand what all is needed.

Also, what all files will I need?

Thanks so much in advance for your help.  I've read through the other posts but I am confused.

Barb

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 08:41:18 PM »
Did you copy your tlx design file to a USB stick or cd, or any other removable media?
Did you have the box checked in CSB to create a backup copy on your web site?  (useful to do once a month or so)

If neither of those options were done, you will need to start from scratch to place your websites into CSB again.

STRONGLY RECOMMEND you immediately go to your site with FTP software and download all contents of the website to your computer, burn a disk or copy onto a usb stick.  This is your only reference for what you have NOW, all the images, text, links, etc.  As you rebuild, you will be overwriting existing pages and you need to have a copy of the way it is NOW before you begin. 

What ftp program should I use?  Is there any freeware out there that will work to do this?  I think I have all of the host information..but concerned I may not understand what all is needed.
There are several paid and FREE versions that would work.  Give COREFTP a try. Free and will do everything YOU need.  Take a look at this page for DETAILED info on FTP, including screen prints of CoreFTP for reference.   
DOWNLOAD A COPY OF ALL YOUR FILES/FOLDERS to be safe.  You may need them as you go forward.  And once you delete them, they are GONE so this is for your own reference and protection!

Since you installed CSB on your computer, did you unlock the program with the serial number?
Do you have it stored somewhere?  If not, GlobalSCAPE will help you find it.  If not, you will get locked out in 30 days!

You can not import your pages into CSB.
Notes for rebuild:

The TransferTlx.txt file should be your guide for rebuilding your site. 
Print it out and use it for your checklist for web pages!
Every time you publish your site with CSB, a new copy of that file is put on your site.
So it shows all the things put onto the site by CSB.
Every time you publish, CSB checks this list, compares details and says, this page has changed so only that page uploads.  If that file is missing or does not match the tlx file you are working on, the ENTIRE CSB tlx file will publish and you get a warning.

Open your website in Internet Explorer and start to copy and paste text and images from your web pages into your tlx design file for fastest rebuilding.  Or redesign as you go along, rebuilding pages.  Make sure you keep the names of your web pages the SAME as you have them now so all your links will be the same.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 08:48:21 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 08:09:08 AM »
Ok - I've posted a couple times...just some background....I am a Project Manager always worked in the IT area in some capacity (mostly AS/400 and mainframe when I was a programmer), but I do not have much web programming background.

As I stated in December, my hard drive went bad on our PC and I lost everything.  I had cutesitebuilder on the PC and I maintained a recreational youth baseball/softball website.  I did not create the site, although I made some changes to it so I have a little knowledge but not a lot.

After reading some posts, I realized I need to get the program loaded back on and re-obtain the key code from globalscapes, which I have done successfully.

I then realized I needed to somehow FTP to the site to download files.  I was able to do that last night although I have NO idea what I needed so I downloaded EVERYTHING.  I've read a few posts about the TLX file.  I did not find any files with that extension one however is called TLXsomething - sorry I am at work and do not have the details here.  I opened it in notepad and it had lots of references to files.  I opened several of the other files I was seeing and they were images of our website.  Now....what do I do?  I saw that I would need to cut/paste but I don't even know what to cut and where to paste to.

If someone can get me started, i think I'll figure it out....I just do not know where to even start.

Thank you so much for your help. We are in need of getting the site up for registrations - like NOW.  I'm freaking out!

Barb

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 12:27:04 PM »
I merged your three different topics into one cohesive thread since it is all the same situation.
I am glad you have the CSB program up and running and that you have unlocked it with the serial number.

The good news is that your site is currently operational.
It is a good thing that you have downloaded EVERYTHING from your website.
Make sure you save a copy of it on CD or thumbnail drive (usb stick), etc.
Your copy will help you in the long run and be your safety net in case something at your host goes wrong (yes, their web servers can go down just like your own computer did).

The bad news is bad. Very bad.

CSB actually uses a proprietary format to compress and store your web data.  Those files can be named anything you wanted to name it, and the file extension is .tlx.   Only CSB can open and edit a tlx design file. CSB is an HTML generator. You do not actually write the HTML code for your webpages, CSB does it for you during the publishing process. When you ask CSB to PUBLISH, the file is converted into HTML pages, your host is contacted and the changes are verified against a file called TlxTransfer.txt.  CSB then uploads only the web pages that you have added/changed.

The key to this whole operation is the tlx design file. 
I know you lost your computer when it crashed.
- Did you copy your tlx design file to a USB stick or cd, or any other removable media?
- Did you have the box checked in CSB to create a backup copy on your web site?  (useful to do once a month or so) Look through your website files that you downloaded.  Do you see one that ends in .CAB? 

If neither of those options were done, you will need to START FROM SCRATCH, rebuild the pages from ground up, to place your websites into CSB again!   As I mentioned in my last response to you, your website pages can not be imported into a new tlx design file. 

We are in need of getting the site up for registrations - like NOW.  I'm freaking out!
Major changes, major additions will have to wait until you get your site rebuilt, but there may be a fairly quick remedy if you just need to add a page or two immediately.

Tell us the name of your site.
How many pages do you have (approx)
What EXACTLY do you need to get on your site NOW.

Depending on your immediate need, you MAY be able to just remake your HOME page and one or two pages in CSB immediately, publish those, then go back and copy/paste the rest of the text and images into your new tlx design file, rebuilding the other pages on your site.

Notes for rebuild:
The TransferTlx.txt file should be your guide for rebuilding your site. 
Print it out and use it for your checklist for web pages!
Open your website in Internet Explorer and start to copy and paste text and images from your web pages into your tlx design file for fastest rebuilding.  Or redesign as you go along, rebuilding pages.  Make sure you keep the names of your web pages the SAME as you have them now so all your links will be the same.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 12:58:08 PM »
Site is h**p://www.mjbsa.com

Really all I need now is to note when registrations are and attach a copy of the registration form.

You do not realize how much I appreciate this help!!!!  I am lost right now.

(unlinked your website address)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 03:02:59 PM by Samrc »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 02:59:26 PM »
Ok those two things can be a fast patch.
Rebuilding will be a long tedious effort but what you need NOW is possible without delay.  We can work together to make that happen.

Is the form in PDF format so it can be downloaded and printed by anyone?
What do you want your notice to say. Specifically.
I can walk you through the html edits to your home page (2 files must be edited). 
Then you will upload your pdf form file to the website with the new copies of the home page files.

If you prefer to have someone else do that change for you, then I can offer to help you with that.
If you would like, I will gladly go in and grab/modify and upload your home page.
I would need your user name/password/website information for your hosting account.
You can use the form on my website:  samisite.com/contact.htm
IT IS A SECURITY RISK to allow someone access to your website, and you can choose not to do it with no hard feelings. But I will tell you I have been a part of this community since fall of 2000 (as far back as Trellix 2.1) and I will not do anything to your account now or in the future. I will not risk my reputation on the forum, with GlobalSCAPE or anywhere else.  I don't mess with people like that!  I would use your settings only to help temporarily then delete them from my machine. I do not maintain that information or ever revisit the site.   I have done this for a couple hundred folks over the years.  After editing your website, I recommend you change your PASSWORD. This will prevent me or anyone else from entering your site.

Then once the crisis is over, we can deal with the rest.

By the way....you said:
I did not create the site, although I made some changes to it
If you did not originally create it, have you considered that the person that DID create it might have an older copy of the design file?  If so, you could take that file and bring it forward. Might be faster than doing it from scratch. Anything I turn over to someone else I keep copies of, JUST IN CASE.  They may have done the same thing.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 09:08:47 AM »
UPDATE:  A few PM's later, barb is back up and running.  I did not have to adjust anything for her temporarily.
After answering some questions and checking some things, turns out there was an old version of the website on cd that could be modified and brought forward.   :boogie: 
And the full copy that she made of her website onto her own computer is giving her the images that she needs to reinsert.

-Samantha