Author Topic: home page with background  (Read 3320 times)

Offline hidden

• eugenepictureframing
home page with background
« on: October 02, 2007, 12:18:21 PM »
I am seeing that most professional websites have the pages inside some kind of border (visible and invisible). In Samisite the home page is laid out with a background of blue. So what is this called when a web page does not cover the entire screen but is constricted to a set border within the whole screen? One of my websites is www.tomwatersriverguide.com. This website is already built. Is it possible to put my pages inside of a border after it is finished? I am guessing that the reason people put their pages inside of a border is so they come up correctly in any browser setting....

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: home page with background
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 04:46:53 PM »
ok...lets clarify a few things and see if we can get you pointed in the direction you want.

The SAMISITE.COM home page is built in CSB using a simple page that has NO borders.  I have set my page template in EDIT > PAGE LAYOUT to turn off all the borders.  Right click the border than chose PROPERTIES > PAGE AREA and UNCHECK your box to show the border.  (I actually made a NEW page layout for the home page and some other pages on my site that has no borders at all and left the standard CSB page layouts intact.)

With no borders on the page, the samisite.com home page looks like a plain white sheet of paper.

The background color is put into the PAGE PROPERTIES area.  You can use a flat color or use an image, as I did, to define a general tone for the page.  I used a green background with lines for the forum and the lavenderish version of the image used on the home page is here:

THEN I simply use a CENTERED TABLE to hold the stuff on the page!
That particular page, the table is fixed size and will not adjust.
On other pages, I have set the table to EXPAND (% of screen).

In the big 3-column table, I have other tables....I control the colors or transparency of my tables, adjusting the border lines to show or not depending on the effect I want.

The centered table is often used to control the look of the page. And when you have images and text, the table does a nice job of holding the pieces of your site where YOU want them.

The BORDER you speak of really doesn't exist.  :)  It is simply the background that will appear if the window is WIDER than the table being displayed.  I built tables to fit 800x600 resolutions and on some larger resolutions the table looks tiny. Since I still use 800x600 at work, I want my site to look decent when I am looking at it on that monitor.  I set my home monitor to 800x600 before I open CSB, then work in my design file. If it fits in that window, it will fit on 800x600 browser window without having a lower scroll bar.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• eugenepictureframing
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 02:31:07 AM »
OK...I am starting with a blank page (white) ... then I added some color to it. So how do you do the "centered table?" Whenever I put a table on a page it is always stuck in the left side of the page. No matter where I put my cursor and beginning line ... the table always starts on the left margin and I can't move it toward center.... again I am using Cute 3 ... I await your reply master!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 09:26:47 PM »
You will cry when you find out how easy this is...!   >:D   
One of those silly little nothing things most people miss until shown.

Put your table on the page.
Right click it and choose SELECT > TABLE.  This highlights the table itself.
Now simply click the CENTER option on your toolbar, near the BOLD ITALIC UNDERLINE options.
Done.

You can place tables inside tables. I do it all the time.
There will be space BELOW an inner table that you can not get rid of.
Use that space for image, or other text.

Oh...I forgot....
Go to the middle of this page discussing frames to the section that says Consider using blank pages instead of borders.
That sections shows you the TABLE layers that I was using when I built the home page and another on the site. Might give you a better view of how the tables were put together.

Take a look at this page for some table info that is still accurate for CSB 3 and 4.

(moved thread to the CSB general area of forum)
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )