Author Topic: MS Expression Web - Sami's notes and comments  (Read 8530 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
MS Expression Web - Sami's notes and comments
« on: February 19, 2008, 08:17:19 PM »
Well... this thread will take quite some time to build.  I am JUST BEGINNING to comment on it.

The program is interesting. Very different than CSB or other HTML generators. 
And seems more intuitive than HTML editors that I have used.

The program is impressive.  Could never say that about Front Page!
And it loads in CSB built pages (without frames) quite nicely.  They are fun to play with in this program.
Loads of built-in features.
Many of the advanced features are designed to work only on a Windows server.

But definitely had problems with the Publishing issues. And these were equally unimpressive.
Microsoft did not make setting up publishing easy!!!
- FTP userid/password is not remembered (discussion groups are trying to get this added, but I can not understand why MS would release a program that does not offer this option via a check box in the publishing options!!!)
- MODE.  You will not believe this!  Again, it is not available in the publishing options!!!  Get this: You must go into your INTERNET EXPLORER, Tools, Internet Options, Advanced Tab and check/uncheck USE PASSIVE FTP!  And if you have several sites, how would you remember the setting that is best for each host/site????
- _vti folders  folders are still used for some things.  These are FRONT PAGE EXTENSIONS folders   :yuck: 

Publishing/FTP features in Expression Web seem to be an afterthought. Very poor interface for this compared to our old standby CSB.  Don't know why they could not have a simple host setup screen like ours...fill in the blank and done.

So... right now, I have no good or bad rating for this program.  Let me work through some tutorials and compare some features to CSB and see how it comes out.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 11:07:41 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
    • 'a la carte' PR
Re: MS Expression Web - Sami's notes and comments
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 04:32:08 PM »
Hi Samantha.. have you made the move to Expression Web or still noodling on it?
I am about to make a move.
Having looked over a half-dozen replacements for CSB I am inclined toward Expression Web.
Ever cautious, I am casting about for last minute comments before I take the 300$ plunge..

Regards..
..Styx
Regards..
..Styx

Parkinson's Third Law:
Expansion means complexity and complexity decays.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 09:05:11 AM »
I have worked a bit with it but not enough.
I have gone through tutorials and made my own pages.  But some things I take for granted in CSB are more difficult to do in EW.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 12:22:47 PM »
Hi Styx,

If you do take the plunge, I would love to hear your impressions as I use FrontPage as well as CSB.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 02:45:04 PM »
I did not like Frontpage. Used it for 2 minutes.  ;)
Didn't like that fact that MS expected hosts to create special folders just to host the webpages built with FP.

I do not have the aversion to Expression Web.
In fact I give EW a passing mark for usability and compatibility.
You can even load in a CSB build page (published without borders) and edit.

The program assumes you have a Windows Server.  And if you are on a windows server, you do have more options/abilities with EW.  But I prefer a Linux server for the httaccess abilities.

I do use FRAMES for some pages/subdirectories. And EW seems to have dismissed them.  Still working on it though....Have not had much time to really delve in.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 10:23:56 AM »
Updated my Expression Web to version 3 download only (discount sale for upgrades caught on very last day).  Will get it installed and see if I like it as well as original, and if my complaints about the original have been resolved.  I have high hopes!!!

UPDATE:  YES.  I have put this onto a Windows 7 system. It imports CSB pages (not built with frames) rather easily. Pages CAN BE edited fairly easily.  I often use this program as an HTML editor.  I prefer it to Adobe's Dreamweaver by far!  I don't usually use this to build pages.

I use and recommend Xara's Web Designer Premium or Xara's Designer Pro (fully loaded web and graph) programs more often than any others for building new pages. I use photo programs so the interface is similar and comfortable.  The program is more similar to CSB than any other I have found.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 04:00:44 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha