General Category > General Discussion

backup software

(1/14) > >>

Tony:
Following this issue, I made a new backup copy of C: drive using Comodo Backups.
Rick, I think that I need help on how to use this software…  :unsure: I understood that you use this program for your backups.

They recommend, after making a first full backup,  to make a daily Incremental backup, then a weekly differential backup and finally a monthly full backup.
After making my first full C: partition backup I got this file, copied into a “Backup” named folder in drive E: (I have three hard disk and decided to use E: only for backups): Partition_C_full_part.cbu (23.7 Gb after +/- 40 minutes)
Yesterday, I programmed an automatic daily incremental backup to be run at 10:00 p.m. every day.

Well, the first problem was that it didn’t start automatically at the prefixed time, but only when I opened Comodo to see if it had being done, getting the message “programmed backup didn’t start, would you like to run it now?” or something like that…  I said Yes and it started, but… it took the same amount of time that the full backup to give me this new file: Disk_0_inc_disk.cbu  AND the same space on disk, well, MORE space: 24.6 Gb and +/- SAME process time.

I can see that the first full was "Partition_C..." and the second inc "Disk_0..." is this the problem? I'm confused... :unsure: :( :-[
If I keep making  daily incremental backups this way, I would need a HUGE hard disk to store a single month of backups. I know that I’m doing something wrong, but I couldn’t get the answers from the program’s Help. May be it’s all there, but I couldn’t understand how to do it.

Hope I explained myself
Any help?
Could you explain me how does it work?  click by click   :-[ :-[

rickasaurus:
Tony, I know exactly what you mean! Especially the latest release of this software is much more difficult to configure. I think they try to do too much.

All I have done at this stage, is an incremental backup of selected folders and files which contain critical data I don't want to lose, such as my entire music collection, for example, as well as important documentation and so on. I have not done system backup, because I think if I have a crash, I will just reinstall Windows, and then I can restore all the backed-up data. I do the backup only once a week. It seems to work well, as long as there is enough disk space on the backup media.

I suggest you get some familiarity with the software, by setting up a simple trial backup, just a few files or folders, and try out the differences between full backup, incremental and differential backup.

But you should not be accumulating backups. Even a full backup will replace the previous one if the same file path is specified.

Sorry I don't have time to do a full click by click explanation at the moment, but if you are still stuck after doing a few really simple backup trials, let me know.

Samrc:
I looked at the software before downloading and decided against it.  The info just seemed to confusing...
It is written by people that KNOW the software but can not EXPLAIN it.
 :banghead:

Tony:
OK, thanks Ricks.
I thought that it was a matter of three or four clicks, as they claim on their introduction.
I'll follow your suggestion.

Thank you too Sami, it is good to know that their procedures are really a little confusing.

Samrc:

--- Quote --- I will just reinstall Windows, and then I can restore all the backed-up data. I do the backup only once a week.
--- End quote ---
This has been my preference.  Also recommend a backup before MAJOR changes to machine.
Unless the backup destination is the SAME as the original drive, a mirror is not a good thing.
It takes longer to reinstall everything but I think it is better because you can choose what to install/avoid during the rebuild.

I have a 2tb internal drive put into an external dock as my backup drive.  (blacX doc for usb/esata allows me to plug most SATA drives in and read/write to them. I can take the old drives and recover data from them using this dock.  And its portable..plug the dock and drive into any computer with usb2 or esata for best speed.)
I use a few usb mini drives (freeagent go) to handle my old time radio, pictures, games, etc that I do not want on my main hard drive. They are backed up to the big drive too so if one fails, I do not lose data.
Used to use Retrospect to backup main drive. But won't work on win7.
Looking at new backup options for LOCAL backup. Don't want to send my data to the cloud.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version