Author Topic: CSB4 Vista Home Premium-can't preview  (Read 7675 times)

Offline hidden

• ???
CSB4 Vista Home Premium-can't preview
« on: August 09, 2007, 09:08:52 AM »
I have been using CSB4 for a few years under Windows ME with no problems. Now have a new PC with Windows Vista Home Premium. I have downloaded CSB4 and reinstalled with my serial number. The problem that I am encountering is that a publishing preview saves the .html file in \appdata\local\temp  which windows denies read access to.  I have tried disabling UAC and have all permissions enabled that I can find but still no good.  By selecting Publish the same problem is encounterd Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 11:23:49 AM by Samrc »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: CSB4 Vista Home Premium-can't preview
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 09:17:54 AM »
Windows VISTA... MS really did a number on people with that operating system. I
have not tried out VISTA yet with CSB so I can only coach from the sidelines based
on tech specs and other peoples responses.

Since you have the problem with PREVIEW function... My first best guess is that
you should assign a specific folder in your publishing settings:

Go into your my docs folder and make a folder to hold your web previews.  Call it
WEBPREVIEW if you want.

PUBLISH > OPTIONS > HTML DIRECTORY. 
  Check off box for SAVE COPY OF EXPORTED HTML LOCALLY.
  Use the BROWSE button  to go to the WEBPREVIEW folder, then in the second field
fill in a name of a folder to hold THIS website (if you have more than one website
this becomes very important!).
  Say Ok then try to PREVIEW the site.

This should cause CSB and WINDOWS to work together, avoiding the folder you were having access problems with.
  Don't try to publish until you have previewed once first.
  Then once you are successful, you can UNCHECK that LOCAL HTML BOX and publish.

========
Received email about the advice sent in earlier email above and will post it here for others to know the results:

Many thanks for your advice which worked first time.  Vista seems to go out of its
way to make things difficult if you want to do anything other than download itunes
and videos!!

I have joined your forum and put up the same question for your answer to be appended.

Best regards,
Kevan
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 11:24:03 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• ???
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 07:36:03 AM »
I have CSB3 and can't see either Publish or Preview under the File menu on my new Vista computer.  Everything was working great with XP!What do I do????

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 08:53:47 AM »
sorry.  only csb4 and csb 5 will work on vista.

no one  has gotten 3 to work.

is this the same jeri that has a site about greyhounds?
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 01:39:15 PM »
MORE INFORMATION FOR REFERENCE:
VISTA.  CSB4 and CSB5 work on Vista.  CSB3 will not work.

The only KNOWN issue with CSB 5/VISTA are the graphical buttons.  Some people have reported that the new graphical buttons feature described on this page may not fully work.  This may or may not have a work around. No testing has been done on it.

- You can not just COPY the installed program from your current machine to the new machine. Like always you must install the software using the installation file. If you don't have your original installation file, you can download a fresh copy of the installation file here. Download ONLY the version of the program you already own and have licensed.   All the files offered on that page are 30 day trials and require a serial number to unlock.  If the program is not unlocked and you have gone past your 30 days, you will not be able to publish/preview.  You can register/unlock under the HELP menu.

- You must have administrator rights to install the software on Vista.

- Easiest way to transfer your tlx design files:  Use a USB stick!  Search your computer for the .tlx design files to your new computer.  Cheap, easy and fast!

- Put your files in your Documents folder somewhere.

- Open a file, and you will have to rebuild your HOST SETTINGS for each of your websites/hosts (user name, password, FTP address, etc.). CSB will not know where to send your website files until you recreate all your HOST settings.

- You will need to check your publishing settings...if the file should go to a subdirectory, make sure it is shown in the subdirectory field.

- In publishing options, check the box for Local HTML folder and choose one in your DOCUMENTS folder.  <<< This step is necessary for publishing as Vista can not preview without this step!

Preview.
Publish.

- Anytime you move to a new machine you will have to publish the FULL FILE.  Once fully published the file will only need to update changes.

- You can set the program to run as if under Windows XP.  If you RIGHT CLICK the actual CSB.exe program file, go to properties, you can manually set your system to run the program as if the Op System is older version.

This following describes another WINDOWS issue (not caused by CSB)!
CSB uses the same help file system that most windows programs have used since win 3.1.
Microsoft made a decision to DISCONTINUE shipping the winhlp32.exe help file program with VISTA. They consider this program as no longer meeting their standards. This will disable EVERY HELP FILE for EVERY PROGRAM that depended on windows to have winhlp32.exe program installed.  From the Microsoft site:

The Help files that are titled “How to Use Help” were removed from Windows Vista. The following is the list of files that were removed:
• Windows.hlp
• Winhlp32.hlp
• Winhlp32.cnt
• Winhelp.cnt
• Nocntnt.cnt
The .hlp files that depend on these files may return an error when users try to open them.

Software developers are PROHIBITED from releasing the winhlp app with their software so don't expect it to come with any software.

You can use these resources for help with your CSB program.
CSB5 online help system
CSB4 online help system
CSB4 USER GUIDE CSB 3 users can use this too for the most part.
GlobalSCAPE help area
And of course, the forums and help sites.

====== UPDATED March 31, 2007=======
Microsoft has decided to allow individuals to download a winhelp so older programs will continue to have their help files. But the file can not be distributed by anyone so you must download it directly from MS.  (This solution is for those that do not have a way to move an old copy of WinHlp32.exe from an XP machine.)Here is the official Microsoft page about it.

From Microsoft page:
Users who want to view 32-bit .hlp files must download the program from the Microsoft Download Center, and then install it on their computers.
You can get the WinHlp32.exe file from Microsoft now!

Check out this interesting discussion about the NEW WINHELP TOOL that comes with Vista that works only SOMETIMES.
-Samantha