Author Topic: Questions after computer crash... Help  (Read 42972 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Questions after computer crash... Help
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2008, 02:24:17 PM »
"play"
For me this is many things.  I have a lot of interests.  I have been a crafter all my life (paint, sew, lots of hobbies over the years have come and gone as time permits).    Time zooms away, and I find it interesting and fun!  Especially if I am not on a time deadline  play time.  :boogie: :kickdancing: :boogie:   

- When I am trying something new, learning HOW to do something, trying for a special effect, it is FUN.
- PC are a long-lasting hobby.  Testing programs, trying new techniques or developing them, learning about new components, trying new software, etc... this is PLAYING for me. 
- Working with photo programs is another JOY for me.  I am constantly learning how to do new techniques in one of my programs (I HAVE MANY!  Yes I am addicted to this type program!)
- I also love to sit and read.  And sew (haven't had much time for it lately but I did get a new sewing machine so I could do more of it). 
- I often combine my enjoyments:  wear my headset and listen to audio books while working on the PC (at home and work) or at the sewing machine!  Play time!

I am a nerd and do not apologize for it!  I find many things to be FUN that would frustrate other people.
If under stress, mainly from lack of time, learning something new can be a chore. But otherwise I LOVE IT.

(Of course there are other kinds of "playing" too!!! :D)

The STOP sign is a LARGE graphic that includes the text beside it.  It is not all by itself.

Be careful to not overload with animated images.  They can distract your clients from what you WANT them to look at. They can add value to your site if done well, or make the site "cheesy", tacky, amateurish.

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2008, 04:43:49 PM »
I am pleased you like it guys, thanks!

I have made the change you suggested Sami! Well almost what you asked for, but not quite  >:D. I only made a partial concession to you Americans - decided I had to give some recognition to proper English!

LOL

Tony, I agree completely with two of Sami's comments:

1) take the opportunity to give your site a "fresh" look which will let your supporters know that you have been working on it. More importantly, it will encourage them, and new viewers, to take a closer look at your site, and maybe buy something more! The new look does not need a big makeover, just change some of the key graphics, modified layout etc

2) Be careful about over-use of animations. It does distract and annoy viewers if overdone. Just use animation in a small number of places where you think it will really add to attracting the viewer to that item.

Rick
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 04:51:31 PM by rickasaurus »
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2008, 06:10:42 PM »
Yes, it is probably the right time to do something different, but it's not so easy.. You know why? since the very beginning this "on line catalog" has been a nightmare, for me and for the people that scroll it. There are HUNDREDS of possible lure combinations to choose from between models/weight/hooks/colors and three types of dressing. Much more than SEVEN HUNDRED combinations with only ONE type of dressing... :v8slap:

Almost 80% of orders come in wrong, ordering inexistent combination of items, that makes me lose time sending clarification mails. That's why you can see on the most visited pages, including the "How to Order" page, a lot of EXAMPLES "how to order" or "when ordering specify...", etc. No way... :noshake: I understand new visitors which are not used to this kind of lures, but I can't do more. I have "fine tuning" the site based on most common error observed on orders, and this last version has been quite acceptable.

I think I won't use dynamic images, I agree that they will distract viewers and in this particular case is not convenient. I'd rather direct my efforts on making some pages with general information about Jigs, what they are, how they work and for what kind of species are made to. You won't believed it, but even if they have been used in America for more than half century, in Italy were practically unknown till I came in. I am the only hand made jigs producer in Italy!   >:D  LOL

I don't know how Google will do it in America or else, but try typing on your browser "Testine piombate" "Jig" (w/o " " in Italy are called both ways). I am usually the first of the list or at least between the first ten.

Your suggestion will be always welcome.

...nigth  :o

T
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2008, 08:49:08 PM »
Explain to me how they SHOULD order.  What would you have them do?
Can you lead them to the right one?   What do you ask to clarify?

