Author Topic: missing and renamed photos  (Read 5885 times)

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
missing and renamed photos
« on: February 28, 2009, 12:34:33 PM »
Sami... we (I) got a problem...  :(   :-[

Something happened during the uploading process of the new site... i guess.

When I was rebuilding the Capture Gallery images, I checked ONE by ONE each link from the thumbnail image in CSB with the large one FTPded separately to the server, just to be sure that I was not committing errors. Everything worked just fine.

Well, now a lot of thumbnail links don't work AND are linked to a CSB GENERATED NUMBER (?). All those links were made to a NAMED image which I FTP one by one to the server, in fact they were OK during working with CSB AND in the test  subdirectory.

The large pics FTPded ARE NOT on the server anymore... amazing   :o   :v8slap:.
If you go to the gallery, you will notice that when rolling the mouse over the thumbnail pics, you will notice which pictures are not linked properly: the ones linked to a NUMBER instead of to a NAME.

Same thing happened with SAME thumbnails that are repeated in other pages...

What could happened? 

I was looking on your site to find info about NOT TO CHECK "Save copy of exported HTML locally" when publishing, because I think I did check it to have a copy on my computer... but I couldn't find it. Could that be the cause?

h**p://www.iarfish.com

T
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: missing and renamed photos
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 01:28:46 PM »
I am on your gallery.   h**p://www.iarfish.com/id47.htm
Most of your links work on that page. 

Your THUMBNAIL images are numbered because you put the small images into a table in CSB.
The program renames the images with serial numbers.
Each thumbnail should link to a large photo. 
The LARGE photos are all named by you, ftp'd to the site by you and they are all on your server.

BUT...You have a few links that are pointing to wrong addresses.
This is not a CSB problem.  It did nothing wrong.
This is YOUR problem.   You need to tell it which photo you want to see in your link. 

Mouse over your current gallery page ONLINE using IE. 
You will see the link address when you mouse over the images.
You can quickly see which of the thumbnails you need to relink!
(you can do that on any of your web pages)

Open CSB on your gallery page.
Right click the thumbnail, choose URL STYLE LINK and type in the manual address you want.
examples:
this works:     h**p://www.iarfish.com/Spirritu_Monserrato.jpg   
      because it links to the photo   Spirritu_Monserrato.jpg 
this works:      Spirritu_Monserrato.jpg   
      if the photo is in the SAME DIRECTORY as the web page you only need the image name.
this doesn't:   h**p://www.iarfish.com/6d02c290.jpg   
      because it links to the photo   6d02c290.jpg
      and that is not the name of the photo you need.
      Setting your link with URL style will resolve that issue.

There is a glitch in CSB 4 and CSB 5 that makes you have to uncheck the Save copy of exported HTML locally item in Publishing options.  Leaving it checked CAN cause CSB to delete KNOWN items from the server, by accident.  The good thing is that if you uncheck it and republish, it all comes back. But this is not YOUR issue.

CSB can not remove things it does not know about.  When you change things and publish again, it checks the list CSB sent to your website: TlxTransfer.txt  and publishes only the changes it knows about.
- If it knows you had page id111.htm and you delete it from your design file, the next time you publish, it removes that page.
- If you change from FRAMED pages to NON-FRAMED pages, it knows that and your old frames are removed from the site.

CSB can not remove files (photos, web pages, folders, music, etc) from your website that was never loaded with CSB.  It can not 'see" those files.

Having said all that...if your images WERE missing from the site, you could always reload them! 
You were given the instruction to copy EVERYTHING ON YOUR SITE to your own computer.
You did, just in case.
Since you had a copy of the website EXACTLY AS IT WAS before you started the project, you would have had all the images available to reupload them! 
Bad things can happen (as you know) and having that backup set of files would allow you to FIX goofs, if they occur.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 01:36:21 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
I linked ALL images this way:
this works:     h**p://www.iarfish.com/Spirritu_Monserrato.jpg   

I didn't linked this way:
because I didn't even KNOW the existence of that number...

I linked ALL thumbnails to his PARENT and KNOWN IMAGE NAME previously FTPd, I can assure it without any doubts. The problem was caused by another reason...

Misterio... ^-^
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 07:05:34 PM »
ADMIN NOTE:  This post is combined from 2 other threads of other topics (crash, backups) in order to provide clarity on topic and easier navigation.

Just to clear this, from two post behind:
quote:
      because it links to the photo   6d02c290.jpg
      and that is not the name of the photo you need.
      Setting your link with URL style will resolve that issue.

How could I link to that photo number if it was created by CSB AFTER publishing?
Even more, that photo with that number does not exist on the server, nor all the other image numbers that presented the problem. All those original named photos disappear from the server, believe me, and were substituted by those numbers.
I DID link to a image names as I did with all hundreds of the other photos in the Gallery, one by one and TESTED one by one, just to be sure I wasn't committing spelling errors with the link.
I'm inclined to think on some kind of file corruption during publishing, that's why I was asking about check or not the option Save a copy of exported HTML locally during Publish

------------------------
response from Samrc:

As to the missing files....
You went back to an OLD tlx file and brought it forward. 
It is possible that some of those images were stored in your CSB file. If so, they were given numbers at some point. If the name of the file is remembered by CSB, it might have assigned those numbers....

------------------------
response from Tony41:

I really don't think so... I cleared everything before start rebuilding.
BTW, the missing photos were ALL new photos, FTPd during the same session with others that didn't present any problem. Forgive me if I repeat this, but after hours that it took me to build the Gallery (yo saw the size...) I spent another half hour to check ONE by ONE (even if I had already done it when linked) clicking on each thumbnail to be sure of the link. ALL worked OK. It was done in the test-area subdirectory, but photos were in the main sub.

I left undisturbed the OLD photos that were inserted in the WORKING Gallery during the whole rebuilding process..

---------------
response from Samrc:
As to the images issue....I have NEVER in the 9-10 years of using Trellix/CSB experienced what you describe.
CSB does not rename images that it does not know about.  It can't. There MUST be another step, something else that you have done or I do not understand... The program is too stable, too logical, too consistent and reacts the same for everyone.

The only thing that would make sense to me:
You opened the old tlx design file, file save as and gave it a new name.
Then deleted content AFTER you did the file save as/new name.
Began to build new content and just file saved as normal.

When you delete content, CSB (tlx design file) will still have knowledge of that content!  It is not gone. It is not erased, completely deleted from the file!  Visually it looks like it is gone but the tlx design file will have memory of that content until you do a FILE SAVE AS and give it a new name! That File Save As and new name compacts the file and deletes old code, old data that is no longer needed.  Sometimes that old data will INTERFERE with new data!

Years ago, a CSB user had a 90MB file that was acting strangely.  Turned out he had deleted a TON of content, lots web pages and lots of photos and never done a FILE SAVE AS and new name.  The file was never compacted.  He could not see his old stuff, it was gone from the tlx design file for him but the code remained in the file where he could not see it.  Once he compacted the file, his file went down to only 45MB and the old code and memory was GONE.

You did not need to check each link!  Only the ones that were not working. As I mentioned, you could have just used your MOUSE to check which was broken...Taken 2 minutes to verify the entire page online.  The fix would have taken another few minutes to type the picture name.

But may be you have an exception to all the rules....  :surrender:
On the bright side, since you did your backup, you still had all the proper pictures to upload back to the site!

---------------------------

As to the images issue....
CSB does not rename images ...
I agree with you, something strange happened, but it happened. Amazing.

- Say you mail me a big Dragon Fly photo to be inserted into my gallery.
- I copy that photo in my "To be published" folder and name it dragon_fly.jpg, then, I use Cute FTP program to upload it to my main server's directory. Right?
- I open Photoshop, resize the original to a thumbnail and rename it with dragon_flyM.jpg. Next, I insert this small picture into my gallery, and then click on it and select Link tool> Create Link to URL or File..., here I typed h**p://www.blablabla.com/dragon_fly.jpg > OK?
To be sure that I didn't make misspellings with the link, I click on the thumbnail to verify. Everything OK, the big picture dragon_fly opens in a separate windows.

I did this with ALL images.

After publishing and noticing the NOT FOUND error a couple of days later, I went to check the link on the thumbnail image and it was linked to h**p://www.blablabla.com/6d02c290.jpg !!
Even more: dragon_fly.jpg WASN'T ON THE SERVER ANYMORE and 6d02c290.jpg does not exist ANYWARE, NOT ON THE SERVER NOR ON THE DESIGN FILE (did I use 'NOR' correctly?)

I have no explanation for this.

You did not need to check each link!  Only the ones that were not working. As I mentioned, you could have just used your MOUSE to check which was broken...
Yes, I know that rollover tip, but if you misspelled typing the link, it wouldn't tell you and the link will not work.
It was just a double check. I did use that option after noticing the problem, to find all those links that were not working... Ah! only seven or eight out of >150 photos failed.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 10:02:46 AM by Samrc »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 08:53:22 PM »
 ???  ???  ???  ???  ???  ???

You still have a bad link for

Tell me....
Is that picture anywhere else on the site?  Is the LARGER image anywhere else on the site?
Right click the thumbnail, properties.  Check it.
   -What is the name of the photo? 
   -Does it show the right name and location for the thumbnail?
   -Is the size correct?

You have some images that are in different sizes throughout your website like this one:

Her large picture is manually FTP'd to your website (linked from the gallery) AND also inside the CSB file.
- If you had deleted her image or the pages she was on but not compacted the file afterward CSB would remember a NUMBER for her photograph when you try to load it to the web.
- If her larger picture is in the CSB file, CSB assigns a number to that photograph (as done on your home page).
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the image is already in CSB in another format 
???

Please file save as to compact the file again, giving the file a new name to clear out old code.

May I suggest you do it in a two step process? Break the chain.
1) Open your tlx file, put in your thumbnails and preview.  Try clicking the PREVIEW to test your links.
(Make sure your Photoshop is closed and none of the pictures is being edited)
2) Insert the link on each image. And publish.
Might help. Worth a try.  Can't hurt anything.  :D

:surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 10:06:11 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 09:10:15 AM »

<<<You still have a bad link for >>>
In this particular case I have my doubts... I could swear I fixed it when fixed the other "Francesco's" photos (ALL Francesco (4) presented the problem), but I'm not 100% sure, but it is also true that it's very difficult that I fix the others adjacent and leave this one untouched AND untested!

<Tell me...>
<Is that picture anywhere else on the site? >
NO

<Is the LARGER image anywhere else on the site?>
NO

<What is the name of the photo? >
'francesco.jpg' on CSB, (properties)  59c644c0.jpg on the server  (thumbnail)
'francesco_ricciola.jpg' is the larger photo on the server

<Does it show the right name and location for the thumbnail?>
 YES

<Is the size correct?>
YES 100W x 76H px

This morning, I let the PC to search in the whole computer the '6f22ce30.jpg' image for me (the phantom link).
Guess what... it was found IN A TOP DESK FOLDER WERE I DOWNLOADED THE WHOLE WORKING WEBSITE BEFORE UPLOADING THE NEW ONE!! and correspond to the LARGER image that is currently on the server (called 'francesco_ricciola.jpg).

I got to say that BEFORE uploading the new site, I copied the entire site on that folder and then CLEARED the server selecting ALL and delete. Only when the server was EMPTY I upload the new one.

How could we explain this?  ??? ???  :ss-shocked:  :v8slap:
I'm sorry for not keeping the other failed numbers to see if they were also in that folder...

I will leave the second part of your post unanswered for later discussion, I got to work...

:)

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 09:42:26 AM »
CORRECTION:

I didn't delete ALL on the server before loading the new site... I left all the NAMED images (large pictures FTPd)  ;)

T

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 10:30:52 AM »
Ok.  Your original site had some numbered links. :clapping:  That's good! 

When you removed the numbered photos from the server, you broke the link to your own photos.
It is obvious that at some point last year CSB handled those photos!
At some point it assigned numbers to those photos and uploaded them to the original site, before your rebuild!
So there is a memory of those photo numbers in the program!

Since the photos were on the server and link content matched, the links were intact working.

Since I had you download the WHOLE website "As-Is" before making changes (backup against disaster while you rebuild), you have your old GALLERY page in your backup copies.
You will find that SOME of those thumbnails on the old site were linked to NUMBERED images.
You will find all the large NUMBERED images in that batch too, if you wanted to look for them!
At any time you can go back to see how it was then!
You could open that gallery html page in your browser and mouse over the images.
You can read View source if necessary to see the link photo name.

But I think it is not necessary any more. 
CSB tlx file HAD A MEMORY of those images at some time in the past as I said.
You proved my theory by finding the file in your backup copies!
 :boogie: :boogie: :boogie:

So I go back to:
Compact the file (FILE SAVE AS and give it a NEW name).
(Note that file save as without a new name does NOT compact the file)
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 03:53:23 PM »
Ok.  Your original site had some numbered links. :clapping:  That's good! 

???

:noshake:
Nope
Good your theory, but this is not the case... :noshake:

Come on Sami,  :D What make you think that? I have never linked to a CSB NUMBERED IMAGE! How could I?
The numbered photo found in that folder is an image within the design file that was uploaded by CSB... that's why IS a numbered image. I have always linked to an FTP uploaded pic and, obviously, having a name imposed by myself. :yes:

The photo found wasn't a linked image  ;) >:D

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 03:38:51 PM »
I never said YOU linked to a numbered page.
I said CSB linked to a numbered page!
And that CSB handled a FEW of your photos for you.

It is obvious that at some point last year CSB handled those photos!
At some point it assigned numbers to those photos and uploaded them to the original site, before your rebuild!
So there is a memory of those photo numbers in the program! 

-Samantha