Author Topic: Static ? What is it ?  (Read 3514 times)

Offline hidden

Static ? What is it ?
« on: October 03, 2009, 09:44:15 PM »
Can someone offer an explantation regarding static in CSB5 ?
What is it ?
How is it used ?
Is there an advantage in creating it ?

Thanks
 :-\
Arthur H

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Static ? What is it ?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 06:14:46 PM »
"Static in CSB 5?"
Static what? 

I have no idea what you are asking about...maybe you have part of a concept that without telling us more we can't help you.

If we knew what you read, what was the discussion about, where did you hear of this "static" something?
Then we could put it in context and understand how to direct you.

Static means fixed or stationary condition. But that could refer to a FRAMED website, an iframe, static content while other parts are not static....what you YOU mean?
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 04:06:28 PM »
Well in 1 of my Web Design books it referenced to Static page and Dynamic page. it did not give any explanation nor have I found one that I can understand.
I was wondering if I was missing out on something but I think not.
So far internet search I haven't found anything so it must not be that important.
Thanks

Arthur H
 :thankyousign:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 11:22:57 PM »
Ok... Now that I have the context let me try to explain:

CSB builds STATIC web pages.  They have fixed content.  Everyone that visits the page sees the same thing.  You put images, text, etc and other content that remains the same from hour to hour, day to day.  You might edit the page daily but nothing your visitor does causes change on the page.

You can place "dynamic content" into a static page.  For example, a weather bulletin from weatherunderground.com (or one of the weather services) can change every time you load the page, providing NEW fresh temperature readings.  Other "dynamic content" can be RSS feeds, and scripted elements that change for your visitor, while keeping the basic page design static.

Go to MSN.com and similar sites and you will see DYNAMIC web pages that use server-side scripts to create constantly changing fresh content. Each time you visit, you have the same layout, but different articles and images. Some read browser settings and adjust content to fit, or offer content based on shopping history, offering similar products or content, interactive experience.  Amazon.com offers books, music, toys, etc based on previous purchases...  Some simple dynamic pages allow visitors to define colors, mood, etc for the page, or update content every 5 minutes, etc.

Hope that helps clear up the difference.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )