Author Topic: Gallery Building  (Read 4549 times)

Offline hidden

• Restricted
Gallery Building
« on: November 08, 2008, 07:03:52 PM »
I've been trying to build a filmstrip type gallery but get told that the address of the container page cannot be found. I'm using CSB5 and everything goes as per your description otherwise.
In addition, I am confused at your description "container pages" as I don't know if it is possible to selectively show the map on different pages. Can one make a page which is just an image? I originally tried to build an "i frame" gallery but found that I got the map repeated in the frame.

If you're interested, my site is http://paostanigar.com

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Gallery Building
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 12:43:53 AM »
Little post, but you touched on MANY topics.  I will try to sort them out the best I can for you. 

First, let me offer something that will save you time and effort.
I have step by step instructions and samples for building galleries on this page of samisite.  http://www.samisite.com/photo/id88.htm
You can even download a free pre-built file that is ready for you to load with pictures!
Just tweak colors, add your pictures and links. Or download the file to just LOOK at the way it is constructed to get ideas for your own website.  DO NOT publish the map with this style gallery.  Each large image gets its own page (1.htm, 2.htm, etc) OR you can put a group of images on a single page, while the home page of the design file has a table of thumbnails. ONLY THE CENTER of the page reloads when you click a linked thumbnail. Take a look and see if you can work with it.  Beth has some very nice examples of this type of gallery. Check them out here.  Each gallery is in its own subdirectory (look at your address bar when you visit the pages).

I don't know if it is possible to selectively show the map on different pages ....  Can one make a page which is just an image?
All pages that are in that tlx design file will publish the same, either all WITH or all WITHOUT the map. You can not tell individual pages to not have the map when they are all in the same file. 

HOWEVER... there is a simple solution to this!

If you would like to have an area of your site that does NOT show the map, simply create a NEW tlx design file with only the pages you want to publish without the map.  Then publish these (without the sitemap check mark in publishing options) to a SUBDIRECTORY of your website.  That's what I did for my galleries I mentioned above. Examples:
h**p://paostanigar.com/gallery1
h**p://paostanigar.com/gallery2  etc

The same thing applies for frames in general.  You are currently publishing WITH FRAMES. Meaning that your borders become fixed sides of your webpage and the middle part of the page body scrolls separately.  (Read more about frames here)
You can have a part of the website use frames, and another part of it NOT use frames.  Use another tlx design file for those pages and publish to another subdirectory.

Samisite.com is built that way. Some areas of the site use frames.  Some do not.  On purpose.
(You can read about subdirectories here.)

IFRAMES....  and IFRAME GALLERIES are different.
am confused at your description "container pages"

Well this is confusing to many people. You are not alone.

Basically an iframe is made up of 2 kinds of pages.
1) the page with the iframe code (cuts a window in the webpage so you can see another webpage through it).  There is ONE of this type of page.
2) the content page.   There are several of these. Generally speaking they are plain pages with no borders, no menus, no maps, nothing that can interfere with what you are trying to present inside the iframe.  If you want to see images in the iframe, then the pages should only have images on them (sometimes with titles). One of these pages is your starting point for the iframe. The others only appear when you click a link to change the content.

In YOUR situation, it is more confusing than normal because you are publishing your map as your main site navigation. That will DEFINITELY interfere with your iframe content pages!!

SO in YOUR case, if you want to use iframe for your gallery, you just make sure you put those content pages into a separate area of your website, where you can take off the map and the borders!

- Make a NEW design file that has all plain pages, one large image on each page.  Or if you have more than one photo, put them vertically on a page so they will scroll inside the iframe nicely.
  Make sure there are No Borders on any page of this file. These will become your iframe "CONTENT PAGES".  When you publish, make sure you do NOT publish the map. In publishing options, you will need to do 2 things:
1) UNCHECK the box for the map AND
2) put in a name for your subdirectory. You can name the directory anything. I would probably call it iframeimages if thats all that will be in it.
Publish the new design file.

Then follow all the rest of the instructions for making an iframe gallery like normal.

- Put your IFRAME window on some page of your website
<iframe name="FRAME1" src="contentpage.htm" width="100" height="280" frameborder="1" scrolling="yes" allowautotransparency=true></iframe>
- Surround it with tiny thumbnails.
- Link those thumbnails to pages that are in your new subdirectory, setting them to open in FRAME1.  Ex:
h**p://paostanigar.com/iframeimages/thephoenix.htm
h**p://paostanigar.com/iframeimages/theicd.htm

I am confused at your description "container pages"

Container pages are a CSB special feature, NOT an IFRAME feature.
According to the CSB manuals, container pages hold "captured resources".
All that means is that you can use CSB to upload stuff to your website for you.
You can load a bunch of images, downloadable pdf files, sounds, even web pages made with other software into one of these special pages and when you publish, CSB will send them to your website for you.

So what can you do with container pages? 
Gracious... TONS of things but here are two specific examples that are totally different.
1) Some people use them to load an html page made in other software (pedigree, family tree, photo layouts, ets).  KW has a great description of this use of container pages.

2) Some people use them as a big old filing cabinet, with no web pages in it at all, only images.  You will find info on this page if you are interested.

I hope I was able to break your question into parts that make more sense. Please do let me know.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 09:47:16 AM »
Thanks for a great answer.
I will try to work it all out especially as your explanation has given me some more ideas as to what I should try to do.
I unfortunately misled you be using the term"container" rather than "content" page in my question. It was good fortune as I found your explanation of Container Pages very interesting.
I'll let you know how it goes, but thanks again.
Patrick

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 04:38:51 PM »
Not a problem.  I gathered you meant "content".  Others have confused "container" with "content" too!  :yes:

If you post an iframe and can not get it to work, let use know the page and we will check to see what is going on for you!

But I think you should first give the GALLERY style subdirectory a try.
It is easier since it is pre-built for you, you can add as many pages as you want into the gallery. 
It was designed for a single picture to load into the center, but there is no rule about that. You can have the center scroll to show several images.

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 04:34:11 PM »
I did it! I did it!javascript:void(0);
Click the last linked image on my guide to gallery page http://paostanigar.com/guide_to_gallery.htm
Had to insert my little important links flag to get me back to the original Gallery though.
Do you recommend some easier way?
I think this style will work and is the best way to build what will be a very extensive gallery but I'll refine it before all that work. It might be better if I could jump directly from one gallery to the other without going back home but I figure that I would need the side border back again and I eliminated it as redundant in most cases. Any ideas?

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 12:12:04 AM »
Congratulations! It feels good to learn something that is as important as this is to you doesn't it?  :kickdancing: :boogie: GJ!
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 02:00:47 PM »
It might be better if I could jump directly from one gallery to the other without going back home

SIMPLE solution is the best:   Since you want to publish WITH the map showing, you can put three tiny images into your MAP of each gallery so your visitor has access to it no matter what page they are on!
a left arrow image
a right arrow image
and a HOME icon

Then right click one of the images.  Assign a URL style link to each.  Put in full http address for each link:
Left takes them to the previous gallery. (where to find it)
Right takes them to the next gallery (where to find it)
Home icon should take your visitor to your MAIN PAGE of your website

You can also put in a TEXT link at the bottom of your thumbnails too.
-Samantha