Author Topic: SQL Database & CS5?  (Read 3469 times)

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
SQL Database & CS5?
« on: May 08, 2009, 11:46:59 PM »
I need to create a site that allows guests to register. Once registered they go to their own page that reflects
their purchasing habits.  On the same page they would have the ability to edit their contact info when necessary.

Also, after registering and E-mail is automatically sent to them and me confirming their registration.  As well, if they
edit their info an E-mail is sent to both parties as well.

Then I need the ability to update a member's purchasing history on a daily basis for those that need updating. And, once updated the new info is shown on their individual page as well as their past history.

Is this pushing CuteSite too far?  Thanks,  Don

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: SQL Database & CS5?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 01:43:14 PM »
CSB does many things, and interfaces with many others.  Also allows programing languages to be used in and with CSB pages (psp, java, javascript, cgi, etc).

Password protected pages can be done in CSB in several ways.
Individual subdirectories for each person can be done with CSB too.
Registering Email sends confirmation to two addresses is simply a script that is implemented, some can be put into CSB.

BUT then you get into another issue:  editing contact info, daily and past purchasing history. 
By putting this into the mix, I would recommend you look at shopping cart software (maybe ZEN) that allows individual registration, contact pages that can be modified by the individual, that allows orders online (with or without payment online) so they can be tracked.  Tied to SQL database, it would be light and easy to use for your customer.  All of it in ONE unit.  No CSB.  You could have a main page with CSB that points to the login, etc then put the shopping software into its own subdirectory. 

Take a look at this thread.   Check out the site to test out software BEFORE you install on your site.
Many hosts have Fantastico and other software installation packages that make intalling these things fairly easy.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
Re: SQL Database & CS5?
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 12:55:33 PM »
Thank you for the direction - - truly appreciated.
Looks like I have a learning curve ahead of me.
Not a bad thing.

I saw a small mention of Turtle & the Rainbow
Bridge.  I used to cross the Rainbow Bridge
daily outside of Bridge City, Texas.  Same one?