Author Topic: Managing index.html with Trellix Site builder and FTP Client  (Read 6973 times)

Offline hidden

• Restricted
  • Blind web author from central florida
    • usi fr Sight
I need to replace the published index.html with a copy from my local computer.  The last index.html published with site builder is corrupted.  I can not edit it with site builder.  so I retrieve the last good copy of index.html from my backup library and using my ftp client, uploaded it to replace the corrupt copy.  this works fine.  See http://mysite.verizon.net/reszmkrl/musicforsight
However, when I open site builder to make dialy updates the home page, index.html, is the corrupted copy. 

so, how do I replace the corrupted copy and then have the replacement be in place when I go to edit with site builder?

The best answer I could get from Verizon was "we don't know nothing about Trellix.  What is that"?  The best anser I can get from web.com is delete the whole thing and start over.  Eight years of work involved.  That's not a good solution for me.

Praying for help,
Dj
Dj boen

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Managing index.html with Trellix Site builder and FTP Client
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 10:39:22 PM »
Hi. Welcome to the forum.  Sorry that you are having such a bad problem.  We may not be able to help. But at least we understand your situation.

Trellix was originally a PC installed software made by Trellix Corp. that split into two formats:  
1) PC software was leased to GlobalScape who retitled it CSB and sold it/updated it for several years. Trellix.com was sold to Web.com. Trellix closed doors. Fully portable, our CSB sites are not STUCK using a builder tied to only one host. We can backup the site file (.tlx files) and publish anywhere.  PC software was eventually dropped when Web.com refused to lease the rights to GlobalScape past June, 2006.  Versions 4 & 5 pc software still function, even on windows 7 machines.
2) Web.com released an online builder that was leased to several companies (verizon, earthink, and many more big companies that put their own private name on it...) as an option that could be offered to subscribers of other services as a "perk". Quick fast and easy, this became popular for a while. But no software support and no portability made the online version a headache for lots of folks.  Trellix online by Web.com is the last incarnation of the Trellix line.  

Trellix is built as an HTML GENERATOR. It does NOT edit HTML.  It does not SEE HTML.  It CREATES HTML.
So putting your index.html file into the main web folder will not change what Trellix sees.

Lets see if there is anything we can do....diagnosis... (I don't have much hope, but here goes....)

Using FTP, tell us what file extensions do you see?  .jpg, .gif, .png (images), .htm, .html, (web pages) and what else do you see when you connect to your space?

When you say "corrupted", what do you mean?  What is happening? Can you explain or give a screen shot?  
Is only one page corrupted or all pages?  (only home page is online...)
If not all, which one(s)?

On the page(s) that have problems, have you inserted code into your broken web page?  
Try removing the most recent thing you added/edited on the page.

Have you used any third party scripts, or other non-text or non-image?
Try taking it out!

Bring the page down to only text and images can sometimes clear out bad /broken scripts. If you have a partial code in the page, it can break the page.

If it publishes fine without that stuff, you can add them back one by one and identify WHICH is causing the problem.

I am in central Fl Too.  where are you?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 10:47:20 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Restricted
  • Blind web author from central florida
    • usi fr Sight
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 05:23:28 PM »
Hi Samantha and Everyone Else!
Thanks again for allowing me to join your forum.

I am in Lake Alfred, just north of Winter Haven, east of Lakeland and west of Haines city.  Halfway between Orlando and Tampa.

I call my work Music for Sight.  I have a domain name, musicforsight.org, which is provided to me free from the International Lions club.  They also give me some free storage space.  If I could I would use something like DreamWeaver or FrontPage or it’s successor, I can’t remember it’s name but the acronym is EW, oh yes, Expression Web, and publish my web site entirely on my own.  That’s difficult at best with just a screen reader.  If I was only speaking to a blind audience, I wouldn’t have to worry about visual appeal, but more of my followers are sighted than blind so I want a visually appealing site.  Which is why I chose to use Trellix from Verizon in the first place.  Anyway, my http://www.musicforsight.org address simply forwards visitors to http://mysite.verizon.net/reszmkrl/musicforsight

Here’s more detail on how and what corrupted the index.html.

If you go to http://mysite.verizon.net/reszmkrl/musicforsight

You will see near the top a heading for “Today’s tune.  A little text about the song, a download  and listen link and then a picture of the album cover with a link to buy it from amazon.  Btw, I’ve been doing the amazon.com associate affiliate program for several years to raise money for my passion, guide dogs in general and Southeastern Guide Dog School in Palmetto in particular.

And that is where the problem occurred.

I copied the code from amazon associates and then went to add it to my web page.

I do this by logging into my Verizon account, going to edit my website which opens the Trellix page and then selecting my web site.  I imagine y’all already know all that, but I don’t want to leave out anything.

So the Trellix Site builder opens.  The All My Sites page contains my published website.  I hit the link to edit it.

A couple site builder frames and the the Music for Sight editing frame.

I’ve been doing this for a while now, so I just went to the text box that holds the code I get from amazon.

I hit the edit text link and the page opened to edit the text.

I hit the view/hide html link so the html code was displayed.

I selected the code between <div> and </div> and pasted the newly acquired code from amazon.

I hit the view hide html link again, and the link to go to amazon with my associate id built in was there.  I hesitate to keep mentioning I’m blind, but it helps explain what might seem like stupid moves.

I wasn’t sure the actual album cover image was displaying.  The way my screen reader was reading it, it kind of sounded like the html code, not the picture, was being displayed.  Sort of like maybe I had not put the code in between the div tags.

So I hit the view hide html link again and thought I head too many div tags like say

<div></div><div></div>

So, thinking I had too many div tags, thereby causing the code rather than the image to be displayed, I set focus to the div tags and was trying to delete the extra’s when my computer and screen reader got in a big tussle over resources.  Suddenly, I was out of the page for editing text and back to the point where the page currently  being edited is displayed.

I went down to the text box where the album cover is supposed to be.  It was there.  The buy from amazon link was there, and the privacy link was there.  But then, instead of the edit text link which should immediately follow the text box I was in the bottom site builder frame.

The edit text link, which should have been right below the album was not there.  Nothing but the bottom of the editing frame and the top of the site builder frame.

In desperation, I hit the delete link with hopes of just deleting the text box.  The delete link worked fine,  but the check box which should have immediately followed the text box was not there. 

I keep local copies of all the pages I create.  So, I thought, I’ll close site builder, open the ftp client, delete index.html and then upload a copy from locally.

The first thing I observed was that the index.html file still had the date and time stamp from the last time I successfully edited.

So I deleted it.  I had a copy of it locally.

Then I went back to site builder, found of course, the home page still missing the bottom half and going directly to the bottom site builder frame with no edit text link following the edit box that contained the album cover.

I went ahead and published.  Sure enough, the corrupted, maybe truncated would be a better word, home page was published.

I closed site builder and went back to my ftp client.  The new index.html was there, half the size it should have been, about 39k instead of 78k.

Thinking I was on the right track, I deleted the index.html  then uploaded the copy from my local machine.  I opened my website, http://mysite.verizon.net/reszmkrl/musicforsight and everything was there.  My son came in about that time and I asked him if the picture of album was there or just code.  He said the album cover was there.

Still thinking I was on the right track, I went back to trellix to continue editing, but alas, much to my chagrin, the truncated page was back in the editing window.

I viewed the page’s source code and found that where the </div> tag should have been, was only </d

As for what my ftp view shows me, it is all the pages in my web site in the ftp://mysite.verizon.net/musicforsight folder

The images are displayed in the sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures folder 

It would seem site builcder keeps the unpublished files in a location I do not have access to.  Or do not know how to find.

So, as of right now, the web site is still there.  I just can’t edit my home page anymore.  If nothing else, you would think the Trellix Site builder would allow users to delete and create a new index.html.  If it does, I sure can’t figure it out.

Thanks for your time and consideration.  And of course, I still believe my prayer for help will be answered.  Somehow!

Dj
Dj boen

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 07:44:45 PM »
My first diagnosis was on the right, inserted code caused your initial problem. It often is.
And you may have compounded the issue, not being able to see the issue.

It would seem site builcder keeps the unpublished files in a location I do not have access to.  Or do not know how to find.
True.  As I said, Trellix is not an HTML Editor. It is an HTML Generator.  It stores the data in compressed format.
I do not know if you have access to that compressed file or not. But even if you did, you can't edit it in anything other than Trellix online.

If you would like me to personally try to edit your account I will gladly try.  I don't think I can fix it. But I think it is worth a try.
Trying to tell you what to look for, to try would be doubly blind and would most likely miss any opportunity you have to get the site working again working. I would try to see if any remnents of the bad code that can be removed, or adjust the page to see if it can be tweaked to clear it while leaving your other pages intact...  When I went to your site, you only have your old home page posted. The other pages are not online right now.

You would have to provide me with your user name/password & FTP info privately (off the forum) so I could access your site.
I would not purposely harm your site or take your data. After I try to work on the file, you could always change the password.
send me a couple emails (split password into separate email from the rest of FTP and login info) at
(email removed)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 07:13:24 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 03:24:33 AM »
Ok...edited the site.

That's the best I can do with Trellix Online. There is no way to replace the home page. Any other page can be replaced but not the home page.

Home page still has corrupted html code below the Amazon ad. But the page can now be edited and published. Your "missing" content was put back into your web pages.  Your Blog entries are on the new scoop.html web page instead of the home page.

Hope it does not give you problems going forward...

-Samantha