Author Topic: Feline urinary issue - something you can do  (Read 5512 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Feline urinary issue - something you can do
« on: June 28, 2007, 10:10:17 AM »
Yucky topic.... :yuck: but I have found a lovely simple solution for a cat that can not get into a litter box anymore.  PUPPY TRAINING PADS!  Inexpensive and sanitary!

My elderly cat still uses the litter box on most days.  She has always been fastidious.
But she has great difficulty getting up and down some days so getting into the litter box is becoming difficult for her.  Like most cats in her position, she chose one specific alternative spot to go in.  :yuck:

After cleaning up the first time, I placed a puppy training pad there.
She has used the puppy pads 4 times since then!  SUCCESS!
No muss, no fuss clean-up.  No leakage, no smell!  No stress for her or me.

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
Re: Feline urinary issue - something you can do
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 11:54:32 PM »
Very good idea Sam. I could see that possibly working for older dogs as well as cats.
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 10:43:22 AM »
Say what? Puppy Training Pads. Ingenious - one is never too old to learn something new or a new use for something old. Good idea :idea:
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 03:11:57 PM »
Another use:
I think these pads might be quite nice for cats after surgery too when they are not allowed to use litters.
Don't think it would train them to use other materials as long as you use them temporarily and go back to litter in the pan when it is allowed by the vet. Even if you were to make strips of the puppy pad, it would be cleaner and more absorbent than the strips of newspaper/paper towel (as my vet had me do when she had surgery years ago). Nicer for kitty to stand on and make it much easier cleaning.

----
UPDATE:
This morning she did both solid and liquid on the pad. Covered the solid with one corner of the pad (as I said, fastidious).  I have a brick on 3 corners to keep it in place so she could only cover with the one corner.

It's been a very good. very easy, very clean, very economical, low stress answer for both of us.
I waited to post on the forum about this until I knew for sure she was going to use it repeatedly. It was such a weird idea that I really was not sure would work.

She doesn't need them every day. But when she does, it is ready for her. This morning she watched me replace the pad and rubbed my legs with both head and body seemingly quite content with the situation. She likes the texture of the pad and it stays nice and dry for her feet so that is a plus. Best of all, the throw rug in her room, the linens on her bed and the indoor/outdoor carpeting on the screen porch stay clean..

The pads help to give us some more time together without the major cleaning hassles associated with deterioration of kidneys. 

AND SO FAR.... Only the one cat is using it! :boogie:
The other female that has been her companion for a couple weeks still prefers the litter box (GREAT!) so I have not created a problem long-term.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 03:32:08 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 10:59:44 AM »
Update:   STILL GOING WELL!  My old cat is ONLY using the pads, not even trying to get into the regular litter pan now.  Even been able to get the pads on sale!  :boogie:

I made one change. A week or so ago, I took a clear storage bin (high side, flat bottom, and wide) and cut off one side.  I put the puppy pad in the bin.  Now my old kitty can walk into and out of the "cat pan".  And if my other cat should decide to use the pad, I don't have to worry about overspray.  It will be caught in the storage bin.  SO FAR only one cat is using the pads, but just didn't want to take the chance.  Easier to clean the bin than alternatives...

Maybe I should seek out a patent on a cat pan with replaceable pads for aged cats.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 11:23:36 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 10:59:54 AM »
Hi Sam - so glad to hear that everything is still going as well as it can be. That is such a smart idea about the kitty pan -- I guess it is true- necessity is the mother of invention! I am wishing you and all of your "family" the best.
Success is a way of life found moment by moment