Author Topic: Sam's ongoing cat story..... (renamed topic)  (Read 26649 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Sam's ongoing cat story..... (renamed topic)
« on: May 07, 2007, 12:00:44 AM »
Been a crummy day...Among several things, including receiving depressing news three ,

A very minor, insignificant storm with very high gusts of winds today took down part of a red blackjack oak tree, blocking my back door and taking down trim around the screenroom. That oak and another in the back yard need to immediately be taken down. The other one is now leaning at a 50 degree angle, ready to take out my bedroom with the next storm!  I expect it'll run me close to $1000 to have them taken down and hauled off...

Then my favorite, 16 year-old cat peed a quart of liquid on the living room carpet directly in front of me.   She is normally fastidious so this is ATYPICAL behavior. Have to take her to vet 1st thing tomorrow. Fingers crossed that she has something that can be identified (not just a mental change due to age) like a mild infection or something easily treated.  I put her in the bathroom for the night.

The carpet/rug is more than a runner, less than a room size and I had to quickly get it out of the room (with 2 other curious cats, it was important!) so now my back has been strained doing that!

:surrender:
Going to bed just to FINISH this day and start a much better one! :luck:

(edited kind of oak tree)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 03:34:41 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
Re: grumpy....bad day...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 01:10:22 PM »
Wow! I hope things will have improved tomorrow.
My sympathies.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 01:20:08 PM »
Cat at the vet... no news yet.   :luck:   She spent the night in the bathroom screaming her lungs out and pounding on the door ALL NIGHT LONG!!!  :(  Hated to do it but had to segregate her from the others and she just can not stand a shut door to ANY room other than my craft room.  She accepts that one should be closed.

2 Trees are coming down today, grind stumps, trim 2 other trees and haul all away trash....$1375 USD.   :yuck: :v8slap: :ss-shocked: :'(  Hurts.  But letting it go and allowing the house to have major damage is worse!  God was nice to me giving me a chance to get the trees out before they could hurt the house. :yes: Only the trim on the screen room was damaged. Could have been far worse!!

Unfortunately a baby possum was clinging to one of my large crepe myrtles.  His momma wasn't anywhere around.  Could be that she was up in the tree that dropped limbs...Lost track of the baby when I took photos of the rest of the yard.

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 03:29:09 PM »
:calico: Spaz news is sad, but not unexpected. She has a slight infection that we will treat.  But more importantly, she is also developing crystals in her kidneys and is showing the first signs of renal deterioration that will only worsen and lead to renal failure.  At 16 she is still active and playful, very interested in her world and sassy. The vet says she is now officially a VERY senior cat, an old lady, even if she plays, chases and wrestles with Oscar as though she is younger.  Last night she stayed at the vet so they could run more tests and my home was very somber.  Oscar was in a deep funk without his best friend and so was I.   :'(
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 09:01:31 PM »
Sami sorry to hear about your troubles.
Its hard when our pets get old and have medical problems.
I went through this for two years with our previous cat who made it to 19.
-turtle

treasure your pets   :turtleblink:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »
I have never had a cat this old.  Don't know how long I have but I know it is a slow process. Just don't know HOW slow.  We have her on antibiotics, and a change of food (to help with the crystals) and a return appt for 3 weeks from now to see if there is any change. :luck:

You'll get a kick out of this....
When I went to pick her up tonight, I had to go back into the kennel area to get her out of the cage. 
The 3 kennel aids were not allowed to pick her up!

rofl   She was hateful as sin!!!  rofl   Growling, spitting, meaner than the nastiest ferrel cat ever!    LOL
She is normally grumpy but this was WELL BEYOND that.  My boss (there to pick up one of her own cats) had tried to calm her and Spaz had none of it.  We were all laughing at her.  After a couple tries, I got her into the carrier and she continued to be nasty until I started the car. I was telling her we were going home and she would see Oscar.  Suddenly she calmed and meowed nicely!  Sudden end of temper tantrum!  She was purring when we got home and immediately after getting out of the carrier, she rubbed all over my legs then went in search of food bowls and other cats.  She was quite normal as though all the other drama had not happened.

