Author Topic: BACKGROUND IMAGE - CHALLENGE  (Read 14639 times)

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
BACKGROUND IMAGE - CHALLENGE
« on: April 04, 2007, 07:44:28 PM »
I will have to get photos of Oscar the gray before warm weather make him lose his winter coat.
It might make a good background.
He has the most unusual coat of gray and silver with a tiny bit of white and black.
Right now he looks like a moving dust mop with his fur puffed out and hanging down.
To cool off he lays in the water dish  :v8slap:
-turtle

treasure your pets   :turtleblink:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 08:04:45 PM »
ETA: Back on the subject of the previous paragraph, another of the collections I've been saving has 100 backgrounds all made from one photo of the flame on a gas stove burner. Gorgeous colors (not my own photo)! When I put that collection on the site, I'll have to add the original photo.

Please do.  Love to see the inspiration behind the work...

FYI: Cat hair would work great for images, but not hair balls!  :yuck:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 09:23:26 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 07:28:40 PM »
Not sure if his fur will make much of a background

Anyway I put 3 new photos of my kiddes on the Don and Amy Page,
Oscar standing up on the bed so you can see the winter coat sticking out
and him resting on the water dish and Cali Girl in her window.
Thepetscorner.com
-turtle

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 03:48:54 PM »
Not sure if his fur will make much of a background

That was an invitation, right, turtle? ;) Or maybe a challenge?  You can see some results here. I was just getting warmed up -- but had to stop somewhere. :D

BTW, Houdini is well into her shedding, and now has a tortoise-shell front bib and ruff instead of being completely black. I don't have any pictures of it, I'm afraid. :catsmilie:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 04:48:57 PM »
AMAZING!  The lady is SERIOUSLY talented!   :clapping: :clapping:
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 05:40:41 PM »
That is so cool!    Who would ever think??    And such Cute Kitty Pictures too :-)
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: BACKGROUND IMAGE - CHALLENGE
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 08:33:14 PM »
Ok.... Trudy made wonderful backgrounds from the clump of hair.

I thought I would go in a DIFFERENT direction.
I made a series of more traditional backgrounds with less pattern and monocromatic tones directly caused by brightness/contrast adjustments.

The fur was a great starting place for interesting results, even from the lower spectrum of backgrounds.
Fun Challenge.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 09:45:01 PM »
"Cute kitty pictures" huh? Wanda, remind me to have you around if I need to hack into a website. 8) You got into the pages that aren't linked to any others on the site, that I use for publishing pics I want to link to from elsewhere on the web. I assume you tried typing in different id numbers?  Or did you find the little "Easter egg" I have on the main "What's New" page so I can get to the others myself? LOL They are all in that same "New" subdirectory, because it publishes quickly when I want to add something.

I made a series of more traditional backgrounds...
I do tend to get carried away. When looking at some of the sites in freepims list, I found one called "wackybackgrounds" - something of a soulmate. :P  I think it's because I've never been able to "do" art. When I discovered tile-making, and other things I've done with Paint Shop, I was so excited about actually being able to make something pretty!

Even my Photo Shopping is pretty limited: I hardly ever use layers (that image with the gloves is beyond me) and can't make anything "from scratch." But I enjoy playing around with it.

...with less pattern and monocromatic tones directly caused by brightness/contrast adjustments.
That's one thing I like about "gray" - it's very seldom gray. Except for the one blue-green tile, I didn't alter Oscar's hair color at all - just enhanced the color that was already there.

Among Samantha's, I especially like the leather and the #10 contour. I've never gotten the leather effect to look so much like leather - maybe I need to try using it on cat hair.  :)

-------

Off topic, but regarding turtle's remark about Oscar cooling off in the water dish -- Houdini has hardly used her water dish since she learned how to jump onto the vanity in the bathroom and catch the drips coming out of the faucet. I suppose it's more fun. Tonight she jumped up onto the kitchen counter and stood staring at the faucet, as if she was wondering where the drips were. I kind of hate to get the bathroom faucet fixed. :D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 09:58:21 PM by tgshaw »

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 10:30:24 PM »
TG I think I just clicked your home page and hit Don and Amy and there they were at the bottom of the page... am I wrong?? I am good at finding things though & this was in the midst of an intensive searchperiod  I was doing today for about a dozen different subjects - maybe I was just in the mode lol

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 10:34:34 PM »
oh and cool backgrounds Sam! lol The source still really amuses me!  :calico: I wish I had time to play -- maybe some time soon - TAXES and a Flu have me tied up at the moment - oh and an injured dog and some other deadlines and getting ready for EAster and        ............

well maybe soon  LOL

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 02:01:31 AM »
That's one thing I like about "gray" - it's very seldom gray. Except for the one blue-green tile, I didn't alter Oscar's hair color at all - just enhanced the color that was already there.
:yes:  I ran into some wild stuff with vivid colors with contours and enameling especially.  But some of the other settings would also take me into very colorful tangents. Since you took that road, I decided to keep with my original thought..monochromatic.... For me, it was actually harder (more of a challenge) to stay on target with that theme than to go where the random settings took me. I was tempted a few times to go with the wonderful color combos that were being created, or to recolor a couple of the items I ended up with (like the leather piece) to give it a green or purple hue ... :D 

"Cute kitty pictures" huh? Wanda, remind me to have you around if I need to hack into a website.  You got into the pages that aren't linked to any others on the site, that I use for publishing pics I want to link to from elsewhere on the web.

So funny how we interpret things differently! :calico:
- She did not hack your site or sneak in through a hidden egg like YOU thought!   rofl 
- When she said "Cute kitty pictures" I though she was refering to the fact that you had made interesting backgrounds from "kitty" fur. 
- In actuality, Wanda went to Turtle's site (thepetscorner.com) to see the images he posted and told us about in the post with the fur sample.   rofl   

Turtle, your Oscar has a lovely coat!  Do you have to brush him to keep it from getting matted?

My favorites of yours are #3 and #7. The swirl on #7 looks like it contains gold dust.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 02:09:14 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 04:53:38 AM »
So funny how we interpret things differently! :calico:
- She did not hack your site or sneak in through a hidden egg like YOU thought!   rofl 
- When she said "Cute kitty pictures" I though she was refering to the fact that you had made interesting backgrounds from "kitty" fur. 
- In actuality, Wanda went to Turtle's site (thepetscorner.com) to see the images he posted and told us about in the post with the fur sample.   rofl 
I just woke up (at about 3:30 am) and that realization came into my head. :v8slap: Thought maybe I could change my post before anyone saw it - no luck there. :-[ Now my little one is wondering why I didn't just come back to bed after hitting the bathroom.

I think I'm still having the same problem (well, it is about 3:30 am). When I read this:
Turtle, your Oscar has a lovely coat!  Do you have to brush him to keep it from getting matted?

My favorites of yours are #3 and #7. The swirl on #7 looks like it contains gold dust.
...my first thought was, "Oh, turtle made some backgrounds, too? Where are they?" :D

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 10:20:14 AM »
rofl   Yes...I am afraid I was not clear in my post at 2am this morning.... what I TRIED to say was....

TURTLE posted a link to his site to see ACTUAL updated pictures of his kitties.  Look for the DON and AMY link on the left side of his home page (just past the entry page).  At the bottom of hte Don and Amy page are a few NEW shots of his OSCAR and Cali Girl, including one with Oscar laying in his water bowl.

"My favorites of TRUDY'S shots yours are #3 and #7. The swirl on #7 looks like it contains gold dust."  rofl

Can we get more muddled?  lol
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 03:06:14 PM »
Oh my gosh lol -- sorry for the confusion - I seem to be in a bit of a head cloud lately between things gong on and feeling ill -- next time if I answer two posts in one - I will be sure to address who each part of the message is to. I should have but it didn't occur to me it could be misunderstood.

This reminds me of my recent post at Cute where I thought a member was referring to the buttons in his site rather than the buttons in his program  :-[.

I felt kinda special there for a while thinking I might have undiscovered hacking skills -  >:D I was considering applying for a job with the CIA  rofl

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 05:41:51 PM »
Ok you know I can't resist a challenge --- I tend to like plainer backgrounds - so I went for some basics     

http://inspirationmotivation.com/for_fun.htm

Sam I have a request, no more challenges until afte April 15 please!!!!!!   :P  LOL

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2007, 10:50:54 PM »
Very nice.  The green one might be a nice background for this forum at some point....

Ok...I won't post any more challenges until then...But that doesn't mean that Trudy or someone ELSE won't. >:D
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007, 11:33:15 PM »
Wait come to think of it ----- you didn't really start this one did you? As our fearless leader you get blamed for everything...  :D

Thanks and you know I am always happy to share if you want to use it.  :D

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2007, 11:36:10 PM »
Wow I am off sick for a day and you all go crazy  :clapping:

I like the backgrounds, but I am thinking that I have no imagination now after seeing them  :-[
You have given me some ideas, so thanks.

Yes Sami Oscar has to be brushed every day and even then he still matts up and we have to cut the matts out.
I can't wait for warm weather and he sheds all that fur.
The difference is a amazing.

The photo of him on the bed was right afre being brushed.
And hour later he looked like he stuck his paw in a light socket  :v8slap:
-turtle

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2007, 10:30:43 AM »
I had one long-haired cat. A RAGDOLL (white with spots and racoon eyes like the first one on the page) that we got from a shelter.  Loving, athletic, very playful and comical, this one had fluffy fur that I dreaded.  Never seen anything like it!  Once a week I would comb her to look for mats and she LOVED the attention. But she never matted! Her fur was luxurious. So silky!

My neighbor's long-haired cat was always matted.  They combed every night and still had to clip sometimes.

[Unfortunately my raggy was crazy...to much inbreeding. About 3.5 years old she started to show problems. She would wig out and become scared of her own shadow and anything/anyone around her quaking in terror. Then she would snap back and be fine for a while. At first the episodes lasted just minutes a week, but eventually they were more than half her life.  A couple vets determined it as mental imbalance...could do NOTHING to help her. By the time I let her go, she had no quality of life, could not even move out of a 2ft by 2ft space on her own, could not be picked up, could not be comforted in any way because she did not recognize favorite food, people, toys...It was so sad to see such a fun little life just turn off...]
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2007, 05:38:49 PM »
Turtle - you unimaginative????????????????  rofl I don't think you have to worry about that...  :noshake:

I think it is really neat to see the differant types of things each of us came up with from a patch of hair.

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2007, 09:39:17 AM »
Ooohhh, I have a lovely challenge I could post, but for Wanda's sake I'll wait until after April 15 - Those of us who file the 1040EZ salute you ;).

So sad about your kitty, Samantha.

Houdini had never been brushed when I got her and she doesn't need it now, but she does enjoy the attention. Her coat is even silkier with her winter layer shed.

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 11:19:42 PM »
1040EZ? If only my life were so simple!  LOL Tomorrow is my last day - I was just kidding about the challenges- don't let me hold you up - Challenge away! - I can't wait to see what you've come up with  :idea:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007, 08:33:42 AM »
I've got to do my taxes too, dreading it this year.  Have been sorting thru papers for days.  Still haven't found last year's return (part of the paperwork that was thrown all around my home during the breakin). 

Don't tempt me to play...oh ok....tempt me....post your challenge!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 12:19:26 PM »
Good Luck Sami, I just now finished mine.  :clapping:  :kickdancing:  :boogie: Of course my desk looks like a hurricane went through here and now I have day of filing - since when I do taxes is also when I archive several related files  - plus the end of the year things I never did...  :-[

DOESN'T THAT SOUND LIKE FUN???  rofl Weeeeeeeee! YEAH! Let the good times roll!

Taxes and filing? Now there's some challenges I could live without. 
[/i]

I'm sorry you have to think about and deal with what happened during the break in to add to your already testy task Sam. I hope it will work out OK.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2007, 03:20:04 PM »
Good Gracious! Don't feel sorry for me!  The breakin could have been so so so much worse! (Whew!)  It just makes it more time-consuming to do paperwork when I had things organized and they aren't anymore.

I had minor damage to the house itself (just where they broke in).  What I dealt with at that time was loss and fear and security issues. Took weeks to re-wash, dry clean clothes that were emptied from closets, trampled and strewn about. The police got fingerprint dust on most during the investigation (they tried not to but it is so light it carries). The file cabinet and other storage areas full of properly filed and stored papers, checks, agreements, certificates, licences, mortgage, insurances, etc were dumped and spread through multiple rooms. I did not have the mindset to re-sort, refile and restore the piles and piles of paperwork. I scooped papers up, put them in bags and boxes and stacked them in one room for reference. I have endeavored to sort and file again, but each time I do, it is so depressing to me that I end up stopping after only a few minutes :-[ . I can deal with a lot of things but this has really been an unexpected stumbling block. So I have chosen NOT to deal with it unless I must!  I have chosen to do other things with my time. (Wimpy Wimpy Wimpy)  :D
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2007, 07:22:05 PM »
If only my life were so simple!

Hey, if you really want it, all you have to do is:

-- not have any dependents

-- not own a house or other real estate

-- not make too much money

-- not have any income that can't be reported on a W-2 or 1099

-- not have high enough deductions to itemize them.

Strange how with such a simple life I still can't manage to keep up with things. Imagine what it'd be like if I tried to live a normal life! :o

I'm working late tonight because I was home sick yesterday. I can try to post the challenge later. Anyone at all familiar with my sense of humor can probably guess what the original plan was (let's just say Houdini was very cooperative :yuck:). But I think I'll just post my own results from that one and give a good challenge here ;) . I do have one in mind from my Oxford photos - an interesting piece of history but a very "bland" texture and color.

...I did say I was working late, didn't I :P? I'll drop in again after I get home.

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007, 08:08:08 PM »
Sam, I don't think anyone would ever accuse YOU of being wimpy!  :noshake: You've done great at moving on back to the positive side of life and that takes strength. If avoiding going through those things helped you move forward then it was probably the right thing to do at the time.

TG ahahahaha          was it the fur ball challenge? thats too funny! I would do it just to say I did lol But I am sure what ever you come up with we will enjoy it.

I hope you are feeling better I have had the flu for a while now but yesterday seemed to be the turning point finally! There is some nasty stuff going around.