Author Topic: Can you tell me how this site was built?  (Read 6014 times)

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
Can you tell me how this site was built?
« on: March 10, 2007, 06:09:31 PM »
http://www.raycarterkia.com/en_US/   ???

Its my hubbys site and I am reviewing it for ideas and suggestions. I don't see any site builder reference in the headers so I am wondering how it was built. There have been several changes in who built the site from it's inception so I am not sure of the source to contact to find out directly.

Thanks for any help.
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Can you tell me how this site was built?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 06:52:08 PM »
Looks like any HTML editor, including NOTEPAD, could have been the authoring tool.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 08:28:52 PM »
Hi and thanks Sam, That is what I was thinking too ... I am finding a lot of things that don't look that professional about it.  :yuck: It's been a while since I looked at it and it used to be so much better ... guess I will be making a lot of notes lol  :rules:

:thankyousign:

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 05:51:53 AM »
It looks like it was made by Cobalt. They create web sites for automotive dealers and it looks like they have their own editor or code generator.
See: http://www.cobalt.com/auto-dealer-services/websites/features
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 01:06:39 PM »
The HEADER is defined with a cobalt header:  (professional frame)
<href="h**p://assets.cobaltnitra.com/assets/design/designs/Kia_Endorsed2/red/design.css">

The page body is NOT built the same way, by the same person that designed the header.  It was not done by a professional of the same caliber.

Could be that you sign in at cobalt, get a prebuilt frame then just add your content, like an online site builder situation.

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 03:11:31 AM »
hmmm thanks you two ...  :yes: Since the inception of the site years ago there have been many changes with who is even in charge of this at his company and now no one seems to know the answers - Your input helps me to ask the right questions at least and hopefully figure out how to get a more professional look happening.  :v8slap:

- So, then I want to be sure I understand - who ever currently updates it is likely using a cobalt template but then probably even just notepad or another HTML editor to add the content besides the header. Is that the assessment?

I asked my hub who makes his site and his answer is that the host updates it based on information they request. There are a lot of elements going on with them having to also fetch from the manufacturer. -- I bet he's paying way too much for that especially after seeing the quality of what is on there! lol I wish I had time to do it for him but I am barely finding time to just critique it. I am guessing he changed hosts after it was originally set up - he seriously doesn't remember - has other things to keep up with I guess.  ;)

Thanks again any input is most needed and welcomed!

Maybe I can show him the "unprofessional" comment to help convince him to make the needed changes.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 09:06:08 AM »
At first, I did not see the header so thought it could have been built/edited by any editor.  Etienne located the COBALT information and provided and excellent link to read up on the features of using that website hosting package.  You should take a look at the brochure on their page for samples of what car sites COULD look like.

I found that the HEADER and FOOTER only (the top and bottom frames) are provided by cobalt.  It is "high tech",  highly integrated with other sites feeding that site with content that fits. Though generally generic in appearance, it does serve a specific purpose and is probably a very good idea for that type of site!

HOWEVER, the PAGE BODY of the site is not built with the same level of professionalism.  The header is very business-like, square and crisp. Standard business look. Functional and professional.  Forgive me, but the page body looks like a first time website. The fonts do not match or blend with the header in size, color or font style. COMIC SANS is not a standard business font. Animated graphics choosen at random... The page body is NOT the same caliber as the header and footer.

Though I could not find it on their site, I expect that site is built ONLINE through an online interface at cobalt. Unlikely, but I suppose it is still possible, is the use of code provided by cobalt that pulls content from cobalt's space into your husband's site, built in an html editor. In this case, any editor would be able to edit page as long as the cobalt code is left undisturbed.

You can share my comments with your husband.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 07:57:29 PM »
Aha - Thanks Sam, When asked directly - the answer came forth that it is a cobalt template and that there are areas where they can enter their own information. I am thinking his Internet Sales Person is playing web master with what is going in those areas.

Just for future info - The Car Manufacture co-sponsors ( pretty much pays for) this site and only gives them a small number of templates and now he is thinking of contacting Cobalt to find out how much it will cost to not use the co-sponsorship and still have the web site that functions like this but with more options. However when I heard all the steps it takes to get a service to come out and take pictures of the used car inventory and then they submit the information to the site -- this is still a point of confusion for me -- I still think there might be a better less expensive way to do this type of site. Although what Cobalt offers is a good package of pre formatted templates to handle some aspects related to the business it would be worth looking into. I know it is pretty expensive as is when I asked what it was costing I pretty much just looked :ss-shocked:  LOL

Well as I put my own site aside for this, it is a hard choice - but it's just so bad I feel I have to! lol

Thanks again - I will keep posting here as this sort of thing may be helpful for future reference.  I can't wait to get in there and take a look.

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 06:08:20 AM »
These systems usually work well as far as standardizing and channeling changes to the site, however, they can be a bit impersonal and also have inefficient coding as Sam has pointed out. The corporate approach works well when it addresses the customer well, but most customers like to see the individual touch and am sure you would do a better job at that. Usually, the corporate decision makers do not want branches to do their own thing, but maybe you can convince them if you try to stick to main theme.

Another thought, if somebody is updating all the group's websites photos via a template system, then if you built the site and maintained it, the person taking the photos used vehicles could email you the photos, prices, models, etc. instead of emailing the central point, and you could create a site with the added personal touch that the cobalt system doesn't have. The cost is not proportional to the number of sites the group has as there will be a portion that is needed irrespective of the number of sites. The Kia international image is also at stake, so you would be limited to their corporate look.

Another thought, check the frequency of changes/updates. There could be too many to handle for your available time and reward. On the other hand if there are few, e.g. only new vehicles, it could be a bargain.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 08:25:46 AM »
Good points, Thanks! Unfortunately, I already know I don't have time. If it comes down to it, I will try to help find a decent host and web master for them especially if it saves them money and time. They have the rights to use any manufacturer logos and photos etc but would need to offer the "Build a Car" feature offered on the Manufacturer's site in an Iframe I guess.

I can't seem to get the man's time to sit down and discuss this with me! lol But he can get into the cobalt site with a password so I hope to see that sometime this weekend. At least then I will know if and how they can add better looking materials with what they are given to work with. Any improvements would be better than none and the sooner the better! I wouldn't mind spending a few hours on it in the interim. I guess web related companies think that businesses like dealers have a lot of money to spend because to me the prices seem ridiculous. (Little do they know any day they break even is a good day.) My hub knows next to nothing about web building or even how it all works. Generally we each do our own thing business wise but I just feel like I should help however I can in this case. While I web master my own site still, I will be looking for help there soon due to other obligations and my web mastering for other's is pretty much over at least for now.

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 11:02:09 AM »
A ??? At this link h**p://www.raycarterkia.com/en_US/CombinedVehicleSearch_1.chtml by clicking on KIA models at the top of the page -- is this information coming up in an iframe?

I got into the site before it had a server problem and stopped functioning so I am still exploring by investigating the site itself after learning a little from what I did get to see.

First of all Cobalt says a lot of things about the site is set by the manufacturer however - I can't believe they wouldn't at least be able to set it up where things center on a browser page.

It is most definitely one of the WORST fill in the blank templates I have ever seen. Even some of the freebie sites I have worked on have been set up better than this. It almost reminds me of something like an MSN Live Space except at least on that you can move around some of the elements of the page. Here you can not move anything to anywhere. BUT I did find it allows HTML language to be edited into the text spaces provided and that makes me think that someone who writes HTML could turn this into at least a better site if the decision isn't to switch it to a web master in whole.

I learned that a separate service comes out once a week to make pictures of the cars and take the necessary information to be found on the search the inventory section and that this also goes to other services like car finder. This relates more to the used cars. So I am figuring since they are an independent company from Cobalt that they wouldn't care who they forwarded this information to. I am told that no one from the dealership has time to do this when so many items are involved and with an ever changing inventory.   

If anyone has time to take a look at a few links there - my main question to those of you who are HTML code experts and who may have set up something equivalent to the search for a model function is: Is there anything going on at this site that is so special especially in regards to the model searches that a good web master couldn't duplicate it if not do it even better?

I can't wait to get back in there .. although it's making me frustrated just seeing how overall lame it is. Obviously the person doing the additions needs some help with finding a more professional approach but with what is there to work with - I can see that not a whole lot could be done even by someone like myself without a good knowledge of HTML coding.

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 02:22:06 AM »
I didn't get back in there but worked on my web site remake instead -- SO that was a good thing - I figured I was all geared up to to web work so why not treat myself to my own time   rofl

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 06:46:06 PM »
hmm well after still not getting back in i have continued to look around and i really do not see anything that is so special about it that it could not be duplicated except for the fact that the inventories there are some how connected to some various product search sites that have access to all of the cobalt sites' inventories

I am starting to think maybe he might want to drop the limited manufacturer part of the program and stay with cobalt that offers more choices and options outside of what the manufacturer has allowed but with a decent web mater who can add more pro looking content. I am even thinking it might be easy and quicker to train someone to create the content on a web building program publish it somewhere and then copy paste the HTML -into their designated spaces

This is an interesting project for me though - I am learning things about how these types of web servies work.

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 01:37:50 AM »
quick update - hopefully the site will be rebuilt in full by a different group that specializes in auto sites with extra features - but I offered to be in on the meeting so I can ask some right questions. One thing I really didn't like about the other site was it tried to cookie you all the time and I got tons of auto sales email right after I visited... UGH!  :yuck: and not from them but from the on line service that controls it. If its more of the same of that then on to Plan B.  LOL

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 04:45:19 PM »
WooHoo! - I didn't build this Cobalt did but the pressure to Kia to allow the changes turned out nicely and I am so much more proud of the site now --- at least my input went somewhere in a positive direction.  :clapping:

http://raycarterkia.com

It no longer looks like somebody cooked it up in their garage! LOL

PS it just went live today and I so far found a typo that said trailer instead of vehicle on the welcome page but if you happen to take a look and find anything I would appreciate hearing about it. It is a big site and will take a while to check it out. THANKS for all the input and help - I have learned a lot from this exploration.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 04:53:49 PM by SafariWoman »