Have had many cats, rabbits and dogs.  Spaz is one of the few that is really special. Very communicative and interested in her world. When her time comes, I will miss her greatly. Until then, I will enjoy her. No matter how old they are, we are not ready to give up good friends.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 10:33:17 PM »
Awe just popped in to say hi and read this - so sorry to hear all of it Sam and especially about Spaz.. but like you said before none of us know how long we have and we should enjoy every day of it. I hope things go well for you both for as long as possible.  :)
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 10:40:38 PM »
ps here is what I am giving Tara since her liver levels were sort of high. I haven't had her re-examined yet because she is so old taking blood can be a real testy thing but it isn't hurting her that I can detect. Just in case you might want to check it out http://www.nativeremedies.com/petalive/liver-aid-feline-canine-liver-disease-medication.html

Good luck to you and spaz :hearts:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 11:19:22 PM »
Thanks.  She seems to be back to her loveable crabby self.   :D

2 days left of antibiotic, then a couple three more weeks on the vet food and she goes back for followup tests.  They will either confirm the deterioration/decline or hopefully  :luck: they will be better than the last ones.  I know, I know....wishful thinking.  Until the next tests, I still have a glimmer of hope.  16 is too young for this cat. She deserves more!  Even if the news is no better than the last time, I still have her now and she is still enjoying life. And THAT is GREAT!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 01:55:06 PM »
NOPE. Not good news here. :'(

She definitely is not back to normal.  She's also lost some more bladder control.  I have spent the last two days cleaning, washing and throwing stuff out that she has irreparably damaged. Don't know if I got everything.  Seems this has been going on longer than I knew before from what I have found when I move furniture, etc. She does not have diabetes, but she is drinking water like she does.  At least that means her urine has been very diluted so there has been no ammonia oder that people have noticed, thank God for that. This cat has been fastidious all her life so this is a major change! 

In the past week, she has become more irritable (when a cranky cat becomes irritable it is hard to notice the change at first). She is still loving and wonderful with me but she has ripped fur from my youngest, Oscar.  He has large patches of missing fur with scabs from bites. This is new too since he adores her and she has always gotten along well with him.

I have moved her to my screen room and utility room, out of the main house now. As much as I love her, she will not be coming back in the house. Gonna take tomorrow off work to continue to work on the utility room to make it comfortable for her and safe from hazards at the same time.

My other female SI is on the porch with Spaz today.  SI LOVES it on the porch and would gladly stay out there 24/7!  Wish Spaz felt like that...unfortunately, she doesn't really like the screen porch even though she is getting nice warm days, soft pillowed furniture, corner perches to sit and watch squirrels and birds, lizards that wander the screening...cat's paradise. Spaz is more stressed out by the sounds of the neighbors. Once I get the utility room ready, it will have a cozy spot for sleeping that is quieter and "safer" for her when it rains (she hates storms) and when people mow, etc.  I want her to be as content as possible while protecting my property best that I can for as long as I continue to have her.   

If she can not control her bladder, and she continues to deteriorate, I will have to put her down and I just don't want to do that yet!   I am sitting here bawling my eyes out as I type this.  :'(  I wish I could do more for her...
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 11:26:12 PM »
Sami I am so sorry to hear this.
its so hard to make that decision.

-turtle

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 05:08:28 AM »
Sam, sometimes we have to take the decision which is the kindest to our pets, even if traumatic to us.
Rick
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 01:25:20 PM »
Rick, I have made that decision on several occasions. And though it is extremely hard to do, it has been a relief for them as much as me when the time comes.  Amazingly she knew she was doing wrong and would not come out from under her daybed (where her soft bed is) this weekend.  She goes there when she hears a storm (for safety) and when she is in the "doghouse" so to speak. She has always told on herself when she jumped on the dining table, or when she got into something she was not supposed to.  :yes: and when I would verbally scold, I would tell her to go to her room for a while and she would.  If she came out before I was ready (before something was cleaned usually if she knocked something over being a klutz), I would ask her to go back to her room.  She would.  When allowed to come out, neither of us were mad and the situation was forgiven.  She was like having a highly functioning 3 year old child. Very responsive and very curious and very caring. The most intelligent cat I have ever had. She STILL IS.

She is normally extremely fastidious. Years ago, she used to beat up another visiting cat for making inappropriate bathroom messes.  She hovered over Oscar to make sure he learned his lesson about where he should go. But lately she has peed on the bed, on carpets, shoes, between furniture, rugs, towels, in places that have damaged my new laminate flooring!  And I can no longer trust her that way.

