Author Topic: CSB Subdirectory Question  (Read 3415 times)

Offline hidden

• ???
CSB Subdirectory Question
« on: May 21, 2007, 06:06:39 PM »
I have a website which up until now had no major issues.  I had about 1120 pages in a single .tlx file.  I finally reached the max where it balked. A large project portion I was working on I decided to move to a subdirectory.  I published the subdirectory and received the following:

Access forbidden!
You don't have permission to access the requested directory. There is either no index document or the directory is read-protected.
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster

Any idea what I need to do to correct this??

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
Re: CSB Subdirectory Question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 06:27:49 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Make sure your publishing settings are correct. Essentially the subdirectory tlx file should have exactly the same settings as your primary site tlx file, with one important exception. Check the "publish to subdirectory" option, and include the exact name of the subdirectory. CSB will create the folder for you in the right directory. If the subdirectory folder is being established in the right directory, where your existing index.html file is located, you should have no access permission problems. If you can give us the URL perhaps we can check it a bit further.

Rick
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 10:53:37 AM »
In addition to what Rick said, make sure you have a page in the subdirectory designated as the home page. (In the map, right-click on the page you want to be the main page of the subdirectory and look at "Properties". If it's not already the home page, check that box.) The file won't publish without an index page, and I'm wondering if maybe that's what it means by "no index document." When starting a .tlx file from scratch, the program automatically designates an index page, but if you've moved part of a .tlx file to a subdirectory, and that part doesn't contain the site's home page, you may have to set that property yourself.

ETA: Note - If you have navigation links in the subdirectory that link to "home page of document" rather than to the URL of the site's home page, setting your subdirectory's index page will make those links navigate to that page instead of the site's home page. This is easy to fix in format>page layouts, so you don't have to fix it on each page. In the page layout, highlight the link (most layouts have a built-in "home" link), use "unlink", and then use "link to URL or file" by putting in the URL of your site's home page. You don't have to change the text of the link - it can still say "home", even though it's linking to the other .tlx file. In fact, that's how I do virtually all of my subdirectories, so the site visitor can follow the link to the real home page of the site.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 11:10:29 AM by tgshaw »

Offline hidden

• ???
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 02:11:53 PM »
The home page issue was the problem.  I managed to get it working, thanks to all who responded.

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 08:59:47 AM »
Glad that helped. IIRC, I learned about this when I first started using subdirectories and all my "home" links were grayed out. :P