Author Topic: Why is what you see NOT what you get ??  (Read 6138 times)

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
Why is what you see NOT what you get ??
« on: March 25, 2008, 04:52:13 PM »
Hello all,

When i have for example an image of a Ipod.
I insert the image in a page.
On the screen of the ipod i insert 5 seperate lines and the lines are also images with the text of a song. The meaning is that a click on that line there will be a audiofile start.
BUT.. in CSB 4.0 i must insert the image and then with the spacebar i put the images exactly in the screen. When i do a Preview the images are not in the screen of the ipod.

I must say that the Ipod is a part of the background !!!!

Anyone have a idea what i can do best so that what i do also see in the preview ???

Thanks a lot !!!

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
Re: Why is what you see NOT what you get ??
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 05:55:16 PM »
Hi I want to make sure we understand.. on a picture that you are using as your page background there is an image of an ipod where you want to insert in specific places lines of text that will link to a file..

are the lines of text actually on an image that you want to link to the files?

and just being sure .. this image is not inserted in a frame but is used as the entire page background?

Is there an address where we can see it now?

In the mean time, if I understand what you are trying to do correctly, I don't think you can do this with precision when using the image in the background in Cute. So I would probably create the ipod image separately that had the text link areas already included on the image. I would slice the image so that clicking on each segment under the text area would link to the files as desired. I would then insert them put together to look like a solid image using frames to position the completed image where I wanted it on the page or as close as using frames would allow it to be in Cute. Of course the frame borders would be hidden so that only the image of the phone is visible.

I am sure someone else might come up with another way to do it as well.  :yes:

Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 09:18:38 PM »
CSB IS a WYSIWYG program.  But an EARLY version of this type program.
CSB has limitations:
We do not have drag and drop.
We do not have images in background of tables.
We do not have text OVER images.

But you can still do what you want....3 ways to have the effect you want:

1) Use a photo program to put the lines of text on the image.  Then SLICE that image into pieces.  Put those images into CSB and link those images to your files by right clicking and choosing your link.  Usually use the URL style link. You can see an example here, made just for you this evening!  Took me more time to write the tutorial than to modify and slice the image!  This is the fastest for ME to do.

2) Make an image map.  Take the image into an image map program and make HOTSPOTS on the image.  Here is one I made in Paint Shop Pro with instructions how to put it into your web page. Lots of image map software available, some paid, some free.  This technique, your links are built in the photo program and it gives you the HTML code to put into your webpage (with INSERT HTML box).

3) Use the image as a background, put links on top. This is what you really want to do.  But in CSB, you must MANUALLY do it. I have several samples like that here with instructions.  You must use CODE to do what you want.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 09:23:47 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 07:05:55 AM »
Thank you all so much for your fast, good and kind help !

Look on www.huphter.nl
The backgrounds are made in COrel Paint shop pro.
Yesterday the site is going live. For users with a good resolution 1280x1024 and min. a 17" monitor it is good enough. BUT when for example a laptop user the site visits.. IT IS DRAMATICLY.

I am not an expert as you are i'm not working with codes so your example is difficult to understand .
WHat i did:
Everything on the site is a background not an insert Image.
On the post-its you can see on each page. i insert Image what is a link to another page.
So as you can see it on the site i don't see it that way in CSB.
There i see the images (links to pages) on another postion/another line. not centered in each post it.
That is very difficult to work with.

So tips are welcome , and i hope you can help me with the biggest problem. What must i do so everybody can see the site i do on each computer.

Thank you again for your great help !!! :clapping:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 09:11:57 AM »
You asked that question before in an email directly to me.   
I answered that question before in response to that email.

Monitor size means NOTHING.
Resolution is the important thing. Resolution is the pixel count.  You can put a 1280x960 resolution setting on a 17" monitor but things would be tiny.  And you can set your 20" screen to 800x600 and every thing would be HUGE.
You can not control how people have their equipment set.
So you must design your site for the smallest RESOLUTION you want to support. 
Samisite.com is build with 800x600 as the lowest setting.  More people use 1024x768 but people with older eyes often have the monitor set to 800x600 so they can read more comfortably.  You should know who will be using YOUR site and design for them.

As mentioned in the email, if you are using a background image on your web page, there are certain things you can do and certain things you CAN NOT do.  Please see this set of samples that demonstrate background images in CSB. 

If you set your image to CENTERED and the table over top of it is CENTERED, you will have a more consistent look on every computer, no matter the resolution.You are using CSB 4 so I recommend you set YOUR monitor to the size you want to design.  (I have mine at 800x600 when in CSB). Make everything fit on the page for YOU, centering the table, centering the image.  Then publish.  Look at your site in different resolution settings (you can change YOUR monitor settings) and check how it looks.   I use the CENTERED background and CENTERED table on my samisite.com home page to be consistent from machine to machine.

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 10:34:41 AM »
Yes , I know.. that was a other question with the sam emeaning ;(
So every picture is 1280x1024 that doesn't mather you said... i put mine monitor in 1024x768 amd then create everything again ?
Is that what you sayng ??

And i'm not sure what you mean bij table and centred.
When i start to make the site, in a blanc screen.
I did, Properties, PAGE, Background, and there i put the picture (all you can see on the site) but not the images theyy are links.

If you go to the site www.huphter.nl the first thing what  appear is the images and then the background.. is there something what i can do about ??

Thanks again for you great help ... and sorry that i ask the same questions ,.. for you is it easy for me is it not a daily job ! :-[

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 12:30:38 PM »
I am trying my best to explain.
Look at my samisite.com home page.
I have a large table in the center of the page.
If you look at my page in 800x600 it fits in the center.
If you look at my page in 1024x768 the table still fits in the center of the page.
ONE page built to fit 800x600 will still look similar to everyone.
Larger resolutions end up with more space to the side of the table but the table and contents inside it always stay the same!

SO....for YOU....
Make ONE version of the site. 
Make it in your computer. 
Set your monitor to 1024x768.
Make everything fit that page.

Put your picture in the background.
Use a piece of script (shown here) to make sure that image is CENTERED at the top of the page.

INSERT TABLE and click button on tool bar to CENTER it on the page.
Put all your pictures, links, your text.
You put your webpage into this table.  You can hide the table by right clicking Table Properties and choose the DOTTED ---- lines for borders.

Your background picture appears last because it is so heavy.  It is 310.54 KB.  You should optimize it more, if possible to make it lighter.  Browsers can load several small images in the same amount of time it takes to load that really heavy one.

DESIGN NOTE:
I would NOT try to line up text onto that background!!!
It will fit on only a small portion of computer monitors. Sometimes the text will be way off.
I would REMOVE the yellow STICKY notes from the background picture. Or leave them and make MORE small individual pictures of yellow sticky notes that would be put ON TOP of the ones in the background.  Each little sticky note should have text on it.  Then put THOSE small images into your table on your website and link the IMAGE with text on it to your pages.

Example... take this image, put your text on it.  Then put that image in your web page. Use that image as a link to your page.  Or take the whole strip of yellow sticky notes as one piece. Put text on it and put it into your web page as cut pieces as I mentioned in my first post on this thread.  I gave you a link to a sample I made for you.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 01:04:07 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 01:21:41 PM »
Thank you for your great help ... again !!!!!

Hmm,... i can start over again  :-[

Things getting clear (finaly you thinking i guess :)

I make a test (New site)
- Monitor res is 1024x768
- Background page is the same i sent you (half of the picture is fitting)
- Insert Center code
- Then Insert table (but that is something i don't understand what the meaning of that is.. if i understand you right, the background is whatever.. and the complete webpage (each (sub)page) is put in a Table ??
Why is that neccesary en what is making things better when i use these method ?

And with the post its you mean,.. don't use thes in the background but make them loose images and so linkable images ?
But that is a problem i ques.. it would be nice the postits on that background.. and that is not possible.. because when i put a postit image (you send) i get a brown background (on the postit) when i insert that image..

...............  :-\

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 02:22:03 PM »
Tables are used in CSB to HOLD YOUR CONTENT in place.
INSERT TABLES is a menu item.  It is also has a button on the toolbar.

KW has a good tutorial on tables here.
Then I took a table instruction a little further.

[urlhttp://www.samisite.com/test-csb/layered_tables.htm]Please see this page for an explanation of how I made my home page.[/url]
I use a large table with little tables inside it.

don't use thes in the background but make them loose images and so linkable images ?
Yes.  You can still have a background image with all the little images on it.
But the STICKIES that are links should be SEPARATE.
As I said before:   You can not accurately float words over a picture in CSB.
You must have the words in your picture.

t would be nice the pos on that background.. and that is not possible.. because when i put a postit image (you send) i get a brown background (on the postit) when i insert that image..

I prepared that image with a TRANSPARENT background.  You can see that in this forum. 
When you put the image into CSB, it LOOKS like it has a brown background but when you PUBLISH that page, the background goes away.  If you change the picture to put text on it, you MUST save it as a TRANSPARENT gif in YOUR photo software...define brown color as transparent.  I show how one program does it here.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 03:15:08 PM »
Hello Samantha,

Something is weird about the postits.. (sticky you called it).

You send me a sticky.gif.. and when i preview it.. no background !! That is what i want.
I look in your link what to do with to make it transparant.. and i did eveything you told ( i have Corel paint shop pro X2)..
And still i get the background..
I have CSB4.0 so i have ( i guess) nothing to do there because there is nothing to do. I don't have that issue with your sticky.

I must build everything new in 1024x768.. and the sticky's was also a very good tip.. otherwise its complete chaos with letters on images.

Thank you !!!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 05:12:44 PM »
In paint shop pro (I use version 9), it is not enough to define brown as transparent. You MUST have the image TRANSPARENT when you save it.

In my version, I go to IMAGE, PALETTE, VIEW TRANSPARENCY.  Then in my PSP window I see a gray and white checkered "transparent" look to the image.  Then I can save the file in a TRANSPARENT mode.  If it does not LOOK transparent when I save it in my version of PSP, the picture is not transparent.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 03:25:26 AM »
Hi it might not be the case here but I have found some people save the image and since they mostly save as a jpeg that is what they automatically do and the transparent backgrounds can't make it in that format when they were created as gifs. Just a thought.
Success is a way of life found moment by moment