Author Topic: copywrite symbol  (Read 6575 times)

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
copywrite symbol
« on: February 09, 2007, 08:07:45 PM »
Been away for a long time but have a problem now that I can not find an answer two.

I have copywrited a name under which I write technical articles 'the email Mechanic" and would like to put a copywrite symbol at the end of it (the infamous c in a circle). How do I do that in CSB 5.0??

BTW I have rebookmarked this site as I suspect that you will be active in other web composing programs.

Thanks.

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
Re: copywrite symbol
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 10:19:57 PM »
Here is a quote from the CSB help pages:

To add symbols to text, such as © and ®, you must use a font that displays symbols. Common symbols are included in most fonts. To insert them, you can use a Windows utility called the Character Map, usually found in Start > Programs > Accessories.

Here is the symbol copied and pasted from the Windows character map: © After you copy from the Character Map, you can paste directly into CSB.

Rick

:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 10:57:06 PM »
Welcome to the forum!!!

Use Windows Character map to find the key strokes needed.
The copyright symbol and other characters can be put in using ALT and number combination (from the keypad).
In Windows XP:   Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools> Character Map

Copyright is ALT 0169  (numbers on keypad) =   ©  

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 10:55:16 AM »
From my own experience, going the ALT + number route is safer. Just make sure your num lock is on, and hold down the ALT key as you type the numbers. I still have the set of pages with ASCII codes from my Word 4 manual (yes, back then, Word had an actual manual). I keep copies of the pages handy both at the office and at home and make new copies when the ones I'm using start getting bedraggled.

Inserting the characters usually works, but occasionally one gets altered when sent by email or put online (or, BTW, when put into a forum post). I've never had that happen with the ASCII code.

Another BTW - Even though I spend a fair amount of time hanging out in a forum specifically about copyright issues, I don't know how this would apply to a pen name. In general, you can't copyright names (even of fictional characters in a novel). Have you actually registered a copyright for the name, or are you possibly thinking of a trademark? The process for that is completely different from a copyright, and would keep anyone from using the name in the same field in which you're using it. The material you write is what gets copyrighted - not the name under which you write it (as I understand it, that is). Copyright is automatic as soon as a work is created, with registration giving you a bit more clout in court if that should come up; trademarks, I think, do need to be registered to be legal.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 11:09:01 AM by tgshaw »

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 11:13:08 AM »
Thanks, everyone. Even though CSB is no longer supported and even though there are not as many posts as I remember from several years ago, this is still the fastest and best method of getting information.

Thanks Samantha, and guys, for not forgetting us.

Any idea when you will be testing alternatives to CSB and giving your expert opinions. I already have Front Page 2003 and am thinking of migrating to it for one of my six sites for test purposes.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 12:57:58 PM »
No we will not forget CSB users.  I am still a fan of the program and still build with it.  It will take a while for people to be ready to switch. Until then, they need support.

even though there are not as many posts as I remember from several years ago
That's because this is a NEW forum.  Samisite.com has offered CSB and Trellix support for years. But the forum JUST opened.  GlobalSCAPE that used to sell the CSB version, still has the main forum here.  It has a year of posts and the older version that no longer allows posts is here.

We opened this forum for many reasons.  Mainly because when GlobalSCAPE announced the end of CSB, they also said the forum MAY end in June of 2007. We did not want to lose that resource so we started a new one.  We all come from the Trellix and GlobalSCAPE forums and still visit the one they have open there.  But this forum is a bit different.... we have a few games and non-CSB areas.  The GlobalSCAPE forum is for GlobalSCAPE software.  On this forum we can discuss many products that are not offered by GlobalSCAPE and not feel like it is a conflict of interest.

Any idea when you will be testing alternatives to CSB and giving your expert opinions
Some of the opinions have started! And we also posted some links to other reviews.  Check out the other software section of the forum. I personally will start testing this spring.

Front Page 2003 and am thinking of migrating to it
I have not added a Front Page section to the forum. And at this point, I'm not sure I want to....
1. Too many people moved from it to CSB years ago.
2. The code it produces is very convoluted, bloated, slowing page loading.
3. And it requires special page extentions. Does not follow standard conventions.
But the key to web building is to find one that is comfortable to use and makes the job a pleasure. If Front Page does that for you, that's half the battle.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 10:46:33 PM »
Highlight the copyright symbol on any web page on earth and just paste it where you want it in CSB. (That's the pirate way).  ;)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 10:08:22 AM »
 :pirate:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 02:56:30 AM »
ARG Cursty lol I just copy it from a word page lol
Success is a way of life found moment by moment