Author Topic: CSB Software password issue  (Read 5648 times)

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
CSB Software password issue
« on: December 28, 2010, 03:43:43 PM »
hi. i have similar situation (to the lost software). i am changing computers, so i copied the CSB4 folder from my 'program files' and pasted it (along with the .tlx file of my site) to a flash drive. then i carried the flash drive over to the new computer and pasted it into 'program files' ...then, i double clicked the .tlx file and whammo, up came the install manager and after i entered the CSB serial number, i was looking good.

then, when i went to publish it asked me for a username and pw...and i don't know which site/program this is for. i called FatCow (my host) and asked them. i entered their username/pw correctly and i still get an error message. i am able to publish on my old computer, but for some reason on the new computer it is asking for it. i had previously moved the sw over to a new laptop this same way without this error condition (it didn't ask for a username/pw when publishing). am i correct in assuming that the username/pw the sw is looking for is the hosting company's?
thanks for any pointers you can give...alan levit

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: CSB Software password issue
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 08:39:22 PM »
well...I split your post into its own thread so it can be addressed directly.  You may have separate issues that need to be resolved.

1) CSB needs to be installed, not just copied.
You do need to copy the TLX files, but moving the PROGRAM FILES folder/contents is not properly installing the program.
Open CSB, click HELP, ABOUT to see if your registration info shows properly.  

2) Also, once the program is installed properly and the serial number is in place, you still do not have the PUBLISHING data.
That information (username, password, site, etc) needs to be manually added to the new computer OR copied/pasted from the original Registry.
PLEASE look at this page for FULL instructions how to move to a new computer, including your HOSTS:
http://www.samisite.com/csb5demo_win7/windows7.htm

I expect this data is missing and you need to put it in.  Follow the instructions for HOSTS.
I prefer the registry export/import option. I have successfully moved all my hosts from ME to XP, then from XP to Win 7 this way!  Less entry, less problems.
BUT...Note that editing your REGISTRY entries (exporting/importing) is done at your OWN risk!  If you do it, go SLOWLY, CAUTIOUSLY!  Only take the lines you are told to take, not everything. And backup before you do it!

Let us know how it goes.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 08:52:07 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 09:29:15 PM »
hi sami, thx for the fast response.
it seems that i installed CSB properly on the new XP machine. (HELP/ABOUT shows the correct registration)

when i open my .tlx file (that i copied from the old XP machine) i manually copied the information in PUBLISH/OPTIONS (website url, home page and ftp site name) and entered it on the new XP machine (in PUBLISH/OPTIONS)...and after it converts to web format prior to publishing, it asks for a user name and a pw. i presume that is for my hosting site, but my host username & pw do not work (the old XP machine doesn't ask for it - it just publishes). if not for the host, then what might it be for?

the page you sent me to explains how to port CSB from XP to win7...i am going from XP to XP. i did it before using this same method and it worked. for some reason now, i am getting asked for a user name/pw and i don't know what to enter. is there a way that i can 'see' what is in the old XP machine?
alan

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 10:21:08 PM »
Ah... You are moving to another XP not win 7.
Fine.  Same techniques apply, except the HELP FILE works properly in XP without any "fix".

The old machine does not ask for the username/password because it is stored in the Windows Registry already.
The new machine does not have this information yet.
You manually typed in what you thought was correct but if you are off just by one tiny thing, you will not be able to publish.

As to seeing what is in CSB on the old machine, only limited info is displayed for HUMAN viewing.
You can follow the HOST export instructions I noted on that page and EXPORT the hosts in the registry from the old machine and IMPORT them into your new machine intact.
Then you know the host settings (user name, password, sites, even spaces) are exactly the same as before.
YOU will not be able to read them but the machines will.

If you have not done so already, please follow the instructions for EXPORTING HOST data from the old machine and IMPORTING the HOST data into new machine.
Then open the tlx file, publish, options and make sure you choose the exact same host from the list (if you have more than one host).
And assign the subdirectory as necessary too.
If you are not publishing with frames, make sure you UNCHECK the box for frames the first time you publish on the new machine.
Try to publish.

=========
Please note that sometimes the issue is NOT in CSB!  I expect it is since you have not published from that machine yet.
But for reference please read:
http://www.samisite.com/publish/id79.htm#loginrequired

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 04:57:09 PM »
well, how goes it?

Check your settings by following these instructions:
http://www.samisite.com/publish/index.htm#ftptest
or use an FTP program to test your settings.   
(basic instructions for using FTP is here:   http://samisite.com/forum/index.php?topic=240.0)

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 05:02:49 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 12:30:36 PM »
hi again, i did the export/import of the registry and IT WORKED! hooray for you, hooray for your site! thank you and have a happy and healthy new year.
alan :clapping:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 05:25:34 PM »
 :TUP: :hapscream: :hapscream: :hapscream: :TUP:
Congratulations!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 03:47:25 PM »
SPLIT the last post into a into a new topic since it is a different issue. re: move to new laptop
http://samisite.com/forum/index.php?topic=868.msg12889#msg12889
-Samantha