Making  the decision to say goodbye is easier when you see mental or physical deterioration.  Or with severe loss of weight (she has gained), or pain.  Though she is slower (of course), she is still very mentally sharp!  How can you put down an animal that is mentally on her game, still hears like a bat and still sees well, while not displaying any pain or injury.  When I pet her I feel no lumps and even her fur is better since switching to the vet approved food. I don't know if what I am doing is going to extend her life or not.  She may become terrified by storms to the point that she just stresses out terribly and I have to put her down as a kindness. Just don't know. 

IF, IF, IF this gives us a few more days, weeks or even months of quality time that we can both enjoy each other then how wonderful. :D  If not, my utility room is cleaner (good) and I know that I TRIED.  That's the best I can do and she deserves my best. Some cats are cats. Some are FRIENDS.  She is a wonderful, loyal friend.  I know I will lose her. There are no illusions here.  I know the outcome.   :'(   But I want to know I did everything I could.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 11:33:14 PM »
Si has been cat sitting Spaz for days.  Tonight is Spaz's first night alone in her new environment.  Tomorrow evening I will put a radio in there with PBS on it for the talk and calming music.  She likes her throw rug (has catnip sprinkled on it and her new catnip toy.  Wouldn't let the others come near it this evening. 

Oscar is definitely out of love. He ran from her tonight to get to the other side of the screen room.  Think I will put him out there all day tomorrow while I am at work. 

Thought it would be nice if I swap out SI and OSCAR on the porch with her some days so she is not totally isolated and they get to enjoy the porch too. She is not being punished. Trying to make it as pleasant as possible for her and the others. 

-----update....next morning:   Si went running out onto the porch when I opened the door this morning so she volunteered to cat-sit Spaz today instead of Oscar.   :boogie:    I will have to watch her when she is in the house to make sure she is not adding to the problems caused by Spaz.  Oscar is young and can't smell so is not a threat in house.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 02:35:19 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
Re: Sam's ongoing cat story..... (renamed topic)
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 03:48:34 AM »
Aweee Sam! Sorry to hear things aren't getting better. I am totally convinced the new food will help after seeing the changes in my dog after switching. But I also wonder if your vet recommended dynosyl - i think thats how its spelled.  ??? You can get it on line even. It really helps kidney functions and improves the condition of the tissue  - if you want to research it or give it a try or ask your vet about it. I have Tara on it and it is making her so much more her normal self now. She doesn't drink as much water trying to purify her system etc. My friend who is a vet assistant also speaks of it highly and he has worked for many vets over the years.

Anyway, I will be thinking of you all and saying prayers for the best thing for all concerned. TC

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2007, 10:35:14 AM »
I'll look into it!  Thanks for the suggestion.
She seems to be doing fine out there.

==========================================================
SEPTEMER, 2007

Went on vacation knowing she was very weak.  Friend was taking care of her for me...
Am home again.  Will consider unpacking tomorrow.  After being around someone 24 hours a day for 7 days it feels strange to be alone with my kitties .

Here's update:

Oscar...Starved for attention, purring happppppy!   Wants to play with anything I touch....

SI... Pet me, pet me, pet me, pet me, were you gone?, pet me pet me, pet me...(same as always, and never realized I was not home, but makes a great kitty sitter.    I won't know when she loses mental sharpness as she never had it. ) 

Spaz...Thin, fragile, unsteady and very happppppy to see me.  She purred when I talked with her even before I could come close to pet her.  I cried when I pet her.  I feel her bones now on back sides and chest... Her breathing is still labored and exhausting but not worse than the past month.  Other than wobbling when she walks, she is not struggling or in pain. She's becoming dehydrated (even with 3 water bowls) and not eating much...basically running out of steam...She waited for me.  I have been so privileged to have her in my life.   

But now that I am home, I have terrible decision to make...
Do I take Spaz to the vet to put her down (SHE HATES THE VET...MAJOR STRESS), or allow her to pass at home (may be while I am sleeping or at work) naturally?   I think the latter at this point.  If she were in pain, I would immediately take her to the vet as that would be more humane but she isn't so that makes the decision harder.  Any comments???
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 05:10:10 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
    • The Slagles
spaz
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2007, 10:44:17 PM »
Any comments??????

There's no need to put her to any more stress.  I'm sure she would rather be home in familiar surroundings. If something changes and she is in pain you should consider the vet.

It's never easy to lose one of our friends.

Jim

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
spaz
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2007, 04:19:51 PM »
If she is not in pain I think she is better off at home.
-turtle

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
spaz
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2007, 05:39:11 PM »
I have spent most of the day today with her on the porch.  She is just so weak. Worn out.  She waited for me to get back, but there is a big difference between last week and this week. Just tears me apart.  Of all the pets I have ever had, she is the most special. The most responsive, most intelligent and most loving to me while being cranky to everyone else. I have some photos, but I wish I had her on video sassing back. 

Last night I studied about what to expect for her.  It is not a nice way for her to go if I allow natural progression. Turns out, she will got through too much near the end.  And that's not fair to her.  She has always been my protector, my best buddy. I can't let her go through the final hours naturally if I can help it.

I am going to see if I can arrange to have a vet come to the house to euthanize her here at home.  It's the most humane way I can treat her. I am crying as I type, big blubbering cries...
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
spaz
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2007, 09:49:01 PM »
I'm glad she made it through your time away and I hope you will be OK with what ever decision you make.

A friend of mine long ago in a similar situation did something I would consider doing. She had just lost one cat to renal failure the year before and it went very quietly in its sleep one night and she never had to see it really suffering or make that call. But the second cat, the first cat's sister was a toughie and really didn't want to leave my friend you could just tell. So she told her cat that it was OK and she would be alright and things like that and it made her feel better. But then in the end her second cat started suffering one day and she knew there was probably nothing left to do - after two other vet trips over the previous few months that bought her a little extra time. It was on a Saturday evening and only a strange emergency vet would have been available. So she took some of her sleeping pills and left over pain pills from a dental surgery and ground them all up. She took her cat to its favorite tree and sat under it with her and petted her and said goodbye, telling her cat it was OK that she didn't need to stay and suffer on her account. Then when she was ready, she fed those pills to her cat and held it in her arms while it eventually fell asleep for the last time. She was ready in every way for the burial and everything and I think she was happy with that decision. ( Well happy might not be the best word, but she was OK with it.)

I could kind of see myself doing that with Tara - maybe take her out on a boat ride or something she loves and hold her until she went on to a better place.

I don't know really what to say, it makes me so sad to think of you having to go through this Sam. Take care and God bless.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
spaz
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2007, 11:26:02 PM »
I wish I had pills like that.  I would take her in to the living room (which she hasn't seen in months) and hold her on the couch till she went to sleep... but I have nothing here like that. And I wouldn't want to botch it and just make her sick.

But the second cat, the first cat's sister was a toughie and really didn't want to leave my friend you could just tell. So she told her cat that it was OK and she would be alright and things like that and it made her feel better.

Yes...Spaz has great will and still wants to care for me even in her weak state.  She sees me crying and she places her paw on my hand like she has done for so many years in comfort and companionship.  She's no longer talking, but still mouths her responses with no sound. I have told her how important she has been, how loved she is but it is time...she can say goodbye and let go now.   

I got a photo this afternoon of her rubbing noses with Si, the kitty-sitter. It was a rare occurence in healthy times so this was a special moment! Haven't loaded it to the computer yet so I don't know the quality of the image...

I told my boss that I am going to try to hold out till thursday afternoon, if Spaz is still as she is now.  Then put her down that afternoon. She said I could take Friday.  That would allow the weekend to cry and rip out all the changes I made to the utility room for Spaz. Don't know if she will make it that long without pain, but if so, we will have a bit more time together and I won't have to sit in my fishbowl desk (no privacy) for a few days afterward. Best for me and the company. The owner of the company does not consider that ANY animal is worth crying over.  Thank God my direct boss understands.  If God sees fit, that is the plan...Spaz is after-all, a gift from Him.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
spaz
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 12:56:51 AM »
You and your kitty family are all in my prayers. I don't know if the vet has anything you can administer by yourself or not but it might be worth asking about. Anyway, take care Sam. I know how utterly tragic this must be for you.  :(

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 05:04:19 PM »
I have called two mobile vets.  Neither has called me back.  One is known to put down animals when necessary and recommended by my vet. Hoping one will call me back soon.  Will try to make arrangements for tomorrow evening or first thing Friday morning.  :'(

If I don't hear back, I will contact my vet tomorrow afternoon to see if I can take her in Friday morning. I REALLY DON"T want to do that! REALLY don't. But if that is my only choice, I will need to do it.  :'(

I have been blessed with a special animal that acted more like a 3 year old child than a cat and the house just feels very strange without her presence (she stopped vocalizing a couple weeks ago) and I miss her interaction. She does mouth meows sometimes but even that is limited last night and this morning...

Getting ready to head out to stay the evening with her. I put a cushion on the floor and sit on it to watch tv and she sits with me and purrs when I talk of certain things. Still wants to be petted and likes to be up against me. The tv sound covers much of the outdoor noises that bother her and is a normal activity which she seems to want.  Unfortunately the evening storm is coming in again and the thunder is frightening.

*** UPDATE:  The mobile vet called.  She will be here on Friday between 11 and 11:30 to give her the shot so I don't have to take Spaz to the vet clinic. I am thankful for this service. Now I am considering where I will place her...   
:calico:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 07:57:05 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2007, 09:32:54 PM »
Hi Sam, Just checking in on you and Spaz. I am glad that you have arrangements that you both will be the most comfortable with. I will be thinking of you and praying for you and Spaz.

My vet assistant friend told me once if I ever decided to cremate my pet to be sure and insist to watch them do it otherwise they put lots of them together. Just thought I would mention that in case it is something you are considering. Technically, its against the law but my mom burried her cat in her back yard. There is a way to do it that doesn't cause problems if you are interested to know.

I wish you didn't have to be thinking about these things.
TC  :(

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2007, 11:09:04 PM »
I have my pet rabbit CHUBBS buried in the back yard.  Spaz and Chubbs were best buds for 8+ years. They played together and when Chubbs became ill, Spaz would sit with her for hours, reaching in the hutch and "petting" her long floppy ears and making soft sighing sounds. It was so sad to watch. She had a hard time adjusting to the house without the rabbit.

I am in COUNTY not CITY and I know of no ordinance for the county that says I can not do it so I will be burying her in my yard too.  I told the vet my preference and she agreed with my plans and suggested I put a put a plant there too. I might plant some catnip (part of mint family) or a miniature azalea... I will not be cremating myself or my animals but do appreciate the warning about it.

Losing her is VERY difficult for me. I have never felt alone when she has been around me.
Though both are loving sweet natured gentle animals I wouldn't trade for tons of money, neither of the other two cats give me the same sense of companionship. She would great me (and everyone) at the door and I have missed that since she moved out onto the porch.

I know you guys are sick of hearing about this....Sorry to whine about it....
This thread has been a blog that has helped me to express how important she is to me and to prepare for this.
Thanks for not minding the thread...
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2007, 12:10:05 PM »
Sami I know how you feel. I have been there too many times.
The days right after are very difficult.
Try to remember the good times.

This is why I say Treasure your pets. We have them for such a short time.
-turtle

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2007, 04:43:41 PM »
We spent a lovely evening and morning together.   :hearts:

Most of the time, I was on the floor on the cushions from the chair and she was laying beside me, head on my arm and paw on/in my hand.  This is how she has always taken naps with me so it was very pleasant for both of us.  At one point this morning, I held out a camera with my other arm and took this picture.  It makes me smile because she was purring and content.

The hardest part was making the decision and worrying if it was doing the right thing or not... 
I laid down with Spaz, held her just like we had earlier. The vet did not try to find a vein, just did the shot in the abdomen (from the back) so Spaz didn't know it. Took a few minutes but it was loving, gentle and peaceful.  I hate that she is gone. And have cried off-on for hours... But at least she did not suffer and that is the most important thing.  I would highly recommend using a mobile vet like I did. 

She chose me years ago and I have been so thankful that she did.  We had some difficult times together. And her crabby grumpy persona scared some people, but with me, she was always loving and protective...my best buddy. 

Thank you for your kind words and thoughts.  Tired and sad but will be ok.
I have happy memories and some photos that will make me smile. And at some point I will look at them without crying too.   :'(
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 05:05:07 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2007, 05:12:04 PM »
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwe Sammy, That picture is so precious. Thanks for sharing it makes me feel better too. I was thinking of you last night and today.

And Turtle like you reminded me - today I treasured my pet especially.

