Author Topic: FORUM TO UNDERGO UPGRADE  (Read 7664 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
FORUM TO UNDERGO UPGRADE
« on: June 30, 2011, 12:08:54 PM »
SMF version 2.0 has finally been released to the public.  It is in final release, no longer Beta.
Though this forum is on the stable last version of 1.0 (1.1.14) it is still strongly recommended that we upgrade to 2.0.

Am considering this...  :ss-shocked: :unsure:  am scared I will mess it up!
And once I do, I will have to do my mods again to make it look like samisite again.   :(
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
Re: FORUM TO UNDERGO UPGRADE
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 02:47:28 PM »
The forum works well as is, but if the newer version improves it further, then why not install it.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 03:29:10 PM »
I will have to upgrade at some point and have known that for more than a year while 2.0 has been in beta.
When I put together This version, I had Don (Turtle) as my mentor and guide.
I did the work, and only turned to him a couple times in that process but I knew he would get me back on track if I went wrong.
I had a safety net.
I miss him as a person and as my advisor and it is scary to do such a drastic replacement solo.
Just don't want to break the forum moving it forward. Have gotten used to applying updates but upgrading to a NEW forum is totally different.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 02:18:15 PM »
Yes. He is missed, but you've done a great job since then and I'm sure you'll overcome the obstacles.

I'm :luck: for when you upgrade. 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 04:07:53 PM »
I hope you are right.  :luck:  
I am currently reading as much as I can before trying, to get a better understanding of what to expect...and known issues.

I will shut down the forum at some point in the next few days to give it a go. Hopefully forum will only be down for less than an hour. Then I can tweak the "look" after it is up and live.

Maybe I will change the tones...Maybe not...dunno... I find the current colors comfortable on my eyes, but would be willing to consider other combinations...
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 08:27:26 AM »
Image is more important for branding where bucks are involved. If you like the color, keep it. It's your image and it is quite unique and matches your main site too.

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 10:15:44 AM »
Sami, if you are a bit nervous about the upgrade, could you do this?:

if you have enough disk space on your account, set up another dummy forum in the current release, then do a test upgrade on that copy before doing it on the real thing.
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 05:38:38 PM »
Well the "package" upgrade did not work. Error.
The webinstall could not complete.
SO... I went to very basic..   

Deleted ALL folder and files except for:
 - attachments directory
 - Settings.php
 - Settings.bak.php

Uploaded Large Upgrade package and extracted to my forum folder, the used upgrade.php to complete.
Forum is a FRESH install of 2.0, using a converted 1.1.14 database.
 :clapping:

I have started to change out some of my graphics from the old version (notice the webgem symbols instead of the little boxes, and my little dragonfly post notifications?)
I think the BASICS are back and functioning (my smilies, avatars, post images, etc)
And will have to make some NEW ones too... 
Let me know if you find issues...
 :yuck:  GACK.... That purple is just too bright....   :yuck: 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 11:12:09 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 10:41:27 PM »
Ok... played with css, graphics and like this purple better.  New green fade image....  Even a fresh SamiSite dragonfly for top. But not linked yet.  Need to get that done too... Nope...added text link to samisite instead.

Sticky posts backgrounds changed to greens instead of reds.  "NEW" green bullet appears beside the child boards as necessary. Darkened green font for topic names.

Don't know that I will like this WHITE posting form.  Might find a way to adjust that. Seems like a glare to me. Hard to look at...too bright on my eyes.  What do you folks think? suggestions?

* Samrc feeling better about vesrion 2.0

Code: [Select]
Coding note:   USE   /me   to have your comment made into emotion statement!  Example: /me feeling better about version 2.0 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 09:52:28 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 09:16:36 AM »
The new forum has a clean look. Really like it. Congrats!  :TUP:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 09:54:31 AM »
 :thankyousign:
Getting more used to the look and feel...
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 02:28:44 PM »
Rick,

You wrote "if you have enough disk space on your account...". I assume that refer to the disk space of the hosting service providers computer, but would that be Simple Machines or Sami's service provider. I'm just confused as to actually where this kind of forum is run from. Say I wanted to start a forum like this and my service provider has my email on a Linux server at their premises, would I upload a file and run it like publishing a web site? I've looked at the Simple Machines help but can't find the how to steps.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 04:52:27 PM »
The samisite.com forum is stored and run from the samisite.com web space and so is the database.
I maintain the forum using update packages from a browser screen inside the ADMIN panel.
I can turn on and off different options, limitations, etc.
Nothing is built/maintained on my own computer. I do keep a backup of all the forum files on my pc.
There are MODS you can add or themes you can load to expand capabilities.
But each MOD may not be compatible with the next update package. (found that out early on)
With each post, the database grows and takes up more of my web space.
I disallow attachments to limit the amount of space used for the forum.

SMF and other forums are a package you download to your computer.

If your control panel (like cPanel) can "unpack" (like unzip) you upload the package to the hosted space and extract it.
If you can not unpack on the server, you do it at your own computer then upload the parts to web host.
Put package or contents into the folder where you want the forum.

Using the FULL install package:
In the browser, you go to the install.php file in the forum folder.
It walks you through the setup, tying to the database, etc.
You will be requested to provide answers like where are the databases stored, etc.
So you need info from the host before getting started.
The installer can set up database for you if you provide permission.

But you might want to take a look at the WEBINSTALL instructions. The latest (they say easiest) way to install SMF forum: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Webinstall
Can download it here: http://download.simplemachines.org/  (scroll past full and upgrade to get webinstall)
It stops and starts during download to limit drag on server.
When done extracting, it will send you to the proper installation page to answer questions to set up the forum.

(Note that when I upgraded to v2 from 1.1.14 the webinstall did not work for me...  :( so I came up with another way!)
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 06:47:22 PM »
Ed, I expect Sami has answered your question perfectly. With forum software such as SMF, everything resides on the web hosts server, so you need enough available space for that on your hosting account.

What I was referring to with my comment about disk space, was the available disk space which Sami may have on her host server account. I was suggesting she could do a "dummy" upgrade by installing a second "invisible" copy of the forum on the server and testing with that.
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 09:04:25 PM »
Rick,
I have a dummy v1 forum on samisite that is a "default" install. I used it as my test bed for upgrades since the live version we used had modified code.
That test forum had 5 posts in it as a test. BUT when I went to V2 I had to undo my code changes, uninstall mods I had added in, backup and then try to move forward.
That test forum did not help in that case.  I can get rid of it now. Thanks for reminding me!
I am doing my best to stay out of V2 code... (Though I have adjusted a few things, I doubt they will effect any updates/upgrades.  I have twitchy fingers that like to play/tweak)
I did not want the standard blue theme. Nor did I want someone else's version of a theme. Would rather do it myself.  Making changes in V2 is more challenging than V1 for me.
And I did not go crazy...just enough to make the forum reflect samisite.

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 10:22:21 PM »
Another mod applied.   :hapscream:
Try logging out of your own name so you become a guest.
Then look at one of the threads (like word games, etc)
Notice anything different? 
 rofl
And if you click the strange thing you are told no.  (already had that NO implemented)   :TUP: rofl

And adjusted overall text size up a bit from 78% to 88%.  :TUP:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 04:16:33 PM »
Rick & Sami,

Thanks for the explanations. So it means one has to provide enough space on the your own web site hosting server. Approximately how much space? I'm just inquiring for the future.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 08:55:56 PM »
Besides SMF seems to have less reported security issues than some of the others (some get hacked on a regular basis), it is also lightweight.
Of course this depends on the number of posts, if you want to allow attachments, uploading, pictures, etc. AND your index/search criteria.  I do not use a FULL search setting which takes the most space.  Choose to use a lesser version.  SO...samisite's forum folder on the web host (duplicated on my own computer for backup) is 13.6MB.  Plus the database. In zipped form it is about 5MB! Unzipped closer to 8MB. I have kept ALL legit posts since day one yet it is tiny.

Looks bigger/more impressive than that doesn't it?    :TUP:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 09:03:03 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 07:17:17 AM »
Compact but powerful is important.

Good to know. Thanks.