Have you considered working up a database with info and building a search to fit that criteria?
1) choose a weight
2) choose a hook
3) choose a color
The unit (s) you have described is/are: ....... :ximage:
This would limit what they order from you, limit email clarifications, etc.

Thinking out loud....hmmmm..... ??? ??? :unsure: :unsure: ??? ???   :idea:
I am in the process of learning something new:  AJAX application, including a searchable database.
Been looking for something to test on, real-world stuff.  Maybe I can use your lures as a test!  If you want to, you could give me each criteria and maybe 20 lures to work with and let me see what I can do with it.... Not sure I can do ANYTHING....but MAYBE I can help us both....

decided I had to give some recognition to proper English
BAH HUMBUG!!!!!!!!!  More people in the world speak the North American version of English than the British version!   :D
But I do understand your nod to the date functions, especially since the site is Italian. :yes:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 10:30:53 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2008, 01:53:33 PM »
Sami, I'm just reading this post, give me a while to answer properly. I have to think (hard task for me, but I will try...) ???  :idea:  LOL

This is for Rick:
A little change must be made, I would say an addition instead.
I've being tempested with mails from people that have an order in process:
ARE YOU GONNA CLOSE??? HOW ABOUT MY ORDER?? I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR 4 WEEKS!!!

Well, imagine this said in Italian...  :v8slap:

I will PM you a small text to add on each language.

Sorry and thank you in advance. ;)

T
P.S.
Checking the visitors counter, people still visiting the site... I mean, not only getting to the home page, but scrolling pages. Almost same amount of visitors as open: +/- 70 - 90 a day  ???
It is surely happening what you said Sami, they are coming from an outside link.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 02:12:44 PM by Tony41 »
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2008, 03:34:41 PM »
That's good.  You don't want to break those links.
And going forward, your new pages will need to have the same names so your links and your search engine ranking will not break.

To make people feel better and clarify:
A simple statement on your home page saying we are NOT closing and all orders in process will be filled.  No new orders are being accepted during the rebuild. The site will reopen as normal after this slight break.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2008, 03:53:34 PM »
Rick has just added a small notice at the bottom...
Hope Italian visitors have enough brain to scroll down and read it !  rofl rofl

T

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2008, 03:57:26 PM »
Hopefully it will stop people going into a panic about their Christmas orders!  :yes:

Rick

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2008, 04:12:17 PM »
Sami, did you notice that when in "How to order" page, were the STOP sign is, there is a text inviting visitors to go to home page for details... well, if you press "Home" on the bottom menu it gives Page Not Found.

It is supposed to link to an "Index" named page, whatever it has on it, isn't it?  ???

:unsure:
T

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2008, 06:11:55 PM »
CSB defaults to a home page called index.htm
Your links on ALL your pages with a HOME link point to index.htm
I did not change any links on your pages...they should all be working.

So I checked the home page.  That was the issue.  FIXED. Simple & Easy. 
Rick published his page as index.html
So, I renamed RICK's home page to fit your site, made it index.htm
Now all existing pages point to Rick's home page and still work fine.
He kept your old home page up on the server too, so if you want to go back to it, it will take seconds to do it!

Also added this statement from the home page below the stop sign to help stop questions. 
Gli ordini in corso saranno spediti regolarmente
Los pedidos en curso serĂ¡n despachados regularmente
Orders in process will be shipped regularly
Antonio

As you are rebuilding, might I suggest that you consider UNCHECKING the box for frames.  This time as you are building your website, I would recommend that you consider NOT publishing frames.  Read about frames here.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:18:26 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2008, 06:17:48 PM »
 :hapscream:

Thanks !

T

P.S.
Sami, the three last sentences (new) don't you think that would be better if placed under each language?

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2008, 06:19:30 PM »
You are  :welsign: 
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2008, 06:21:57 PM »
We post at the same time.    LOL Did you read the P.S ?

Hey hey  hey.....

I'M IN THE WRONG THREAD !!!

SORRY  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Sami, can you move or delete  these last posts?

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2008, 06:27:12 PM »
LOL    rofl    I did not notice we were on the wrong thread....moved them over.....

The last three sentences were not there when I posted!

Yes.  I would prefer the order sentences with each of the three colored paragraphs.
We'll let Rick make that modification since he has the original document.
You'll have to define which is which....I can only be sure of the last one!  ;)

I like his dramatic black with the colors.  The fish graphic is great on that page!

Now my turn...
Did you see MY comment about frames????
As you are rebuilding, might I suggest that you consider UNCHECKING the box for frames.  This time as you are building your website, I would recommend that you consider NOT publishing frames.  Read about frames here.

(what are you doing up at 12:38am posting on this forum....get some sleep!!!)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:40:26 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2008, 06:32:46 PM »
Yes, I did, but right now is 00:30 and I still having five boxes to prepare... I will be with you tomorrow

(please, move this posts before someone else read them...   :-[:-[)  shame on me...

nigth

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2008, 07:37:40 PM »
Good suggestion, I have made the change and moved the orders notice in with each language - much better.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2008, 11:42:31 PM »
Looks good Rick!   :clapping:

The site is good for a while now.  Just a matter of rebuild now.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2008, 05:39:50 AM »
Thanks Sam. Actually I cannot take the credit for the dramatic black with the strong colours. I just tried to make it consistent with Tony's existing site, so that his site visitors would feel they were still looking at his site.

Tony, I agree with Sami's comment about frames. Personally I don't like frames for most applications. To me they make a site feel cumbersome and complicated. I think people these days like a crisp, simple, uncluttered, but stylish site, where they can quickly and easily find what they are looking for. That is also the reason why I do not like too many animations.

Rick

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2008, 09:39:29 AM »
Explain to me how they SHOULD order.  What would you have them do?
Can you lead them to the right one?   What do you ask to clarify?

I'll give you an example of the most popular model: ARPON
- Head color: 12 choices
- Head weight: 8 choices

- Hook size/strength: each weight has its own choices: can be armed with one of three diff. hooks sizes + three strengths: (1X), (2X), (4X) depending on weight. This particular model has 21 choices in total (weight/size/strength)
Ex. The 1 oz. head can be supplied with hook size #3/0 OR 4/0 OR 5/0 OR 6/0  (all (1X) OR 4/0(4X) Total: five diff. hooks for this weight.

- Tail: Three types: Standard, TrueColor, FlashTail

Reassuming:
ARPON MODEL:
12 colors X 21 hooks X 3 tails = 756 codes/options that I have in my database only for this model...  :v8slap:
and there are 8 models (not all of them with same options:banghead:

So, when ordering, they have to specify me: head model, color, weight, hook size/strength and the type of tail they want.

See picture: (sorry, text is in Italian, was taken from the site...)

A complete table with models/weights/hooks can be seen here: h**p://www.iarfish.com/id46.htm
That page doesn't show the 12 colors and the 3 tail types available for each one...

Have you considered working up a database with info and building a search to fit that criteria?
Nope, because no idea how to do it... :noshake:

Sorry for such amount of bla bla bla, but that's the situation. That's why visitors make mistakes ordering... and I don't blame them.  Most ask for a picture of each color with the different tail options to see how they look like!! I can't insert an image for each choice, that will crowd the page/site,  but, last night, seeing your site Sami, I read interested things about images display. I will take a closer look.

T
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 09:44:34 AM by Tony41 »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2008, 09:42:12 AM »
Frames are great for specific purposes... I use them occasionally, in a subdirectory.
But the full site is better without frames these days.

Rick's reasons are at the top of the list, but there are more.  
- easier on navigation
- fewer scroll bars
- more window space is available.  (with CSB 5, this allows for more adjustment of tables)
- more consistent view on every page.

But the MOST IMPORTANT reason is that when you do need to move away from CSB, you will HAVE to build without frames. No other program treats Frames as well as CSB!  CSB

CSB is GREAT for frames.  It spoils all of us and the search engines LOVE the way CSB makes framed pages.
Each part of your page (top border, middle, left and bottom borders) is a separate page. Each has it's own code.
But CSB creates a master page that combines ALL THE CODE into one page so the search engine can see that this page talks about lures, how to order, etc... Other programs do not do that.  The master page for other programs is BLANK.  The search engines can't tell what is on the web page!  Rankings for pages drop and no one can find those web pages again!   SO....change over now.

I like animations.  BUT they are addictive.  And tend to get overwhelming very fast!
Used well, they add value and interest to a web page.  
Cartoon figures, funny graphics, flashing lines, etc can quickly change the tone of a website from business to silly.  There is a fine line sometimes.  

HMMMMM>>>>>>  just read your post.  wow what a job.  Can understand how there would be confusion.
Let me play tonight with pictures.  I may have a QUICK way to help with that, even if we can not build a database!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 09:49:45 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2008, 03:59:12 PM »
It seems what Tony needs is a series of drop-down lists, each one adding another feature to the selection, so that the final drop-down completes the product selection. Is it possible to have drop-down lists which include descriptions and graphics?

For example:

Product Selection: ARPON > a drop-down list for color is displayed:

Head Color:

Blue
Green
Red selected > (next displays list for) Head weight:

3 selected > (next displays list for) Hook size:

4 selected > (next displays list for) Hook strength:

1x
2x selected > (next displays list for) Tail:
4x

Standard
True Color
Flash Tail final selection >

(then displays all parameters selected) Confirm your order selection : Arpon, red, head weight 3, hook size 4, hook strength 2x, Flash Tail

Something like the above, if it could be made to look attractive.  The entire order selection process could possibly be all on one page, with mouse-overs (or similar) to give more info on each item.

I don't know how to do that but I imagine it is possible. What I have in mind is a bit like when you are completing a form, and you have to enter your Country, it then displays a list of the states or provinces applicable to that country to make the selection. But of course it would need to look good with colours and graphics if possible.

Rick
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 04:23:25 PM by rickasaurus »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2008, 04:46:55 PM »
Rick... YOU ARE READING MY MIND AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2008, 05:08:02 PM »
Oh yes, but I can only read it to a certain point, then I am lost!! Looking forward to see what you come up with.

Rick

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2008, 05:42:15 PM »
Hi,  I've been reading you... :)

I was playing (I borrowed this word from Sami... :D) with FRAME NO-FRAME option taking the almost reconstructed home page as example. To say the truth... I don't like the results  :noshake: Note that I'm not talking about the FRAME option but about the page. In this particular case, the way the page is structured, two borders, left and right with ALL the necessary to start navigation and updated/dynamic information, and a middle page with a long stream of pictures (which has proved to be the most attracting thing for my visitors because they like to see themselves in there and show those pictures to friends and relatives), when you scroll down to see them all, the information, menus, news and whatever I place in those borders disappear leaving two empty and displeasing black lateral zones... :(

It seems that to eliminate the frames from the site will implicate a radical change of it, don't you think so?

T

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2008, 06:30:16 PM »
Yes and no....
Without frames, you see the full page scroll up/down at a time.
With frames, those areas stay in place.

Most modern websites have main navigational links at the top and bottom of the page.
Visitors are intuitive.  They know to look in those areas.
It does not matter that your links will scroll out of view.  Your visitors will find them!

BUT your main negative reaction comes from all that dead black space on either side of the window.
You can control that.

To create a 3 area look, you can do 3 things:

1) turn on your left and right border.  Then USE THEM.  All the way down.
Put a contrasting table into your left border to punch up images, comments, blocks of ads, featured products, etc in those long areas! GREAT place to highlight topics of interest. Showcase a particular item.  Keep the center of the page for your larger paragraphs and images.
Your website will look fuller.  Look like it has fresh content, just because you are presenting it differently.

2) Turn on the top and left border.  Then in the large page body, put a 1 or 2 column table.
Take a look at msn.com.  They have a layout that LOOKS like a blue top border (with a white table holding navigational links), a blue left border (with special topics, a couple images/video) and a page body that COULD BE a 2 column table.  Creates a 3 area look (you have that now) without using frames.

3) You may consider taking away your borders on left and right ON THE HOME PAGE.
and use tables instead.  You will have MORE real estate to work with!  Either a LARGE 3 column table or a series of smaller tables all the way down the page.  Samisite home page uses a 3 column look like what you have, but no borders.  Allows you to make more use of your website space.
At the bottom of the frames page I mentioned before, I have some screen prints that show layered tables.
Take a look at THIS PAGE for more info and examples. 

Your site... your ideas...your decision....

Looking forward to see what you come up with. 
How about what YOU come up with???   LOL
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2008, 06:41:55 PM »
It seems what Tony needs is a series of drop-down lists...

Hi Rick, thank you for your comments.
My opinion? : too many clicks on numbers and/or names to make a selection without seeing anything. That will send them in a limbo. After seven years trying several ways, I understand that they want to see the finished jig, how it looks like with this or with that before accept it.

The actual page (say ARPON page) shows all choices in two simple tables, (well really two adjacent) one with all weights and hooks available for the jig of the page you are on (one page for each model), and the 12 colors on the other small table, with actual pictures of part of the jig head. So, they have all the necessary to select at glance, practically, the rest of the page is just to show samples and photos of captures made with that particular jig submitted by themselves.

I was thinking on something like a paper catalog, with thumbnail pictures which can be enlarged if you click on it, leaving the tables with hooks and weights. I mean, try to simplify the page avoiding overcharging it with images and options.  I understand that: More options = More Problems = More Mistakes

T

P.S.
Sami, I've just read your post. Sound reasonable, to say the truth, I was thinking on both alternatives you have just gave me, the long space for info and/or a three column table. I will give it a second thought but now it's late for me (again...  :banghead:) I will be back tomorrow  :yes:

...night

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2008, 12:16:13 AM »
I started to make a sample for you and lost it when I had a computer error!   :'(
So I started over and it is not as elaborate....

- My first thought was a double drop down.  But you were clear that your visitors like to see the IMAGES when they choose.  So I did NOT make this sample.  

- My second thought was use images to select.  Use the images to narrow down choices.
First choose the TYPE of jig.  Choose ARPON
Then you see a full description of the ARPON.....all the charts, etc.

To build your own, Click a color.  (Blue or Pink)
This takes you to a page that offers you the tails available.  Choose a color that has the link.
This takes you to a page that offers the hooks available.  
Or along this line...Basically 3-4 clicks and they have built a lure!

As the visitor chooses the image gets closer to what the product will be.
At the end of the selection process, you end up with a page showing the final pieces that fit that criteria and product codes that go with those lures.
YOU control which pieces go together.  But takes more pages and effort.  But might make your customers happier.

Try a sample here:  h**p://samisite.com/temp/iarfish/index.htm
This is all CSB, no database.

I once used this technique when I made a selection guide for a website.  Answer a question. takes you to another question....takes you to another question and finally to the recommended product.

- the last concept is a database option....either AJAX or shopping cart that uses the same technique as mentioned above but the script would generate your page for you instead of CSB.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 11:31:48 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2008, 06:15:35 PM »
Hi friends,

Sorry for being late answering...

Thank you Sami, you spend quite a time working on that test.
I gave it fast read, but I'm not prepared to comment at this moment, I haven't had time till now (00:15 a.m.) to take a look at it. Let see if during the weekend I can find a gap.

Have you all a nice weekend
Cheers
Tony

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2008, 08:26:54 AM »
I've been working on a "sample page" which can be seen here: h--p://www.iarfish.com/test-iar/id35.htm
This is only one of eight pages /8 models) that would have +/- the same structure. I tried to place all info needed to select a lure in one shot (screen), the rest of page is merely propaganda. The blank (empty) lower space is waiting for more photos with remaining colors.

Although it is in Italian, if you were interested in buying a lure, could you understand how to order?

Any suggestion?

T

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2008, 08:30:40 AM »
BY THE WAY, I really like the way you made your image gallery.
You might try to copy that table as one big piece to put it onto your new web page.  It might come in just fine in one copy/paste. 

It didn't work...  :-\

T

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2008, 10:14:54 AM »
I like the test page!   :boogie:

I have been trying different copy/paste modes for CSB use..  Best results:
- Use IE not  Firefox to capture the table
- Paste into CSB.  All text and colors remain.
- Manually insert images.  Can use INSERT PICTURE, or just copy paste the image from the web page into the table.

I found that when I copied/pasted from Firefox, the table did not retain it's original settings.  Sometimes colors changed.

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2008, 10:25:52 AM »
 ;)

:clapping:  :thankyousign:

With IE, not FX
T

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2009, 06:12:33 AM »
After years of being rated at the top on my category, I was abruptly deranked (erased I would say...) after publishing a Christmas holiday closure announcement replacing the formal Home Page during the whole season.

I'm writing this post to warn others to avoid making the same mistake. The holiday announcement should be inserted within the home page in order to keep on ranked.

After reinstalling the original home page, I appeared on Google page 29 !!, but after two or three days I'm stuck on page 9.  Do you think I will recover my enviable position?

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
    • www.ResolveChurchConflict.com
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2009, 07:43:24 AM »
Tony,

Sorry for your troubles.   :v8slap:  I have decided to stay put with CSB.  I hope you will someone be able to regain your top position where, no doubt, you belong.

Ken N.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2009, 12:45:25 PM »
Tony, you made a complete copy of your website, downloaded from your website before making changes.

Rankings need
1) CONTENT We know this changed.  Can you send me a copy of your original INDEX.htm (and all index....) files in a zip file, in email? I want to compare the CONTENT of that page to your current page. The TEXT.  Remember that search engines want textural content, information and TEXT links. They don't like image links.  So if you use image links, there should always be text links TOO, even if at the bottom of the page.
2) Incoming links.  Did you lose any of your incoming links?  Did anyone stop pointing to your website that used to do it?  I will add a link from samisite.com to get your site searched a few extra times.
3) Keywords.  Are all your keywords/description still listed on your new home page?
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2009, 05:25:59 PM »
Sami, just sent you an email...

T

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2009, 04:58:17 AM »
Well, after only ten days I regain the top position  :boogie:
Being the #1 on 4+ MPages is not bad at all... :)

Thank you all for your advices and support

T

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2009, 05:52:27 AM »
Well done Tony! Congratulations!  :clapping:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2009, 02:36:37 PM »
 :kickdancing: :kickdancing: :bdballoon: :bdballoon: :bdballoon:   :kickdancing: :kickdancing:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2009, 08:47:37 AM »
Hi

I'm almost ready with the new version of the site.
I've tested it in a subdirectory and, even if it  is not completely finished (the Spanish version), I think I am ready for publishing. Before doing that, I would like to check everything to avoid making mistakes and ruin the actual working site.

My doubt is with the images uploaded with FTP program.

What steps should I pay specially attention?

Is it better or convenient to upload the tlx file separately or leave CSB to do it for me?

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2009, 10:29:47 AM »
I have read your PM's about your test subdirectory. And your impending re-publish of the website.   :boogie:
Decided to post an answer to you in PUBLIC on your original thread.
It started in the public and will end in the public.
And others may go through a similar experience and will need to know how to get back on track too.

So glad you have progressed so far into the rebuild that you are almost ready to republish your new design file.   :clapping:
Hope you are making backup copies every now and then.  Store copies of the design file to USB stick or CD or something....  ;)

Lets address some of your questions and get you on the path to final publishing.....  This info may be of help to another person reading this thread.

what about the big images loaded with an FTP program (seen when gallery thumbnails are clicked)? Do I have to erase them ? Will CSB erase them when publishing the new site?
CSB will not "see" those files. It has no memory of those files so they should be intact after you publish the new design file.
CSB can only remove the files that IT knows about. It knows about them from the TlxTransfer.txt file.  The program compares the TlxTransfer.txt file on the webhost with the one inside the design file.  If they do not match, CSB will publish all new pages.  If they DO match, CSB will publish only the updates to the files.  In YOUR case, your new design file has NO MEMORY of being published to the main directory of your site.  So it will warn you that the whole directory will publish, you will say ok and ALL PAGES will publish.  

You also have a different situation.  Your current site has framed pages, which means you have more than one htm file for each web page:  index.htm, index_l.htm, index_r.htm, index_m.htm, etc.  When your current CSB publishes to your website, it will only replace the overall master page for each, leaving behind the other pieces parts of the pages.  I recommend you leave the _m.htm pages behind for a while. You can use FTP program to remove the other parts. Anyone that linked to your old pages MIGHT have linked to a _m.htm part of the page.  Keeping them will protect your old incoming links.  You can not load the _m.htm pages into the browser...they have code that automatically sends the visitor to the full master page so the link stays intact.  The old _m.htm (the middle part) pages will not interfere with your current site, but MAY allow old links to stay intact by sending the visitors to the new version of the page!

You add a robots.txt file to tell all search engines to not visit/save those pages so they do not end up in a search engine list somewhere:
DO NOT DO THIS UNTIL YOU HAVE REPUBLISHED THE WEBSITE WITHOUT FRAMES!
Open notepad
Copy then paste this code:
Code: [Select]
User-agent: *  
Disallow: /*_m.htm
Save the file as robots.txt
Use FTP to upload it to the main directory of the website.

do you think that repeating the whole site in Spanish is the easiest way to have a double language site? How normally do it the multilingual sites?
Many sites built in multipal languages have a DUPLICATE set of pages. You could do that too.  
Once you get the main site complete and loaded to the web, you can FILE SAVE AS and give it a new name (SPANISH).  
Spend time translating the file to your second language, maintaining the same look as you have created for the first language.
Then you publish that new spanish design file to a new subdirectory (yoursite.com/espanol/) etc. You would update each file when you have changes.
Each file would require links to the main page of the site, offering a choice of languages.

Of course the less popular choice is to offer the google or yahoo toolbar that has a built-in translator.  Can translate whole page in seconde.  Sometimes very good results.  Sometimes a bit wacky.

the Spanish section will be postponed, I will only insert blank pages with their relatives old numbers to keep OK with search engines end foreign links and referrers.
- Your new pages will overwrite the existing page of the same name. Using the blank page in the new design file allows you to have that page available for easy linking, for menus, basically a placeholder till you get the page built.
- If you do not want your visitors to see an existing page but want to keep the links to that page, then insert a new page into your new design file to replace it, give it the exact same name.  Links from outside the website will still arrive at that page and will not be broken.  You should put a link from that page to your home page.  You might say something like the site is being updated, new page are being built and will be posted soon concerning _______ content (need a statement about what SHOULD BE on that page).  Eventually you can add automatic redirects on those pages to send your vistors where they need to go.
- BUT If you want visitors to see that page AS IS NOW (old version that has not been rebuilt), You will have to do a bit of manual work (temporarily). If you already have pages on the current website that you want to KEEP for a while longer, you will need to MANUALLY FTP the EXISTING page (and proper photos for that page) BACK to the website AFTER you publish the new design file that has a blank page.  CSB will not know of your deception and will not put the blank page back on the host until YOU change that blank page.  The minute that you CHANGE that page, CSB will overwrite the version on the website again!

I will make a sort of "check list" before erasing the actual site, because there won't be a point of return, I will have to be double sure before doing the last move.
Of COURSE you can prepare for the "worst" and bring your site back to life if something goes wrong! :yes:
You can make sure that there IS a safety net.
You can make an exact copy of all the content on the website as it is TODAY so if you goof, something goes wrong, you can put it back.
Don't use the BACKUP options that compact the files if your host offers that.  Instead just Use FTP and just download the content AS IS to a folder on your own computer.
After you publish the new file, if you need to have SOMETHING back on the website, you can use FTP to put it back.  Even for just one file, one photo, one web page.  
(You also have a copy you made of the site before you started the rebuild.  It is older, without the current home page but may be useful still.)

Maintenance:
- You can get rid of the folder that holds the old replaced files.
- If for some odd reason the _m.htm middle pages are wiped out by the new design file publish, you can put them back from your backup copies.  They are probably not needed, just recommended as a precaution.  Watch your stats...see if your incoming links ever come INTO the _m.htm pages.  If not, you can remove them from the site.  If so, keep them, or contact the sites linking to those and ask them to relink the page.  (Redirects on windows server is harder than Linux servers)

SO.....If you have rebuilt your pages and have made a backup of the site THE WAY IT IS TODAY, you can remove the test subdirectory check mark and let CSB PUBLISH to your main directory, overwrite your main site.  GO LIVE!  Then manually put back any OLD pages(and photos) that you want them to see, if you have any.  Once you are sure that you don't need it, you can remove the test subdirectory (with FTP program) from your web host.

What you are about to do is SCARY!  But it will work out fine.  I promise.
Haven't led you wrong so far have I????   :D

:boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:44:30 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2009, 11:31:43 AM »
Thank you Sami,

Well, there is a lot to read, and read again... you know my lack with Shakespeare's language...  :(
I'll let you know when done  ;)

T

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2009, 11:43:34 AM »
Sometimes I forget!  Your english skills are amazing.
If something does not make sense....let me know and I will explain more, try to make it more helpful.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2009, 08:05:22 AM »

the Spanish section will be postponed, I will only insert blank pages with their relatives old numbers to keep OK with search engines end foreign links and referrers.
- Your new pages will overwrite the existing page of the same name. Using the blank page in the new design file allows you to have that page available for easy linking, for menus, basically a placeholder till you get the page built.
- If you do not want your visitors to see an existing page but want to keep the links to that page, then insert a new page into your new design file to replace it, give it the exact same name.  Links from outside the website will still arrive at that page and will not be broken.  You should put a link from that page to your home page.  You might say something like the site is being updated, new page are being built and will be posted soon concerning _______ content (need a statement about what SHOULD BE on that page).  Eventually you can add automatic redirects on those pages to send your vistors where they need to go.
- BUT If you want visitors to see that page AS IS NOW (old version that has not been rebuilt), You will have to do a bit of manual work (temporarily). If you already have pages on the current website that you want to KEEP for a while longer, you will need to MANUALLY FTP the EXISTING page (and proper photos for that page) BACK to the website AFTER you publish the new design file that has a blank page.  CSB will not know of your deception and will not put the blank page back on the host until YOU change that blank page.  The minute that you CHANGE that page, CSB will overwrite the version on the website again!

To understand better...
If I publish WITHOUT the blank Spanish pages with same idxx,  the ACTUAL Spanish pages will be erased?
Just to know if I can save them to avoid manually FTP page by page + images until I have time to make the new ones.

T

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2009, 06:00:38 PM »
Well, the old site is gone... I've just published the new one.
Thanks to you Sami, everything went just fine. Your guide was invaluable.  :hearts:
Pls, take a look at it, your comments will be highly appreciated.

Now, my next step will be rebuild the Spanish version.  :yes:

T

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2009, 06:56:01 PM »
 :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Very nice.
It was a very hard task.  But you did it and should feel very proud!
I had the easy task of coaching from the side.  :D

Can't wait for you to get some comments from your visitors....

I am so happy for you!
Congratulations!
:hapscream: :bdballoon: :bdballoon: :hapscream:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2009, 06:49:22 AM »
Good warning! People don't think about things like this often when they make drastic changes.
Success is a way of life found moment by moment