Author Topic: Monthly Calendar for CSB 5 Website?  (Read 4218 times)

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
Monthly Calendar for CSB 5 Website?
« on: August 15, 2007, 11:15:16 PM »
I'd like to include a standard type monthly calendar (picture calendar showing the whole month, with daily squares to note bookings) on my CSB 5 website.  Can anyone shove me in the right direction?
"To err is human; to forgive, canine." - Anonymous

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
Re: Monthly Calendar for CSB 5 Website?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 03:37:11 PM »
you might find a java script for that
I made one up for a networking group, but all it was, was a jpg I exported from Draw, I'm sure you could use any graphics program to make something similar up.

or, I have been having a go at this latly, check out postnuke.com you can add postcalendar or one of the other modules and have a live calendar. I only started with this a few days ago I don't know much about it. I am guessing it is way over kill for what you want though.

Best of Luck, and if you find something that works, please post back here!
Pat Jr.
ubuntu - ===  fedora -  F8 ===  OpenOffice 2.3  === KDE 4.0 is ===  GNOME === take Puppy for a spin puppylinux.org it's free! ===

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 04:35:44 PM »
Do you want interactivity or just a static calendar?
They are approached differently.

STATIC:  use a photo program or other greeting card software or even coffeecup's FLASH calender program (h**p://www.coffeecup.com/web-calendar/) to create an HTML page with a calendar on it.  This can be uploaded directly to your website inside CSB as a captured resource in a container page (this allows your CSB header or side to show and the calendar to be in the middle) or directly loaded to your site with FTP and linked to from your CSB pages.

INTERACTIVE:
There are several sites that host calenders for you.  With these, you would build a calendar on their site then make a URL style link in CSB to show the calendar. Would recommend you open in NEW WINDOW (use _blank) for the link so visitor stays on your site.  Maintain off site.

h**p://www.calendars.net/ has free calendars you build and has been around for many years
GOOGLE has a nice one too.
Search for web calendar for other options.

And if you want to get adventuresome, you can use an OPEN-SOURCE script that allows you to host your OWN calendar software for VCALENDAR. Take a look at this: h**p://www.ultraapps.com/app_overview.php?app_id=19
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 03:10:40 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 09:28:09 AM »
Thank you very much for your assistance - I'll experiment ??? and return with the results. ~ JW
"To err is human; to forgive, canine." - Anonymous

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 11:49:30 AM »
looks like a HOT TIP on the ultraapps

Thanks Sami !

Pat Jr
ubuntu - ===  fedora -  F8 ===  OpenOffice 2.3  === KDE 4.0 is ===  GNOME === take Puppy for a spin puppylinux.org it's free! ===

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 01:08:51 PM »
Here's another open source, uses PHP and mySql.
h**p://www.proverbs.biz/opensource/calendar.php

Hosting the calendar on someone else's site has its pros and cons:

PRO: 
1) In my humble opinion, having a hosted calendar (like Google, or calendars.net, etc) is the SAFER way to offer an interactive calendar on your site.  Hosting your own script requires maintenance!  You can not set any script (forum, form, calendar, guestbook, etc) in a website space and not tend it!  YOU MUST keep it up to date and apply all security patches.
2)  Having it hosted elsewhere puts the maintenance burden on THEM instead of you so less expertise is needed. 
3) And since you can show your creation (form, calendar, book, etc) through an IFRAME and configure it to match your site, your visitors will NOT know it is coming in from an external source!!!

CON:  Your site is dependent on the other site to work properly and not lose your data.  Personally, I have used a paid external hosted item for YEARS (my zonkboard on lower right side of the samisite.com homepage is seen through an iframe) with excellent results and minimal downtime/interuption of service.  If you go with a company that is reliable (read reviews), this is not a big issue. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 01:22:07 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 01:52:03 PM »
yea, good advice.
I did install vCalendar just to see what it was like.
WOW it is cool. It installed fairly easily.
Now do I keep it or not? I think Sami is right about the security issues. There are to many teenagers out there that want to hack your site just to prove they can. Don't forget, the Internet is a GLOBAL community, to many foreigners  rofl
Since I don't do any eCommerce on my site I might leave it up for a while for fun and try it on some pages.

Thanks for the tips!
Pat Jr

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 03:59:18 PM »
Ya... VCalendar looks fun.  :yes:  Looked at it for use on another site a while back.

Forgot to mention that many forums, like this SMF forum, include calendars too. 
I have mine set for the moderators to use but it could be set for all registered users, and ties back to posts on the forum.  Neat.

(And this forum is run on the samisite webspace, not from another site so I do have to maintain it...)
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 04:57:03 PM »
I use Google calendar and love it -- its so easy quick and dependable and I like that people can make comments on an event screen and can email friends or associates the event information from the panel
Success is a way of life found moment by moment