You and Spaz are still in my thoughts and prayers Sam. TC I hope you will have peace soon.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2007, 07:54:12 PM »
SI is confused why she is back in the house, and has wandered looking for Spaz several times.

Yes.  I am very pleased with that photo.  She was so happy.
She did one of those really deep sighs and stretched her back toes.   :hearts: 
Even under a year old, she was putting her paw on my hand (back or palm).  She would even do that when I didn't feel good or if I was sad.  Besides her craggy voice and communication, I will miss that most.

I cry and cry and cry then go dry for a while only to start again.

Some people I know would say so?  She was a cat for goodness sake.  What is the big deal? 
These folks have pets but never see them for the living spirits and personalities that they have.
They never really bond with them.
They would never understand even slightly why I feel that a part of my heart is missing tonight.
She was far more than the average cat to me and I will struggle with her loss.
Knowing her age, I have tried to prepare myself for about a year mentally but you are never really ready for it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 08:03:30 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2007, 07:57:59 PM »
Thats a great photo Sami.
If you like I can put a photo of Spaz on thepetscorner memorial page.
-turtle

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2007, 10:56:26 PM »
That's lovely, thank you.  Will look to see which image I would like to use.

Well, I spent 10 hours today clearing, cleaning and reorganizing. Removed all the changes I had put in place in the utility room and screen room and both are back to normal...no more kitty hospital zone.  Still some work to be done, but that will wait until cooler weather.

Poor Si looked so confused (even more than normal ;)) when she went into the utility room and the indoor-outdoor carpet was back instead of the vinyl flooring...no more shelving with bedding, no food/water bowls and stuff...   ???  She came out and laid on the tile just looked so depressed, head on front paws, deflated.  She was never buddies with Spaz, but had been around her for more than 10 years, and spent 24/7 with her since May on the porch and I think she misses her... Spaz told her goodbye on Thursday evening and I was lucky enough to capture the moment when they rubbed noses (a RARE occurrence with these two)!

My mom told me that after she lost her kitty Silky, for months afterward she would get the sense she was just seeing her out of the corner of her eye. As though she was just rounding the corner, etc but recently she has lost that sense and misses her kitty all over again.  I don't feel or sense anything like that. Kinda wish I did...would be nice to think her spirit is still with me.  Ah well.... As long as I have photos and a memory, she IS with me.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2007, 07:15:17 AM »
for months afterward she would get the sense she was just seeing her out of the corner of her eye
I had the same feeling after we lost our 19 year old. I thought I saw something and sometimes heard something I could not identify. I would come home from work and I thought I could hear him coming to great me. It was very hard to lose my buddy.

I will PM you an address.
-turtle

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2007, 02:19:11 PM »
I have not heard or felt my best bud Spaz and that makes me sad. I wish I did.
You are lucky to have that sensation.

Not sure that animals can have a soul but if they do, I hope I am reunited with Spaz and Teufel especially. They were really special pets/friends.  I told Spaz that if there is reincarnation of pet souls, I would hope she would consider me again for companionship.  :D 
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
    • The Slagles
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2007, 08:35:22 PM »
Sam, have you heard the story of The Rainbow Bridge?

Just this side of Heaven is a place called The Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to The Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill or old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling to each other in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together........

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2007, 09:57:46 PM »
Now you made me cry again!  :'(  :hearts: :'( That is such a nice story.  Thank you for sharing it.

I have very strong belief in souls and an after life, for humans.  But unfortunately, I have never read anything in the bible that says our companion animals will join us. I would really like to believe they will. They make life so interesting, entertaining, cause worry and joy and help to support us along the way. Course there are things that may not be specifically written but are implied, or not addressed and yet so.  That is my hope.

Gracious, many doctors believe that dogs and cats that are used for visiting nursing homes and long-term care facilities actually help to extend and better the lives of those residents. Makes sense...something to look forward to and the pets accept the residents unconditionally, despite the wheelchair, poor speech, lack of coordination...

Maybe when we pass, it just won't matter to us anymore. 
Or maybe Spaz will find me at the rainbow bridge. I would like it to be the latter. :wanda:    :calico:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2007, 10:37:07 PM »
Sammy, I just wanted to mention that in the bible it says in heaven, the lion lays down with the lamb and there are other references I believe but that one I am sure of.

Umm -  if there aren't any pets in heaven, just how good could it be? I believe that every thing from God goes back to God and that what ever life force energy is - like all other energy it never dies - it simply transforms.

TC
 :hearts:

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
  • Just 'aving a look
    • Genealogical Branchlines
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2007, 04:34:16 AM »
Some people I know would say so?  She was a cat for goodness sake.  What is the big deal? 
These folks have pets but never see them for the living spirits and personalities that they have.
They never really bond with them.
They would never understand even slightly why I feel that a part of my heart is missing tonight.
She was far more than the average cat to me and I will struggle with her loss.
Knowing her age, I have tried to prepare myself for about a year mentally but you are never really ready for it.
What some people can't understand is that our pets are really part of the family.  I'm sure that my Jet considers my wife Margaret as her mum and me as her dad.  Well, she has no one else in life.  So it really is like losing a member of the family, isn't it.

I'll post more about Jet another time (When I find time to write it). :tinycatblack:
OldTimer Still playing trains in my retirement. :hapscream:
www.genealogicalbranchlines.com
www.kilmersdon-radstock.org.uk

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
    • Rockn' V Southestern Ranch
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2008, 11:58:43 PM »
I've  :'( right along with y'all. I know it's been quite a while, since the last post was made here, but after readin' the heartaches you've gone through with Spaz, I just wanted you to know "we care". We certainly feel your sorrow!! My husband and I love our "furry family members" and THEY ARE FAMILY!! We've lost some "furry family members" and we still miss them today. They loved so unconditionally!! Knowin' we'll be reunited once again near the Ranbow Bridge" is much comfort to us. May the Good Lord Bless You Samrc!!
Happy Trails Forever,
~Buffalo Gal~

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2008, 12:02:01 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.  I still feel a tremendous sadness about my buddy. Had lots of pets.  She was unique. She was special.  In so many ways, she was a remarkable pet. And 16 years with her...  :'(

I have two other cats and their behavior is quite different these days. 
Oscar is lonely. No one to play with.  Becoming very skittish/scared of his shadow.  Needs a playmate to wrestle with. But I am not ready.

The older one, SI, (that was my "kitty sitter" staying with Spaz on the porch last summer) now sits in the living room and YOWLS.  She runs out on the porch (normal) but as soon as I open the utility room door, she flies past me to get in (not normal) then leaves the room and YOWLS.  This is the room where they slept last summer.  I think she may be looking for or calling for Spaz.  They were long-time roommates but not friendly. Spaz chased her and harassed her for most of those years. That last three months, Spaz stopped bothering her and would actually try to be nice to her.  Even the day before I put her down, she seemed to try to make peace with SI by rubbing noses but SI did not trust her.....

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2008, 09:47:25 PM »
(((((((((((((((((Sammy)))))))))))))))))))

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2008, 08:51:40 PM »
Well... Spaz's long-term companion (and kitty-sitter) SI has been diagnosed with renal failure too. :'( :'( :'( 
You can see her with Spaz in the picture above. (Si on left, Spaz on right).

She woke me up one day this week SCREAMING to high heaven.  I came running out of the bedroom and found her in the living room.  She was trying to pee...step forward, 2 drops, step forward, 2 drops, etc. Normally fastidious, this was VERY unusual.  I thought she had a kidney stone that she was trying to pass...painful and temporary.  But I was wrong.  Took her to the vet that morning and didn't get definitive test results back until Friday evening.  Been crying for days.

Si is 13, sweet and loving and tiny.  At the most, she got to 7.5 pounds. Over the last year she has developed a LOUD voice (because of the Siamese in her) but the 12 years before that she was so silent and shy!  Can't pet this kitty the wrong way with your hand or your foot!  She loves to lay on your belly and be petted. She will really STARE at you when you talk to her. She does not understand anything, no vocabulary like Spaz had but she really TRIES. And she's surprised when you don't understand her!  Have a lovely little video of her washing Oscar.  She doted on him.  Lots of photos with her, Oscar and Spaz on the couch together. For a short time, I had a very harmonious house.

Oscar has gotten used to being alone in the house because the ladies spent the summer on the screen porch last year. But is a social cat, wanting to play. He's too young to be alone all the time. Once Spaz was gone, Si came in at night but WANTED to be outside most days. She is back out on the porch all the time now. She sleeps on comfy furniture, is safe from other critters, and loves the warmth.  For years, she has slept in the same place on my bed at night. Oscar is now coming in the bedroom at night. I will have a repeat of last summer.  At some point, I will put this sweet little kitty that was Spaz's long-term companion down.  Too soon!  She's down to 6.8 pounds and VERY thin. Drinking fine but not eating much.  She does like her PUMPKIN so I make sure she gets it!  That and holding her are her two joys so I will give her what I can while I can.

She is lively, bright eyed, interested and no longer in pain because of the meds. So that's a good thing.  She's on antibiotics for a while and hopefully that will give us a bit more GOOD time together. :luck:

My boss Jan has a cat she thinks will make a good companion for Oscar.  A 5-6 year old male, Sluggo, fixed, no front claws, orange and white former outdoor fighter, turned indoor lover.  Biggest of the 7 cats, he is the least aggressive, playful and nice. Gets along great with another ex-outdoor fighter she has but that one is WAY too  aggressive to be considered for an Oscar playmate.  Once Si passes, I may consider bringing Sluggo over for introduction.  Not for me, but for Oscar.  Oscar is my joy and I want to make sure he has as good a life as I can give him, including someone to chase and play with (as he did with the girls!) without getting hurt.

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2008, 09:30:37 PM »
Oh Sammy - I am truly so sorry to hear of this.  :'( You and your kitty family are in my prayers. ((((((((((((((((((Sammy)))))))))))))))))))))

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2008, 09:17:59 AM »
2 weeks on antibiotics....she's at the vet for more testing.

Some good news:
- she stopped drinking water like it's going out of style.
- she stopped eating her GOOD dry food, went on a hunger strike and now will only eat Fancy Feast wet food which she eats with more gusto than she has shown in years.
- she has gained 4 ounces!

Her skin is slack, hanging from her body so she is a bit dehydrated but overall, she has gotten good results today SO FAR.   :luck:  Hoping the kidney numbers will come back better this time.  Buy us a bit more time!   :luck:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2008, 04:42:32 AM »
yay! I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers..

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »
She continues on antibiotics... 
Si's results showed no more blood in the urine, but to make sure the infection is not in kidney, we are keeping 4-8 weeks of antibiotics.  Her numbers were still way to high, showing renal failure/decline.

She is not in pain, is eating like a HORSE now (all Fancy Feast wet food-refuses to eat dry food now) and actually gained 4 ounces!   :boogie:

I know the truth.  Fact is that we are just buying a bit more time.  This will not cure her. Only allow us to have some more quality time together.  She lives on the screen porch, has several perches to sleep on (watch birds and squirrels, lizards), sleeps on sheet covered soft chairs, is happy there (LOVES THE INTENSE HEAT of the daytime).  When she wants to, she com in for a while in the evening to watch some TV with me on some nights.  I have a CAT DOOR on my sliding glass door which allows for in/out movement while blocking air conditioning loss.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2008, 06:53:18 PM »
aweee -- I am glad to hear there is no pain involved! I know how you feel. I realize buying time is all we can do for our older pets who have problems. I think the good food will help as I found Tara was getting skinny and listless until I put her on a yummy food.. she eats certain Merill canned foods now and that is all. I just hope the time you buy will be quality time. My prayers are with you. :)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2008, 07:53:54 PM »
The food she is getting is soft and tasty.  This food is not good for her kidneys, and may make her deteriorate faster than the prescription food.
BUT....if you can't get an animal to EAT the "better" food and she gets weaker from lack of food, that is not worth it.  At least I have found something that she WILL eat, and with gusto! Might as well see her ENJOY something for a while. And we ARE having a nice time together for a while.

(Personally I will gladly trade a few yucky years off the end of my life if I can enjoy it a bit more NOW.  :D
So far, that means I am heavier than I should be, but my heart, lungs, cholesterol, etc are still doing fine, while I enjoy cooking/eating real BUTTER and potatos in any way possible!  Life is too short to constantly say NO to everything that could be bad for you.)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 07:59:04 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2008, 07:37:40 PM »
Enjoy life today, yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come :)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2008, 07:44:18 PM »
AGREED Wanda!

Si has been on antibiotics for 6 weeks.  Thin, but happy.  Not healthy but the antibiotics have kept her from deteriorating too quickly.   :boogie: 
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2008, 11:14:30 PM »
Glad to hear it :-)