Author Topic: Redirects in CSB  (Read 3513 times)

Offline hidden

• Restricted
Redirects in CSB
« on: September 05, 2009, 11:08:49 PM »
Hi - I'm a new, completely code-challenged (ie don't know how to use it) member with a CSB 3 hobby site that I have moved to a new URL as the current host is stopping free hosting.

The old site will disappear on 30 September 2009. Can I use a 301 direct with CSB to send searchers to the new address till then? the 'old' host gives users a sub-domain (hope this is correct term) and I don't believe I can access a console. If not, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

The site registers very well in google searches and I don't want to lose this so my plan would be to add a 301 redirect to each page. Appreciate that acting on this some months ago would have been better!

Site to be discontinued is here - h**P://www.users.bigpond.com/ortonp while new doman is here - h**p://www.spridget.org  

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 07:10:24 PM by Samrc »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Redirects in CSB
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 08:07:05 PM »
Yes... You can do redirects on those pages till the old site goes away.
That will help direct current traffic to those pages.
BUT.
Once the old site is gone, your google rankings will drop. LOW. They may never come back.
So people that use google, yahoo, etc search engines will not find you.

To fight that, you MUST contact EVERYONE that links to your site NOW and tell them to change links to your website to the new address.  Visit forums that talk about collectible autos, MG, etc and post questions, help on them, CONTRIBUTE to the forums.  Put a link to your site in your signature to your site.  Those links will help to support the new site.

Develop other incoming links to the NEW site from well established sites NOW.
To help, I put a temporary link to your new site on the home page of SAMISITE.com so that when I am next spidered, your site will be seen too (hopefully).  I'll leave it up for a month or so.

Yes putting in redirects a while back would have helped. 

DO NOT redirect YOUR HOME PAGE of the old site! You can add a colored box with linked TEXT to your new home page telling all your visitors that webpage will be dismantled. Please visit and bookmark the NEW site.  Add a spinning graphic or something to capture attention but do not redirect that page.

The other pages can have redirects.

- THE BEST AND ONLY WAY I RECOMMEND IS putting in PERMANENT 301 SERVER SIDE redirects.

- Best alternative to that if you can not assign a server-side (through your control panel or htaccess file) is to use a PHP piece of code in the HEAD of your web page.  IF and only if your website settings allow html pages to be read for active code, this will work. You would have to edit your CSB HTML pages manually to include the code into the HEAD of the pages. This will ONLY work if your server is set to read and act on PHP code while on an htm or html page.
Code: [Select]
header("HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently");
header("Location: http://www.yournewhome.com/newdir/newpage.htm");
exit();

If that is not available, you should still put in code redirects.  These are not recommended but if they are the only way you can redirect, then you can do it.

) META TAG.  Check out KW's website for the instruction and redirect code here
<META HTTP-EQUIV=Refresh CONTENT="0; URL=http://www.yournewhome.com">

2) Javascript redirects. These can actually do more harm than good for some sites. Google can remove your rankings if they are used.  But are a worst-case scenario... use a body onload statement or this window notice in the page body:
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
window.location = "http://www.yournewhome.com/"
//-->
</script>

3) Javascript count down scripts are freely available online.

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 10:48:29 PM »
Many thanks Samantha - started on the messages to webmasters of linked sites some weeks ago and also to DMOZ which is what, I think, got it up in google rankings way back when. Will try the redirects you have suggested but time is running out!  Paul.

Offline hidden

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 11:53:24 PM »
Hi again Samantha - how do you manually edit the page to include the PHP code into its Head? Does the code just go onto the page throught the insert html command or through one of the fields in the properties dialogue box?

thanks again, Paul. 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 03:06:13 AM »
In CSB5 you can insert code into the head from within the program

In earlier versions, you need to MANUALLY open the page with an html editor (lots of free ones available, can even use NOTEPAD if you want for this purpose). 

The html pages have been uploaded to the website.  Use FTP program to get a copy of them and edit them manually.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )