Author Topic: Publishing error message, help please.  (Read 4880 times)

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
Publishing error message, help please.
« on: April 07, 2011, 06:05:24 AM »
After a minor change on one page (a typing error) I saved with a new name, as I regularly do, including the new date in the file name. The last time was the 4th of this month and published with no problems.

Three days after, using the same publishing procedure that I have always used,  I'm getting this message:

The previous name was 04_04_2011.tlx and the new name is 07_04_2011.tlx

What am I doing wrong this time?  :-\

Thanks
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Publishing error message, help please.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 02:53:16 PM »
- If you were in the tlx file and clicked FILE SAVE AS and gave it a new name, usually that warning does not appear.  :noshake:

- If you just copy the file and assign a new name to the copy out of CSB, then open it in CSB, that warning does often appear. :yes:

- It can appear also if the TlxTransfer.txt file on your server is missing or damaged/changed.  CSB compared the file you are working in to the file on your website to see what has changed.  It reads the codes beside each file and can tell which file is newer or if any changes have been made.

- It can also appear if you have put in a different destination for the file (different host, different folder, etc).  Eample you want to publish a file to a subdirectory to test some changes.  The file would have memory of publishing to your main directory and would warn you that it is being sent to somewhere else this time...

IMPORTANT: 
If you took an OLDER file and said FILE SAVE AS and gave it a new name, then tried to publish that file, CSB is warning you that your content will be changed!
   That newer content will be replaced with older content!   Example: you have to go back to an older file because current file is damaged or lost....

Are you sure you took your most recent file and gave it a new name? 

As long as your settings in the file are correct and you are working with the most recent copy, go ahead and publish. It may replace just a little bit of the file, or could replace all pages.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 03:38:35 PM »
- If you were in the tlx file and clicked FILE SAVE AS and gave it a new name, usually that warning does not appear.  :noshake:

- If you just copy the file and assign a new name to the copy out of CSB, then open it in CSB, that warning does often appear. :yes:

- It can appear also if the TlxTransfer.txt file on your server is missing or damaged/changed.  CSB compared the file you are working in to the file on your website to see what has changed.  It reads the codes beside each file and can tell which file is newer or if any changes have been made.

- It can also appear if you have put in a different destination for the file (different host, different folder, etc).  Eample you want to publish a file to a subdirectory to test some changes.  The file would have memory of publishing to your main directory and would warn you that it is being sent to somewhere else this time...

IMPORTANT:  
If you took an OLDER file and said FILE SAVE AS and gave it a new name, then tried to publish that file, CSB is warning you that your content will be changed!
  That newer content will be replaced with older content!   Example: you have to go back to an older file because current file is damaged or lost....

Are you sure you took your most recent file and gave it a new name?  

As long as your settings in the file are correct and you are working with the most recent copy, go ahead and publish. It may replace just a little bit of the file, or could replace all pages.

Thanks Sami.
Yes, I'm aware of what you said and I took the only file I have and always use, there is no doubt about that because in the file's name is implicit the date of the last change made: 4th of April. I was in the tlx file and clicked FILE SAVE AS and gave it a new name changing only the DAY in the name and finally click on Publish, as I explained in my previous post.

My fear is to replace the entire site, because I still experiencing computer hang up when on line, I wouldn't like that it happens while publishing the whole site, which takes several minutes...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 03:00:59 AM by Tony41 »
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 05:02:21 PM »
Tony, maybe you should get up at 5am and publish then! No one else in your town will be online!  rofl
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 05:29:09 PM »
 rofl

Well, I just did it. (it is 11:30 p.m. here Rick)  :D

It went fine, only the page modified was uploaded.
That message made me feel nervous.. :unsure:

Thanks for helping.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 08:37:54 PM »
Very good.

That message is scary. Have seen it sometimes when I did not expect it too.
One time I KNOW it was caused by the HOST.  They had to use a file backup which reset the website to 12 hours earlier than my TLX file.  When I tried to publish, I got the warning you got. And it was because the TlxTransfer.txt file (in the directory with your index.htm file) was not up-to-date.  When I published, I only had 2 pages update, not the whole file like you.  Worked out fine.

Glad to hear you got past it without a problem.

I too use file naming with dates in it. Can easily see when the file was modified.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )