Author Topic: var TlxPgNm=  (Read 5785 times)

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
    • www.ResolveChurchConflict.com
var TlxPgNm=
« on: August 28, 2009, 11:39:20 AM »
Samantha,

Greetings and Salutations!   :yes:

Quick question.  How important is the "var TlxPgNm= " line of code?  For example, does it help with search engines?  I appreciate your input!

Ken :thankyousign:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: var TlxPgNm=
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 12:41:23 PM »
That line is actually part of a javascript entry that is put into all CSB/Trellix pages.
It simply defines a javascript variable that matches the page name.
Example... This page h**p://www.samisite.com/quilting.htm
has this code:
Code: [Select]
<SCRIPT language="JavaScript">
var TlxPgNm='quilting';
</SCRIPT>

If you use anchors or frames that script is VERY important.
May be used in your page in other ways by Trellix/CSB with elements are added to the page.

(moved your post to the CSB General area for faster reference.)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 12:46:40 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 01:05:20 PM »
Samantha,

When the var TlxPgNm= doesn't match the actual title page name, what you see on the website for that page is the var TlxPgNm name.  Is that problematic in anyway - that is - when the two don't match?

Thanks.

Ken

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 02:36:09 PM »
Have never seen it not match, with the exception of framed pages which use separate pages patched together with scripts (like a quilt).

Can I see a sample of a page that does not match?
Did you manually edit the HTML code for any reason?
Or run a parser/HTML code verification on the page that removed "excess" code?

The script is harmless and should be left alone.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 03:14:28 PM »
One page of my website reads,

h**p://resolvechurchconflict.com/testimonials.htm

The actual title is much longer.

I just set it up that way way back when.

I guess no harm.

Any advantage?

Thanks.

Ken
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 06:21:41 PM by Samrc »

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 05:18:49 PM »
Looks like manual editing to me but why does it not match the title? There is no iframe in the page.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 06:18:12 PM »
<META name="author" content="Dr. Kenneth C. Newberger">
var TlxPgNm='testimonials';
</SCRIPT>
<META http-equiv="GENERATOR" CONTENT="Created with CuteSITE Builder, HTML Exporter 5.0.150">

As I said, it matches the PAGE NAME.  I never said the variable matches the TITLE.
And your sample matches the page NAME perfectly.   testimonials.htm
And links, frames, and other code need to know what the page name is sometimes so CSB creates a variable with that information stored.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 07:18:32 PM »
OK.

So which is the more critical - the tlxpgnm or the title?  What if a page only has a title and not the other?  Is that problematic?

Thanks!!!

Ken

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 08:19:45 PM »
I really don't understand your questions.   ??? ??? ???
You are trying to compare a watermelon with a ruler.  
Totally different things. Totally different uses.  Neither is needed by the other. Yet each has a purpose.

You are using CSB 5 so this is what your Page Properties box looks like:

EVERY web page has a name (FILE NAME field in CSB5, SHORT NAME field in CSB3 &4).
You have called a couple of your pages testimonials.htm, index.htm and many more.
CSB generates html web pages based on how you NAME them in CSB. Simple. Fact.
That page name becomes part of the website address, the URL of the web page.
And the sample shown above shows the web page name is pageprop.htm

CSB3 and 4 would name the page with a numerical id id11.htm, etc when the SHORT NAME field was left blank.
CSB 5 will try to pull an page name from the TITLE field if you check the box to do that.  I do not recommend it because your TITLE may have punctuation that should NEVER be in a web page address.

Each of those pages has a tiny script  that CSB input that sets a variable to match that page name.
Whatever YOU name that webpage in CSB, will show up in that tiny script.  
It is harmless, leave it alone. Do not change it. No need to remove or edit it for any reason.

TlxPgNm means TLX (trellix/csb program) Pg (Page)  Nm (Name)

NONE of that HAS ANY IMPACT ON A PAGE TITLE. At All.  
Separate entries into your web page properties.
The TITLE is simply a short phrase that defines the page. Can be left empty and it will NOT break anything.
A TITLE is not necessary.  Many of my samisite.com pages have no title. Don't need them to function, or for presentation on that page.  Ex: my samisite.com home page.... no title, family pics page has no title.  
Some others do.  Ex: my iframes tutorial page has the title "iFrame Tutorial - IFrames described in detail!"
Personal choice.

What has caused your questions...?  I am confused why this is an issue after years of using the program?

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 09:20:40 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 08:31:44 PM »
Thanks for your extended reply.  It gives me insight into how things work.

I recently created a new website using a pre-packaged html design.  However, one still needs to work it some to make it work.  I copy alot of my work in CSB and then download it into this new program.  This is what started me down this route. 

I wish CSB would have soldiered on.  But since it isn't, I am looking at a different alternative.  FYI - my new website is, www.HopeintheFaceofConflict.com.  It is a work in progress.  I still get plenty of hits on my old site, www.ResolveChurchConflict.com.  So I have a foot in both worlds.  With your helpful ways throughout, your perspective is more angelic!

Thanks.

Ken

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 10:25:16 PM »
AHHH!  :idea:
I KNEW there was a REASON for the question that would help to understand why you were asking those questions.

No other software will insert the Script and you will not need it. Specific to CSB for it's own purposes.
var TlxPgNm='testimonials';
</SCRIPT>

What software/program are you using to create that site?  Would you be willing to post a critque about pro/con of that type of designer to help others (just your experience what you liked/didn't like, what you found missing, etc)?
We are trying to assist folks as they move into other software, and beyond. 
CSB users are a great bunch and hate to see all scatter to the far winds.
Would be nice to have a central help site for SEVERAL types of web building software going forward....

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 11:48:52 PM »
Samantha,

It is not really a program.  You buy the template and then personalize it.  The staff there is very helpful with free email support.

Take a look at this page:  http://allwebcodesign.com/setup/webmaster-drop.htm

Requires one to become familiar with html, filezilla, and the like.  I use the CSB code to build some of my pages.

This is probably not for the fainthearted, or those pressed for time.  I am still learning and am not in a position yet to give an accurate assessment.  For most people, I would think, this would be too hard.  (Way back when, I used to be a programmer (in COBOL).  That experience has provided me with a confidence I can learn what I need to if I persevere).

I guess I will remove the var TlxPgNm = from the code.  (Although I have found that the more descriptive the Title, the better response I get with Google search engine - Hence long titles, short page names).

Yes, you built a great community, and now people are wandering, but always nice to check in with mama bear from time to time.

Keep up the good work!

Ken 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 12:35:18 AM »
 :D
I feel like a momma bird, helping her young learn to fly on their own. 
But really enjoy when they come back to visit!  :yes:
-Samantha